Land Area: 15,610.00 hectares
Classification: Highly Urbanized City
No. of Barangays: 61 Barangays – (41 Urban, 20 Rural)
Population: 429,076 (May 1, 2000) – 453,873 (2005 Projection)
Language: Hiligaynon/Ilonggo/English is spoken and understood
Prior to the coming of the Spaniards in Negros in 1565, there existed a small village near the mouth of the
Magsungay river inhabited by Malayans who belong to the “Taga-ilog” group. The early missionaries
placed the village of Magsungay under the protection of St. Sebastian in 1700s and was later known as
“San Sebastian de Magsungay”. In 1770, Bernardo de los Santos became its first Governadorcillo or
Capitan municipal. Its first parish priest was Fr. Leon Pedro, having been appointed as Propitario of
Bacolod in 1806.
Due to the rampant attack of Moro pirates, the villagers moved inland and established a new settlement
on a hilly terrain they called Buklod, the forerunner of its present name, “Bacolod”. Gradually, the people
left the hilly terrain which later became known as Camingawan (loneliness).
In 1849, then Gov. Valdevieso y Morquecho declared Bacolod as the capital of the whole island of
Negros. Subsequently, with the splitting of Negros into two provinces, Bacolod was named capital of the
province of Negros Occidental in 1884.
On October 19, 1938, Bacolod became the fifth chartered city during the Commonwealth period under
President Manuel L. Quezon, with Alfredo Montelibano, Sr. as its appointed chief executive.
From a mere settlement in the hills with only about 5,000 people in 1770, Bacolod has developed into a
highly urbanized city in 1984. In 1996, Bacolod was named one of the “Outstanding Cities of the
Philippines”. It was also adjudged the “Cleanest and Greenest Highly Urbanized City” in the country in
1997, 1998 and 2000, 2001, respectively.
How to Get There
The gateway to Negros Occidental, Bacolod City is 55 minutes from Manila by air, with Philippine Airlines,
Air Philippines and Cebu Pacific Air providing daily flights. Bacolod is 30 minutes from Cebu City by air,
with daily flights provided by Philippine Airlines on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday and Cebu
Pacific Air on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
It is an 18-hour cruise from Manila aboard world class vessels of Negros Navigation Company and
SuperFerry. Aboard fast sea crafts, Bacolod is one-hour from Iloilo City. By land-and-sea travel, it is 7-
hour from Cebu City. Terminals for buses plying northern and southern Negros Occidental are located
within Bacolod City.
Bacolod City is located on the northwestern coast of the Province of Negros Occidental. It is bounded on
the northwest by the City of Talisay, on the east and southwest by the City of Bago and on the West by
International Direct Dialing (IDD), Telex, Facsimile, Cellular Phones, Radio, E-mail, Worldwide Express
Delivery, Postal Service and Telegraph Services are available. Telephone Area Code is 034.
Bacolod’s famous landmarks include beautiful 19th century mansions of sugar barons, historical
monuments and churches during the Spanish era.
The San Sebastian Cathedral is located in downtown Bacolod. It was originally a small chapel which
became a cathedral in 1933. The structure, made of coral stones from Guimaras Island was completed
in 1882. Beside the cathedral is the Palacio Episcopal or Bishop’s Palace constructed in 1830.
The Sta. Clara Chapel in Sta. Clara Subdivision features a large mural mosaic of Barangay Sang
Birhen, a local version of the Virgin Mary made of 95,000 pieces of polished shells. The stations of the
cross, the images of the saints and altar pieces are a collage 30,000 Philippine shells.
The San Antonio Abad Church showcases national artist Solomon Saprid’s masterwork “The Risen
The Provincial Capitol Building was built in 1927 using the Neo-Roman architectural design of
American Daniel Burnham executed by Filipino Architect Juan Arellano. In July 2001, Gov. Joseph G.
Marañon initiated the rehabilitation of the Capitol. It was inaugurated on June 23, 2004.
Arts, Crafts and Shopping
With the development of the sugar industry in 1950’s, Bacolod’s prominent families have acquired fine
antique collections. Some are on sale in the city’s antique shops, others can be viewed in ancestral
homes or private collections. Good buys include shell craft, ceramic wares and woodcrafts. Weaving
centers produce “hablon”, a locally developed fabric which was the rave in the 1960’s.
