Gear Up students recording
“I Passed The Test”
Strategic Planning: A strong foundation for our organization.
Foundation is a Michigan
non-profit that builds local
community, inspiring and
creating relationships by
bringing together diverse
in music & music education.
The strategic planning process was an
inclusive of all members of the Community
Records Foundation (CRF) community,
engaging teachers, clients, residents, and
friends . It was led by the Strategic Planning
Committee. We defined the CRF community
as anyone who was in regular contact with
the organization. The process included the
1. One-on-one interviews of all interested
members of the CRF community.
2. Mission statement development with the
3. Interviews with the Board committees and
review of existing organizational documents.
4. SWOT analysis, evaluation of mission
execution, and identification of assets,
changes, and dreams was completed. This
process was open to all in the CRF community.
5. Community Orientation to educate and
create action steps as a community.
Since CRF is young and small, the focus
was on strategic direction not tactical steps.
We at CRF recognize the quickly changing
pace of the action that is required to execute
the plan. The Board and the Executive
Director are constantly reviewing these items.
Evaluation and Execution
Community Records Foundation serves Ypsilanti, Michigan and its surrounding
communities through a reciprocal partnership with local organizations and citizens. We
are a broad-based, local arts organization that offers classes, group activities, record production,
education and presentation opportunities for children, teens, adults and seniors.
• All of our programs empower participants to connect with their own inner-voice and to establish
important and lasting connections to others in the community.
• All of our programs enable participants to benefit, learn about, and engage with local charities
and nonprofit organizations.
EDUCATION BUILD COMMUNITY
SWOT Analysis - As identified by CRF community
CRF’s greatest strengths are
the core competencies upon
which it should build its
1. Strategic planning process
2. Relationships with clients, customers,
volunteers, staff, teachers and community
3. Organizational culture and values
4. Commitment to individuals as artists and to
5. Community research and understanding
6. Utilizing the community
7. Access to quality people
8. Wealth of diverse ideas
...while addressing its
1. Access to equipment and other capital
2. No dedicated location
3. Currently operating at capacity
4. Money and asset management
5. Variety of services and programming
6. Number of staff and volunteers
7. Limited funding and financial capital
8. Communication of goals and objectives to
the entire CRF community
9. Lack of brand and name recognition
CRF’s strategy will be to
pursue its best
1. Unique products and services
2. Access to new venues, locations, and
markets for our products and services
3. Local music scene
4. Diversity of local community
5. Local music gatherings and events
6. Dwindling afterschool experiences
7. Local youth
8. Ability to expand
9. Connections with local community assets
10. Collaboration with other nonprofits
...while minimizing its
1. Changes in economic conditions
2. Similar services in the community
3. Community not knowing who we are or
what we do
4. Organization is in need of more people
and for them to be representative of the
5. Spreading too thin, too quickly
Evaluation and Execution
A high-level evaluation is being completed on every action item in the strategic plan on their
ability to reach our strategic goals at both the beginning, end, and cyclicly within projects.
Evaluation specific to each action item will also be created to inform both internal and external
audiences about individual activities. Each of these will result in meeting or dialogue to best
determine how to prove and improve our programs against our evolving strategic objectives.
Is a leader in developing
and building the Ypsilanti
community in a way that
is inclusive and reflects its
Is actively engaging in
fundraising activities and
planning that supports
this strategic plan.
Is a local specialist in
opportunities for selfexpression,
activities, and music
Develops internal controls
strategies that promote
transparency of the
Has an established
location that allows for
recording and group
Is recognized for its
innovative art and music
curricula and values
which position it as a
asset to the community.