8– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
• Can you please explain the difference
between Exempt and Salaried?
• Can a salaried employee’s wages get
deducted for the hours that they did not work?
• Please explain a how to calculate a Flat Rate
• How do I correct state taxes that were not
pulled out of the employee checks for more
than 5 months?
9– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
• How to calculate OT on hourly paid employees
when bonuses are given?
• What is the final ruling on overtime for service
• When are pay increases mandatory? IE Do we
have to increase pay with increased
• Are all employees required to take a lunch break?
What about other breaks in the day?
• If a (salaried) manager works a portion of a day, my
understanding is that he/she can not be docked in pay.
Also if the manager is contacted via phone or e-mail
on a "sick" day and he/she responds, that it constitutes
work performed by the manager and it can not be
considered a day absent from work. Is that correct?
• We don't have sick days as part of our employee
benefits. When a manager calls in sick, I mark it down
as a vacation day. Is that "legal"?
11– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
12– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
• We have six paid holidays, but if one of these
holidays falls on a weekend and the persons
hours are from Monday to Friday, do we still
have to pay for it?
• Our managers work every other Saturday. If a
manager is not scheduled to work on say
Christmas Dec 25 but is not scheduled to
work, then he is not given an alternative day
off because "it is the luck of the draw“.
13– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
• We give 1 week paid vacation for the first year,
but if an employee does not make it to his first
anniversary are we still supposed to prorate
and pay said vacation? Even after only a few
• The record retention requirement for I9 forms?
• Could you please tell me how many personnel files each
employee should have?
• Is it necessary to have I9 info & drug tests results kept
separate from employee file?
• How long should you retain documents?
14– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
Reviews / Disciplinary Action
• Are annual reviews really a good idea or do
they just provide ammunition for the employee
if there is a dispute concerning performance?
• What should be done to employees who
unwittingly share prescription drugs (especially
in the event one person gets really sick)?
• What is considered insubordination?
18– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
20– KPA CONFIDENTIAL –
• Can we terminate without warning the associates first?
• If layoffs are expected, is the dealership required to
give you a reference, or a transfer to another
• Can an employee be terminated for repeated
disruptive, negative behavior that causes surrounding
associates to complain about working with him/her?
• When terminating an employee how long you have to
give them their final check?
• Are there ways of preventing having to pay
unemployment to terminated employees?