The ANP Negros Showroom is a one-stop shop selling export-quality products such as garments, gift
items, decorative objects, handicrafts, shell craft and pastries.
Central Market at the downtown area displays native products, textiles, native delicacies and fresh fruits.
Bacolod Shellcraft and Artwares has a collection of Philippine and Negrense shells which are made into
exquisite mosaics, house accessories and gift items.
Casa Grande Antiques, Recuerdos de Bacolod and Sarlee’s sell fine furniture, heirloom pieces, antique
“Santos” or wooden images of saints and curio items.
Sports and Leisure Activities
Bacolod offers the sportsman various outdoor activities like water sports, tennis, mountain climbing and
its biggest attraction-golf.
Bacolod is the golf center of Visayas. Its world-class courses have produced some of the country’s best
Bacolod Golf and Country Club in Hda. Binitin, has a tight and compact 18-hole layout in a sugar
plantation setting. It has a clubhouse, restaurant, swimming pool and locker rooms. It is open for tourists.
For information call Tel. No. (034) 446-1794.
Negros Occidental Golf and Country Club in Bata Subdivision has 18-hole golf course that will challenge
the intrepid golfers with its water hazards and the strong winds from Mt. Kanlaon. It has a clubhouse,
tennis courts and swimming pool. Tel. No.(034) 441-1190, Telefax 441-1191.
Festival – October 19
Experience Masskara Festival every month of October, a festive celebration where revelers dance in the
streets wearing colorful smiling masks and vibrant costumes.
Choices range from first class hotels to pension houses and inns. For style, comfort and elegance, there
are hotels accredited by the Department of Tourism. For nightlife lovers, the Filipino Casino Hotel is
situated right at the Goldenfield Commercial Complex. The L’Fisher Hotel located within the city caters to
businessmen and dignitaries.
Negros Island was originally called “Buglas”, an old native word that is thought to mean “cut-off.”
It is believed that Negros was once part of a greater mass of land but was cut off either by what
geologists all a continental drift or by rising waters during the so-called glacial age. Among its earliest
inhabitants were dark-skinned natives belonging to the Negrito ethnic group with their unique culture.
Thus, the Spaniards called the land “Negros” after the black natives whom they saw when they first came
to the island in April 1565. Two of the earliest native settlements were Binalbagan and Ilog, that later
became towns in 1573 and 1584, respectively. Other settlements were Hinigaran, Bago, Marayo (now
Pontevedra), Mamalan (now Himamaylan) and Candaguit (now a sitio in San Enrique).
After appointing encomenderos in the island, Miguel Lopez de Legaspi placed Negros under the
jurisdiction of the governor of Oton in Panay. In 1734, however, the island became a military district and
Ilog was made its first capital. The seat of government was later transferred to Himamaylan and thereafter
Bacolod became the capital in 1849.
The island remained a military district up to about the middle of the 19th century. Then in 1865, Negros
Occidental was raised to the category of a politico-military province. During this time, several more towns
were established like San Carlos and Calatrava.
Religious orders evangelized the province by turns: the Augustinians, Recollects, Jesuits, Dominicans,
Seculars and again, the Recollects returning in the 1800s.
The latter half of the 19th century was a period of rapid economic expansion for Negros Occidental as
evidenced by the growth of population resulting from the influx of immigrants coming from neighboring
provinces like Iloilo, Antique, Capiz and Cebu. They settled in districts sparsely inhabited in the past and
this resulted in the establishments of new towns: Saravia (now E.B. Magalona), Valladolid and Escalante
The major boom to the province at this time was the widespread cultivation of sugarcane and the opening
of ports like those in Iloilo and Cebu to foreign commerce. In 1856, Negros Occidental produced only
4,000 piculs of sugar. This increased to 100,000 piculs in 1864 and 2,000,000 in 1893. The cultivation of
sugarcane then became widespread and soon after Negros Occidental led other provinces in the
production of sugar. Modern machines were also introduced at this time and by 1864, seven machines
operated by steam were used in the towns of Bacolod, Minuluan (now Talisay and Bago).
