This is the story how we saw chatbots
evolve during the last year
We started of with a simple chatbot for BD-Myshopi
Learning by doing: Challenge accepted!
• Customer problem: Find the right
Valentine gift for my (girl)friend
• Solution: A bot that helps to find the
right Valentine gift based on rules.
• Extra: We made a link with their folder
inventory so people can ask for the
latest promo folder from any store.
• Result: 3000 users and counting
We even created our own platform
- Conversation flows management
- Data storage
- Account management
- Version creation (for A/B testing)
- API control managment
Remember this hype cycle?
This is how customer service
chatbots are sold
- Different NLP engines
- NLU technology
- Hand-over rules
This is the result
While falling down the slope of disillusionment we thought
about the core of being a marketer.
Providing a great customer experience
throughout the customer journey
And this changed our game plan of chatbots completely
How we helped Ontex to improve brand consideration via a better conversational experience
• Customer problem: Patients have trouble finding the right product,
but they don’t want to talk about it.
• Solution: Conversational interface to help patients finding the right
products. Available in multiple languages.
• Next step: Launch in Germany!
• Customer problem: They often don’t know what job would suit them.
• Solution: Working with a machine learning algorithm we are able to
find relevant jobs based on your profile (cv or natural language input)
• Technical solution: Linking different technologies and platforms
Conversational commerce works in many different sectors
Vacature.com chatbot – find a job based on your profile
And the results became more & more promising
• The chatbot became a top converting channel compared with other
• Not yet perfect but based on the data we know how to optimize the
Mobile experiences are misunderstood
What we think a mobile experience should look like What mobile users are actually doing
This misunderstanding is heavily reflected in the commercial results
Below a typical analytics report comparing desktop with mobile conversion rates
• Mobile conversion rates on websites are around half of desktop
• This combined with high cpc’s for desktop visitors compared with
mobile visitors leaves open a large opportunity.
How to optimize mobile conversion rates for leads & sales?
Challenge accepted! Target: Facebook ads
Original: From Facebook to a mobile
optimized landing page
Test: From Facebook to a Facebook
• Improve experience by offering a conversational experience
• Reduce bounce-rate by staying on the facebook platform
We went even one step further!
The payment should happen on the platform
To reduce friction we wanted the
payment to happen directly in
• General conversion rate x3 (300% increase!) for the first test
• We also created a web chatbot, no significant improvement in the
• Lots of possibilities to optimize. (fe. Birth date issue)
The result is great!
And the official case for conversational commerce is born
The next step?
need to have a
website to do
The future is omni-channel with lots of new channels arriving
conversational interfaces will become an important part of the interaction method and most of them won’t need a website.
The most important lesson we learned: As long as we focus on the customer
experience, the customer will reward us.
A good place to start is by filling in the BotCanvas
Get it here: http://www.thehouseofmarketing.eu/botcanvas
Dennis De Cat