they can be surprisingly responsive when you get into a one to one with them – they can only act on the information they are given! – e.g. where is spending on children’s services going, how can you help influence that with evidence? e.g. GPs, Paediatricians, articulate the risks – apply the Principles of Health Visiting!!! – share good news stories in the press. You must be able to articulate that and do so. , let them know about risks to services, they pay their taxes and have a right to know
161207 Leadership conference - Cheryll Adams
Making an impact
Dr Cheryll Adams, CBE
Executive Director, iHV
Today - challenges but also opportunities
Very difficult times:
•Health visiting being integrated into LA children’s
•Cuts to PH budgets reduced HV resource
•NHS apparently in turmoil with increased pressure on
How will you respond?
1. Batten down the hatches and hope that it will all
turn out better than you think it will?
2. Step forward to help make the future one that you
want to see?
So what next?
Today we have given you:
• New ideas
• New toolkit
• New enthusiasm
• New confidence? Hopefully!
How should you act?
• What is most essential is don’t delay!
• Make a plan and start to implement it.
• We hope you will be change leaders whether for small or
‘A leader is one who knows
the way, goes the way, and
shows the way.’
(John C. Maxwell)
•Clarity of purpose - what is the problem
– what needs to be achieved? May be a
•Find and provide the evidence/make the
•Build support – don’t go alone, rarely
•Be brave and be persistent
•Be creative – think out of the box
Act locally, change locally
What needs to be influenced? How can you influence?
E.g. Some thoughts re HV cuts being made:
• Build relationships with local commissioners/senior management
• Think about what would influence/drive change
• Build capital and make a plan – build relationships, broker deals,
• Market your services and all they can achieve for the
• Why invest in an advanced specialist doubly registered
• Use the iHV Economic Briefing for evidence, also the ‘State of HV’
• Empower the population to support you
TOGETHER WE CAN DELIVER THE CHANGE WE WANT TO SEE!
Act locally - Influence nationally
•Use social media to get your messages out about
your great service and any risks to it
•Use the press and spoken media to promote
innovative practice – it makes it harder to cut it!
• E.g. A day in the life of a health visitor is powerful reading
for other people – one HV got their story into the Guardian
•Other opportunities to influence – MPs, letters to PM
•Complete our surveys so others can act on your
•Share evidence with influencers
How is the iHV responding to the HV cuts?
• State of Health Visiting and other surveys – we needed the
• Gaining support - informing those who need to know – PHE,
MPs, Members of the House of Lords, Local Government
Association, Royal Colleges e.g. GPs, Paediatricians,
Psychiatrists, voluntary sector – all can help us, all believe in
what we do.
• Building allies – encouraging others to act on our behalf or
• Letters to the Prime Minister
• Publishing the evidence and briefings for local use,
promoting via social media
• Letters in the press
• Working with film companies – series on health visiting
If you believe in something,
make it happen
- starting today!