During the last decade of the 19th century, several important events occurred in the history of Negros
Occidental. One was the making of Negros Occidental as a separate province from Negros Oriental in
1890. The other was when Negrense revolutionary troops led by Generals Aniceto Lacson and Juan
Araneta joined the nationwide-Katipunan Movement and overcame the Spanish garrison in the province
on November 5, 1898 when the Filipinos rose in arms against the Spanish rule. The revolt ended more
than 300 years of foreign domination.
This resulted in the establishment of the short lived “Cantonal Government of the Republic of Negros”
which reunited the two provinces until the Americans arrived in May 1899. A civil government was
established in Negros Occidental on April 20, 1901.
During the succeeding decades between 1901 and the 1930s, Negros Occidental was under the
American occupation as with the rest of the country. Nonetheless, the economic growth continued
especially with Philippine sugar having a part of the US market despite some accompanying socio-
economic problems during this period. When the Japanese landed in the province on May and instead
organized a free government and guerilla movement under Gov. Alfredo Montelibano, Sr. in Negros
Island. They helped bring about the surrender of the Japanese forces in Negros in 1945.The history of the
province for the post World War II period has yet to be formally written. Suffice it to briefly note here that
this was mainly a period of rehabilitation from the destruction of war. With the sugar industry, the major
pillar of the province’s economy, as well as other areas being revived, consequent socio-economic growth
in the province followed.
The socio-economic life of Negros Occidental from the 1950s up to the 1980s depended as before mainly
on the sugar industry. Producing annually about 60% of the country’s sugar output, an expansion in the
industry with the establishment of several new mills in the late 1960s spurred increased production. A
downturn caused by the low world sugar prices in the early 1980s was followed by possibly the worst
industry and province-wide crisis starting in 1984 with the world sugar prices hitting rock bottom in 1985.
The province was also hit by two destructive typhoons in 1984, Nitang and Undang, after a serious
drought in 1983.
The year 1985 also marked the period when Negros Occidental became known throughout the country
and abroad as suffering from historic socio-economic crisis. Various forms of international aid were sent
to Negros and many Negrenses , national and foreign government and government organizations,
responded in cooperation with the Philippine Government to help the province cope with the crisis.
While the country was simmering like a volcano that later erupted at EDSA in February 1986, Negros
Occidental was split into two provinces after a plebiscite in Cadiz on January 3, 1986. Negros Occidental
(mother province) was left with 3 cities and 18 municipalities while Negros del Norte (new province) had 3
cities and 8 municipalities starting from the City of Silay to the northern tip,San Carlos City, including the
new town of Don Salvador Benedicto. The creation of this new province was, however, opposed by the
Negros Anti-Partition Movement and the Supreme Court declared the creation unconstitutional on July
11, 1986. On August 18, 1986, Negros del Norte was formally returned to Negros Occidental, thus
making the province whole again.
Toward the end of 1987, the rays of hope started to shine when the overall economic situation showed an
upturn. The campaign for agricultural diversification had been gaining momentum, paving the way for
more landowners to invest in prawn farming, livestock and high-value crops such as fruits, vegetables
and other cash crops.Investments upswing became apparent by 1988. The participation of the industrial
sector accelerated consumer economic growth and development manifested by the increase in sales of
consumer goods and by-products.
However, just when the economic boom was beginning to seep in the overall economy of Negros
Occidental brought about by the acceleration of various economic activities, the recurring ills of the sugar
industry in the second half of the 1990′s slowed down the continuing economic uptrend of the province.
Nevertheless, with the widespread benefits brought about by the positive changes in the socio-economic
condition of the province by the 2000′s, clear sign of economic recovery for Negros Occidental is
Negros Occidental is located in the western side of Negros Island, the fourth largest island in the
Philippines with a total land area of 792,607 hectares or 7,926.06 sq. kms.
The province is approximately 375 kilometers long from north to south. It is bounded by the Visayan Sea
in the north, Panay Gulf on the west, Tanon Strait and Negros Oriental province on the east and Sulu Sea
on the south. Negros is basically volcanic, making its soil ideal for agriculture. Eighty percent of all arable
land is cultivated.
Mount Kanlaon is one of the mountain ranges found in the heart of Negros Island. One of the country’s
13 most active volcanoes, Kanlaon is the highest peak in Central Philippines. At an elevation of 2,465
meters above sea level, the most dominant and attractive feature of which is its active summit-crater. Mt.
