INPUT AND OUTPUT
Roll No. 27
WHAT IS AN INPUT DEVICE?
Any machine that feeds data into a computer is called an Input Device.
Any device that interacts to any system and allows you to enter the
information on the computer.
An input device is a hardware or peripheral device used to send data to
An input device allows users to communicate and feed instructions and
data to computers for processing, display, storage and/or transmission.
• A Mouse is a hand controlled pointing device which moves a pointer on
• A Mouse consists of an object held in one's
hand, with one or more buttons.
• A Mouse often also features other elements,
such as touch surfaces and wheels.
• The Mouse turns movements of the hand
backward and forward, left and right into
equivalent electronic signals that in turn are used
to move the pointer.
• A keyboard is
device which uses
buttons or keys to
a mechanical lever or electronic switch.
• A keyboard typically has characters engraved or printed on the keys and each
press of a key typically corresponds to a single written symbol.
• A keyboard is a panel of keys that operate a computer or typewriter.
• A Joystick is an input device consisting of
a stick that pivots on a base and reports
its angle or direction to the device it is
• The electrical two-axis joystick was
invented by C. B. Mirick.
• The name "joystick" is believed to have
been coined by a French pilot Robert
WHAT IS AN OUTPUT DEVICE?
An output device is any piece of computer hardware equipment used to
communicate the results of data processing carried out by an
information processing system (such as a computer) which converts the
electronically generated information into human-readable form.
An output device is any peripheral that receives data from a computer
usually for display or projection.
An output device is a piece of hardware that is used to output data that
has been previously entered into a computer or similar processing
• A Monitor is the piece of computer
hardware that displays the video and
graphics information generated by the
• A monitor usually comprises the display
device, circuitry, casing, and power
• The display device in modern monitors is
typically TFT-LCD or LED display, while
older monitors used a CRT display.
• A Printer is a peripheral which prints a
human readable representation of
graphics or text on a paper.
• The world's first computer printer was
invented by Charles Babbage.
• The two most common printer
mechanisms are black and white laser
printers and color inkjet printers.
• A Speaker is a device which converts
an electrical audio signal into a
• Speakers are typically housed in an
enclosure which plays an important role
in the quality of the sound.
• The most widely used type of speaker
today was invented in 1925 by Edward
W. Kellogg and Chester W. Rice.