The Jigoku zoshi “Hell Scrolls”, late 12th c. color on paper – multiple scrolls.
Click here for a link to the on-line interactive scroll found within the Nara Museum
Click here for a link to the on-line interactive scroll found in the Tokyo National Museum.
Hell on earth, late Heian era, Japan
Consider the following while viewing images
from these scrolls:
• What is the overall environment of hell?
• How are the people in hell depicted?
– How does this relate to the way people are
depicted in other scrolls we have seen?
• Who are the keepers of hell?
– Where do you think these images come from?
• Do you think depictions of hell are
standardized? Why or why not?
“The 6 Paths”
- 6 types of rebirth
1. Deva [heavenly being]
2. Asura [titan]
5. Gaki [hungry ghost]
6. Hell dweller
*if you can break free of
this cycle, you can reach