Kanlaon has a land area of 24,577.6 hectares, with rainforest and verdant vegetation sliced from the
cities of Bago, La Carlota, San Carlos and Canlaon (in Negros Oriental) and the towns of Murcia and La
The trek trough ridges and deep gorges for 14.5 kilometers shows a panorama of lowlands and carved
mountains. An 8.5 kilometer ascent along sights of refreshing waterfalls and treacherous trails best
capture the moods of this unpredictable volcano. Rare endemic species such as the Bleeding Heart
Pigeon and the Negros Fruit Dove are protected in this park, which makes bird watching a prime
attraction. Other birds include woodpeckers, bulbuls, babblers, warblers and flycatchers. The Guintubdan
Nature Camp in La Carlota City is one of the best take-off points in climbing Mt. Kanlaon.
People, Culture and Arts
Sugar is central to the evolution of the Negrense culture. The affluence and the prosperity that the
industry brought to the province nourished a charming, genteel, sometimes lavish spirit that sets the
Negrense apart from his Ilonggo kinsman. Negrense are regarded as affectionate, generous, fun loving
people who enjoy the finer things in life. As a labor force, however, Negrenses are highly motivated,
educated, skilled, trainable and entrepreneurial individuals.
Negros pastries and confectionary are equally renowned, with guapple pie, piaya, barquillos, pinasugbo,
pastel de mangga, panyo-panyo, butong-butong and dulce gatas ranked among the favorites. Negros is
also presently giving Davao and Bicol Region a run for their pastilles de durian and pili nuts, respectively.
Negrenses celebrate in style. Negros cuisine developed from this eagerness for festivity, though much of
this remarkable cuisine is guarded jealously in family kitchens. Aside from dishes cooked with Spanish
influences, probably the most famous dish Negros Occidental is remembered for is Inasal (barbecued
Arts and Sports
Negrenses are noted for their artistic abilities as well as for their love for sports. Many Negrense artists-
designers/architects, cartoonists/visual artists have gained national and international distinction in their
fields. The province is also noted for its world-class athletes in track and field, swimming, football,
softball, golf and boxing among others. Even in the field of cock-fighting, it is known as the home of the
best handlers and gamefowl breeders.
The Negrenses’ joie de vivre is manifested in the various festivals all over the province, foremost among
which are famous MassKara Festival of Bacolod, Pasalamat Festival of La Carlota, Bailes de Luces of La
Castellana and Pintaflores Festival of San Carlos. These and other interesting local festivals are featured
during the Pana-ad sa Negros Festival staged every April at the 25-hectare tree-lined Pana-ad Stadium in
Bacolod City. Dubbed as the “Festival of Festivals”, Pana-ad brings together the 13 cities and 19 towns
in a showcase of history, arts and culture, tourism, trade, commerce and industry, beauty and talent as
well as games and sports.
“Man and Beast” Sculpture at the Capitol Lagoon
Negros Occidental is rich in structures and buildings that are remnants of a once affluent lifestyle. The
Palacio Episcopal (1930), San Sebastian Cathedral (1876) and the Capitol Building (1931), are popular
landmarks. Silay City has fine examples of sugar barons’ palatial homes. In other towns, steam
locomotives that used to cart sugarcane from the fields to refineries attract steam-engine enthusiasts from
all over the world. There are also impressive churches all over the province, both built recently and during
the Spanish era.
HISTORY OF BACOLOD CITY
Bacolod City, situated on the northwestern part of the
island of Negros, is bounded by the Guimaras Strait on
the west, the municipality of Talisay on the north, the
municipality of Murcia on the east, and Bago City on the
The City has land area of 156.1 kilometers. In 1970, it had
a population of 187,300. It has a cool invigorating climate
with abundant rainfall. The majority of the people speak
Ilonggo and the rest speak Cebuano.
Bacolod, the "Sugar City in the Philippines," is one of the
most progressive and elite cities in the country. Along its
highway, sugarcane plantation is a typical scene; coconut
and rice are also grown. The people are engaged in
livestock, fishing and pottery.
Bacolod was derived from the Ilonggo word "bakolod"
meaning "stonehill" since the settlement was founded in
1770 on a stonehill area, now the district of Granada and the
former site of the Bacolod Murcia Milling Company.
Due to the Muslin raids in 1787, Bacolod was transferred
towards the shorline. The old site was called "Da-an Banwa,"
meaning old town.
In 1894, by order of Governor General Claveria, through
Negros Island Governor Manuel Valdeviseo Morquecho,
Bacolod was made the capital of the Province of Negros.
Bernardino de los Santos became the first gobernadorcillo
and Fray Julian Gonzaga the first parish priest.
The succes of the revolution in Bacolod was attributed to
the low morale of the local Spanish detahcment-due to its
defeat in Panay and Luzon and to the psychological warfare
of Generals Aniceto Lacson and Juan Araneta. In 1897, a
battle in Bacolod was fought in Matab-ang River. A year
later, on November 5, 1898, the Negrense "Revolucionarios,"
armed with knives, bolos, spears, and rifle-like "nipa" stems,
and pieces of "sawali" mounted in carts, captured the
convento where Coronel de Castro y Cisneros, well-armed
"casadores" and platoons of civil guards, surrendered. Two
days later, on the 17th, most of the revolutionary army
gathered together to establish a Provisional Junta and to
confirm the elections of Aniceto Lacson as president, Juan
Araneta as war-delegate, as well as the other officials.
On March 1899, the American forces led by Colonel
James G. Smith occupied Bacolod, the revolutionary capital
of the Provisional Republic of Negros.
Bacolod City was occupied by the Japanese forces on
May 21, 1942. Three years after, it was liberated by the
American forces on May 29, 1945.
CAPITAL: Bacolod City
LAND AREA: 7926.1 sqm km
TEL. AREA CODE: 34
NO. OF TOWNS: 31
ZIP CODE: 6100
Originally known as "Buglas" by its natives. This fourth largest island in the Philippine archipelago was given the name
"Negros" by the Spanish navigators when Esteban de Rodriguez discovered the island in April, 1565 and found its earliest
occupants to be dark-skinned natives belonging to the Negrito ethnic group. The natives then, occupied initially most of the
southern portion of the province, being Binalbagan and Ilog. Two of the earliest native settlements which officially became
towns in 1572 and 1584, respectively. Other settlements were Hinigaran, Bago, Marayo (now Pontevedra), Mamalan (now
HImamaylan) and Candaguit.
In 1734, the island became a military district and Ilog became its first capital. Bacolod was made provincial capital in 1849.
Then in 1856, Negros Occidental was raised to the category of a politico-military province. During this time, several more
towns were established like San Carlos and Calatrava. Other towns were created, particularly Saravia, Escalante and
Valladolid (1860) as a result of the growth of Population and the influx of immigrants coming from neighboring provinces
such as Iloilo, Antique, Capiz, and Cebu. These growth in population and immigrants brought to the province in turn rapid
material growth and development during the later part of the 18th century.
The major boon to the province at this time were two: the cultivation of sugar which brought economic boost as it later led
Negros to pioneer other provinces in sugar production with its initial of 4,000 piculs of sugar in 1856 increasing to 2,000,000
piculs in 1897. With this, new machineries such as those operated by steam were used in the towns of Bacolod, Minuluan
and Bago. Another boon was the opening of the ports like Iloilo and Cebu to foreign commerce.
During the last decade of the 19th century, several important events may be summarized: one, the making of Negros
Occidental as a separate province in 1890.Two, the joining of the Negrense revolutionary leaders in the nationwide
Katipunan Movement which overcame the Spanish garrison in the province on November 6, 1898 during one of the
Filipinos´revolt against the Spanish rule. Three, the arrival of the Americans in the province in May, 1899 leading to the
establishment of a Civil Government in Negros Occidental on April 20, 1901. Fouth, the ousting and surrender of the
Japanese Forces in Negros (1945) after both civilian and military leaders in Negros Occidental pursued and organized a free
government in the province.
After the upheaval and destruction brought by the first and second world wars, the next years following it, were dedicated to
the rehabilitation and reconstructions of various sectors as Industry and Commerce, principally the sugar industry. Following
this recuperation period, socio-economic growth in the province ensued.
