Quick Facts about the CEE region
The largest countries:
Russia: 143.6 mil.
Turkey: 75.62 mil.
Ukraine: 45.48 mil.
Poland: 38.53 mil.
Romania: 20 mil.
Czech Republic: 10.5 mil.
of the region
Food Supply Chain in CEE markets
In different countries the supply chain can have its local specifics:
● In large markets major retailers work through a number of local distributors located in different
● Some large retailers order certain products from producers directly, especially in small markets
● Importers/ distributors deliver to retailers avoiding a wholesaler
● Some retail networks work through their preferred distributor/s ONLY
● Many large retailers and also distributors have very strict requirements for product suppliers
(special forms to be completed, quality tests run etc., before they decide whether to accept your
Food retail specifics and market trends in CEE
• While in Western Europe the majority of
foods is distributed to the end customer
through modern retail formats, in some
CEE countries (e.g. Russia, Ukraine,
Belarus), the major distribution channel for
some products is still open markets, kiosks
• At the same time, from year to year
modern retail formats capture a bigger
• In Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovenia,
Slovakia, Baltics and some other CEE
countries modern retail formats prevail but
open markets can not be ignored as they
still account for a considerable share in
What to expect from buyers in CEE
• In some countries getting your product to retail chains
can be a challenge for various reasons
• Negotiation experience with major retail chains is often
not very pleasant for suppliers
• Payment terms vary from country to country but as a
rule, payments are made in 30-45 days. However, some
retail chains can delay payments for up to 120 days
• Delivery terms. Products are usually delivered to
Retailer’s Central Warehouse. In some cases, it is the
supplier’s obligation to organise product deliveries to
every single store. In such case, deliveries are made to
the Distributor’s Central Warehouse.
• Well-established personal contact is important. At the
same time, Purchasing Managers get replaced quite
• Price is often the main decisive factor
Contact us for more tips and insights
Follow us in social media (click on icon):
Visit our website: