01 Facebook Landscape in APAC
02 Building Your Strategy
03 Engaging Your Community
05 Adding Scale & Impact
06 Measuring Success
07 3 Facebook Trends to Watch
08 What NOT to Do
09 How-to Resources
Regional Director | 360° Digital Influence
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide
Are you using Facebook for your business?
Social networks are diverse,
but trending the same way
“Facebook is a social network that helps people
communicate more efficiently with their friends,
family and co-workers. Anyone can sign up for
Facebook and interact with the people they
know in a trusted environment.”
How are People Using Facebook?
• 200 million active users worldwide
• 30% of users are from the US
• 2nd most visited web site in the world
• 850 million photos, 7 million videos, and 28 million pieces of
content are uploaded each month
• More than 95% of Facebook members have used at least one
application built on Facebook Platform
• More than 4 million users become fans of Pages each day
US Embassy Jakarta Facebook Fan Page
The US Embassy Jakarta Facebook Fan
Page was launched mid-January 2009.
Run locally at the Embassy in Jakarta.
Today, the Embassy’s two consulates
Medan and Surabaya have their own
US Embassy Jakarta Facebook Fan Page
Although Indonesia only has 10% internet penetration, it is one of
the top Facebook-using countries in the world!
Facebook Tool Box
Facebook offers an ever-expanding array of tools for brands to connect with fans
• Brand Fan Pages
A Facebook Page is a public profile that enables you to share your business and products
with Facebook users. Pages are similar to personal profiles and brands accumulate fans
instead of friends. Within pages you have the option of posting and collecting content,
importing Twitter and blog feeds, collecting user reviews, and hosting discussions.
An application is a platform for developers which provides a framework to build tools which
Facebook users can add to their profile. Applications range from chat to games to mobile.
Facebook Connect and Facebook Share are additions to your brand’s existing web site or
blog which allow you to integrate their Facebook presence with other online media.
Facebook Connect is an open identifier which allows users to take their Facebook profile
with them when they shop, comment, or browse on other web sites.
Facebook offers banner advertising which can target age, gender, location, relationship
status and interest, or music and lifestyle interests.
4 Elements of a Successful Facebook Strategy
1. ENGAGE 2. DRIVE ACTION 3. ADD SCALE 4. MEASURE
• Find and engage • Provide • Leverage offline • Reach
existing fans applications that events
• Host discussions enlist ambassadors
• Advertise through
and provide useful • Provide coupons to existing media
resources track purchases • Engagement
• Add your social
• Invite fans to • Hosts contests Web links to your - Discussions,
upload content with opt-ins for brand Web site content, reviews,
further contact and posts
• Provide branded
digital goods • Action
- Contest entries
- Coupons redeemed
- Purchases driven
- Web traffic driven
Your Facebook Strategy Checklist
Complete this checklist of questions to build a successful Facebook strategy for your brand
before you jump in.
What is the engagement value: what can you offer people that they will find
Are you ready to respond to your customers and encourage them to talk
about your brand?
Are you ready to make a commitment beyond a campaign?
How will your other marcom strategies integrate with Facebook?
What assets - tools and content – can you leverage?
Do you have your company behind you and resources available?
How will you measure success?
Engaging Your Community
You’ve built a strategy
and set up a Fan Page.
Engaging Your Community
3 ways to engage your Facebook community:
1. Reach out to current brand fans.
2. Host discussions around your customers’ interests.
3. Provide fans with branded digital goods.
Engaging Your Community
1. Identify existing communities…
“There must be a call to action or reason for Facebook
users to engage with the brand – there must be
-Kristin Foster, Ogilvy Digital Strategist
3 ways to activate your Facebook community:
1. Provide coupons and exclusive offers for fans
2. Offer applications that provide value or support a cause
3. Host contests and promotions that drive users to a landing page
Adding Scale & Impact
3 ways to increase the scale and impact of your program:
1. Utilize social ads & targeted advertising within Facebook to reach
users in specific locations, interest groups, or age ranges.
2. Leverage your existing media presence to drive traffic to your
3. Highlight your Facebook presence at offline events
“Successful brands establish success
metrics prior to beginning any
-Kevin Barenblat, Context Optional
• Number of fans for brandpages
• Number of brand mentions on walls
• Number of news updates x fans
• Ad impressions
• Number of discussion topics
• Number of wall posts on brandpage
• Number of wallposts (measured by Lexicon)
• Number and tone of reviews posted
Engagement • Amount of content or offers shared
• Video views
• Click through rates for advertisements
• Number of contest entries
• Number of applications downloaded
• Offline actions driven by coupons or special offers
Action • Web traffic generated
KFC Australia fan page live
Sunday 14 June supported by
Facebook engagement ads
Cayan Grill coupon linked to
fan page Tuesday 16 June
KFC fans multiply by 1000s: Event image
Thursday 24,500 10.4 million
Friday 29,900+ impressions
Monday 50,000+ 18-29 YO’s
Sydney, Cayan landing page
6 July 83,700+ Melbourne,
3 Trends to Watch: Facebook Connect
– Your website
– Your blog
– Your iPhone application
– Seamlessly "connect" their Facebook
account and information with your site
– Connect and find their friends who also use
– Share information and actions on your site
with their friends on Facebook
3 Trends to Watch: Mobile Social Networking
• Facebook had 20 million
unique viewers per month
accessing Facebook mobile
• By 2010 mobile social
network users worldwide
are expected to reach 369
• As of March 2009, users can
instantly sign up to become
brand fans through SMS.
3 Trends to Watch: Gift Monetization
• November 2008 Facebook switches
the cash value of gift for credits.
$1.00= 100 credits.
• April 2009: Facebook begins
testing an option to give friends
credits as social capital.
• Currently, brands can sell virtual
gifts for 100-200 credits.
• In the future, people may be able
to exchange credits for an
expanding array of Facebook
• DON’T filter your fans reviews or content simply to protect your messaging.
• DON’T spam fans with messages or invitations to their inboxes.
• DON’T violate Facebook’s Terms of Service.
• DON’T ignore unofficial fan pages or groups.
• DON’T alienate unofficial fan pages or groups.
• DON’T abandon your fans.
• DON’T let your PR agency run your page. Authenticity counts.
• DON’T be afraid of negative comments.
• DON’T leave negative or inflamatory comments unresponded to.
• DON’T engage in practices you would never consider outside of Facebook.
• DON’T forget about existing content you can repurpose
• Asia Digital Map: http://www.asiadigitalmap.com/category/facebook
• The Facebook Blog: http://blog.facebook.com/
• Mashable: http://mashable.com/
• Inside Facebook: http://www.insidefacebook.com/
• Facebook’s Developer’s Wiki:
• Full Interview with Kevin Barenblat: http://tinyurl.com/Kevin-Barenblat-Interview
• Full Interview with Mike Hoefflinger :
• Full Interview with Kristin Foster: http://blog.ogilvypr.com/
• The Daily Influence: http://thedailyinfluence.com/
• Create a brand page: http://tinyurl.com/create-a-brand-page
• Optimize your brand page: http://tinyurl.com/optimize-a-brand-page
• Learn about advertising pricing and FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/Facebook-ad-FAQs
• Buy targeted advertising: http://tinyurl.com/buy-facebook-ads
• Create an application: http://tinyurl.com/build-facebook-apps
• Add Facebook Connect to your blog: http://tinyurl.com/add-facebook-connect
• Search on Lexicon: http://www.facebook.com/lexicon/
• Brainstorm keywords using Google’s Keyword Tool:
One company that goes with this online-initiated flow is
Ogilvy Public Relations.
Asia-Pacific Director | 360° Digital
Ogilvy Hong Kong
p +852 6397 1662
25 China Experts you should follow on
Twitter… Thomas Crampton
Regional Director | 360° Digital
p +61 2 8281 3853
Ogilvy's digital specialist Brian Giesen outlined the
best strategies for getting business results on social
networking site Twitter.
For case studies...