Go to Top
Negrenses, as practically all Filipinos, are poly-lingual. Of the 87 dialects in the country, two Visayan dialects are
predominantly used in the province: Ilonggo, which is spoken by 80% to 90% of the populace, and Cebuano which is used
by the rest. English, however, is widely spoken; thus the English-speaking visitor will have little or no communication
problem at all.
Negros Occidental is primarily an agricultural province. Of the total land area of 792,607 hectares, 588,145 hectares are
arable land of which appoximately 419,305.084 hectares or 53% are devoted to agriculture.
With diversification as a major provincial development program, new land uses such as more inland fishing, livestock &
poultry, grains and new crops like coffee, cacao, black pepper, orchards, ramie and others are increasing.
The province of Negros Occidental is reported by the Bureau of Mines to be rich in both metallic and non-metallic mineral
resources, notably copper, gold, silver and molybdenum. Among the non-metallic minerals are stones, gravel, and sand and
other construction materials, also salt and guano.
The socio-economic life of Negros Occidental from the 1950´s up to the 1980´s depended mainly on sugar, producing
annually about 60% of the country´s sugar output. The four corners of the archipelago have focused their wide open eyes
and melting mouth to the glory of the Negrenses. Negros is where high living and high eyebrows were.
Go to Top
HISTORICAL AND CULTURAL ATTRACTIONS
Revolutionary Markers in Bago and Silay Cities and E. B. Magalona; 22 kms. and 15 kms. from Bacolod City, respectively;
commemorate the spots where local revolutionaries fought against Spanish authorities during the Negros revolution of 1898
and the American forces later.
Araneta and Lacson Monuments, Bago City and Talisay
22 kms. and 6 kms. from Bacolod City, respectively; in memory of two great leaders of the Negros revolution.
Fountain Of Justice, Bacolod City
Where the Capitulation of Bacolod was signed between the Spanish authorities and revolutionary forces.
Instituto Rizal, Bacolod City
First public school established in Bacolod in 1902.
Church Of Talisay, Talisay
7 kms. from Bacolod City constructed in the early part of 1900's where the remains of Fr. Fernando Cuenca and Gen
Aniceto Lacson are being kept.
Ancestral House Of Dr. Soriono, Bacolod City
Constructed in 1901, the house was made of hardwood with fine carvings; served as a hospital during the Japanese
Hofileña Ancestral House, Silay City
15 kms. from Bacolod City; home to a collection of rare art pieces, antiques and paintings done by Luna, Rizal and Hidalgo;
venue of the first wood printing in Negros.
Hacieda Fe. - Ancestral House Of Don Eusebio Uriarte Y Hermanos, La Carlota City; 42 kms. from Bacolod City where the
Circulo de Agriculture, a planters organization formed to undertake an anti-locust campaign
The House Of Don Mariano Ramos, Bacolod City
Ancestral home of the late Don Mariano Ramos, first appointed Presidente Municipal of Bacolod.
Capitol Building, Bacolod City
Imposing structure of Romanesque neo-classical architectural design, official seat of government of the Province of Negros
Occidental; served as headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II.
Gaston Farm House, Silay City
15 kms. from Bacolod City; typical example of a "sugar baron's mansion"; converted into a museum and known today as the
Old Fort At Himamaylan , Himamaylan
83 kms. from Bacolod City; served as a garrison when the town became the capital of Negros in 1795.
Yulo Acestral House, Bacolod City
By the sea; built in the early part of 1900's; residence of Don Alfredo Yulo, mayor of Bacolod at the coming of the World War
The Church Of San Diego, Silay City
15 kms. from Bacolod City; Basilica type of architectural work constructed in the 1920's.
Mural Of Birhen Sang Barangay, Bacolod City
Large mural mosaic of 95,000 pieces of shells of various species in their natural colors. A unique work of art found at the
Chapel of Sta. Clara.
Chinese Temple, Bacolod City
Symbol of Chinese influence in the culture of the province.
Go to Top
SPECIAL INTEREST TOURS
Known among locomotive enthusiasts as the "Steam Paradise of the Philippines". Seven of the fifteen sugar centrals in the
province maintain these machines in good working condition. Each milling season, one may occasionally encounter one of
these "dragons" creeping along the cane fields like a mechanical caterpillar dragging along a host of cane field cars.
