Some of the common mistakes people make when looking at performance metrics and the resulting problems
Simple, but statistically valid and effective methods for creating, maintaining, and reviewing charts over time
When to react and ask “what happened?” when reviewing new data points metrics... and when to stop overreacting to each data point
How to integrate this into your use of KaiNexus or for charts you create in Excel
How to Manage Your Improvement Metrics More Efficiently and Effectively
How to Manage Your Improvement
Metrics More Efficiently and
VP of Improvement & Innovation Services
VP of Sales
Agenda & Logistics
• Presentation (45 minutes)
• Q&A (10 minutes)
– Use the GoToWebinar
Meeting Panel to
submit a question at
• Recording link & slides will be sent via email
– Also – see the “Handouts” feature and Chat box
About Mark Graban
• 20+ years practicing Lean
– 10 years in manufacturing
– 11+ years in healthcare
– Lean Hospitals
– Healthcare Kaizen
(co-author Joe Swartz)
New 3rd Edition!
Responding to Daily Changes
Daily Production Average
Are we helping? Is this process stable?
Isn’t it always the system?
It’s (almost) always the system.
Signal vs. Noise?
"While every data set contains noise,
some data sets may contain signals.
Therefore, before you can detect a signal
within any given data set,
you must first filter out the noise.
“X” Control Chart
(Chart for Individual Values)
Goal = 25 minutes
Upper Control Limit
Lower Control Limit
“Western Electric” Rules
• Any single point above or below 3-sigma LCL or UCL
• 8 consecutive points on same side of mean
• 6 consecutive points moving same direction
• 14 alternating up/down points in a row
Full rules à http://bit.ly/WErules
NOT Understanding Variation Leads To…
• Pressuring people to get better results
by working harder within the same
• Wasting time looking for explanations
of a perceived trend when nothing has
• Not focusing on systemic improvements
that would shift the mean
Our Next Webinar
"The Intersection of Culture and
Technology: Capturing Improvement
Where it Happens"
– Matthew Cannistraro
– Thursday February 23, 1 PM ET
Ask Us Anything!
• Mark Graban & Dr. Greg Jacobson
• Next Episode Feb 14, 1 pm ET
• Register & submit questions via
• Past episodes available
• Subscribe via:
– Google Play
• Webinars on Demand:
• Social Media:
VP of Services
VP of Sales
BONUS RECORDING WILL BE SENT:
HOW TO CREATE CONTROL CHARTS