Citizens & their city…..
An encounter between digital
pioneers and an overcautious
Open Innovation Experimentations
How to tackle some of the urban challenges
and speed up innovation incubation cycle?
With Open DATA
With Urban Challenges
With Social Innovation
Open Data & Strong External Push
Strong SME, hackers’, coders demand
Innovation Agency >>
• (Open Data was not a shortlisted urgent issue in local
Open Data Evolution in Amsterdam
• In 2010 hackers, innovation labs and SME’s, web
entrepreneurs requested the first datasets
• 28 datasets open in 2011
• 300 datasets open in 2013
• 2010 – 0 euro budget
• 2013 – 1,5 M euro budget
• In 2013 Open Data Program – by Amsterdam Economic Board
• 3 EU projects that promote the value of Open Data
Best Practice Open Data
• 30 apps have been launched
(face recognition by portrays)
• High educational impact
• Positive PR for the museum
• Reach of new younger
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/api -110.000 high resolution
photo’s of the collection
2013 – Less apps more business incubation
3 start ups coaching
Participation in Apps4EU
+50 civic apps
The Future -Beyond open data
Linked data & API , commitment from city halls
User feed-back on Open Data.
City Challenges with Open Calls, awards.
Reused codes between cities for better civic apps.
Pan EU market for Civic Apps