War Memorial Tours
Visit memorial shrines, places of significant events, and other war related activities commemorating World War II.
Go to Top
NATURE ADVENTURE AND ECOTOURISM
One of the mountains found in the north-central portion of the island of Negros. It is the highest peak in Central Philippines,
the most dominant and attractive feature of which is the active summit crater of a volcano.
Mambucal Mountain Resort, Murcia
30 kms. from Bacolod City ; gateway to the Mt. Kanlaon National Park; built as a spa in 1927; situated at an altitude of
roughly 2,000 ft. above sea level on the north-western foot of Mt. Kanlaon.
Sitio Guintubdan Nature Camp, La Carlota City
36 kms. from Bacolod City; a destination for nature enthusiasts; at the western foot of Mt. Kanlaon at an elevation of 700
meters above the plains of the sugarland.
Patag Valley Trekking, Silay City
45 kms. from Bacolod City; located 400meters above sea level between the highlands of Mt. Silay and Mt. Marapara; home
of the Philippines spotted deer; highlight of the visit is a skyline ride.
Isla Puti, Escalante
101 kms. from Bacolod City; immense sand bar islet jutting out of the sea and measuring about 2 hectares in area
Danjugan Island, Cauayan
177.5 kms. from Bacolod City; 3 hectare reserve marine sanctuary, a virtual marine paradise to lovers of the underwater
Sagay Marine Sanctuary, Sagay
86 kms. from Bacolod City; established in1978; an aggregate area of 200 hectares covering the so called carbin reef, maca
reef, maca shoal and panal reef.
Ubong Cave, Hinobaan
202 kms. from Bacolod City; system of cave passages situated at the coastline of Sitio Ubong. Ideal for "spelunker-to-be"
Pating Cave, Kabankalan
Highest cave found in the eastern part of Bgy. Magballo.
Hagdanan Cave, Kabankalan
Named so because of the natural formation of stairs made of stone inside the cave leading to the water under it.
Go to Top
Masskara festival, Bacolod City; every October; a masquerade ball and beaming images of smiling masks street dancing
and stomping to the frenzied beat of Latin sambas; depicts the Negrenses happy disposition despite adversities in life.
Pasalamant Festival, La Carlota City; every May; based on the tradition of giving thanks to the Gods of the elements after a
bountiful harvest by the ancients in "Buglas".
Kali-Kalihan Festival, Don Salvador Benedicto; every November; celebration of age-old practice showcasing ancient skills in
martial arts and beliefs in the forces of nature; walking on live charcoal is one of the highlights.
Pinta Flores Festival, San Carlos City; every November; coined from the words "pinta" and "flores", depicts the tradition of
welcoming visitors through dancing as in the "pintados" during the coming of the Spaniards in the Visayas. Flowers instead
of tattoos are painted on the bodies and costumes of the dancers.
Cadiz Ati-Atihan, Cadiz City; every January; festival in honor of the Sto. Nino, patron of Cadiz City believed to have created
miracles protecting the city from the invading pirates long time ago.
Sinulod, Ilog and Kabankalan; every January; reenactment of the battle between the Christian forces and the invading Moro
pirates in the Ilog river; commemorates the defiance of Datu Manyabog against the conquering forces of Gov. Emilio
Go to Top
TOPOGRAPHY, SOIL AND CLIMATE
The City is ideally located on a level area, slightly sloping as it extends toward the sea with an average slopes of 0.9 percent
for the City Proper and between 3 to 5 percent for the suburbs. The altitude is 32.8 feet or 10.0 meters above sea level. The
benchmark is the Bacolod Public Plaza.By soil type, the different varieties of soil covering the entire area fall into several
broad types and qualities like Bago Fine Sandy Loam, Bago Sandy Clay Loam, Guimbala-on Fine Sandy Loam, Guimbala-
on Loam, Hydrosol, Rough Mountainous Land, Silay Loam, Silay Sandy Loam and Tupi Fine Sandy Loam.Bacolod has two
(2) pronounced seasons, wet and dry. The rainy season starts from May to January of the following year with heavy rains
occur during the months of August and September. Dry season starts from the month of February up to the last week of