This presentation for a biology laboratory component tested the effects of quantum dots (which I synthesized while researching in the American University Department of Chemistry) on developing zebrafish.
The Effects of
Monica Lovell and Julia MacDougall
• This experiment set out to determine how Zinc
and Manganese-Doped Quantum Dots affected
the embryogenesis of zebrafish.
Hypothesis and Prediction
• Hypothesis: Because quantum dots are designed
to be used in live animals, it should be safe for
zebrafish to grow and develop in water containing
• Prediction: If zebrafish are grown in three
different concentrations of quantum, all three
samples should develop normally in the same
• Prepare three solutions of quantum dots: one
control solution of just water, one of the low (0.05
mg/mL) concentration, and one of the high (0.5
• Track how zebrafish develop, focusing on
morphology, size, and mortality.
• Preserve two/three fish on day 14 in order to
further examine develpment.
Use of Quantum Dots
• Quantum dots are used to track and image
changes in development, so they should not be
toxic (Rieger, Kulkarni, Darcy, Fraser, Koster,
Quantum Dot Concentration Number Dead, Number Alive
Control 0 Dead, 20 Alive
Low 0 Dead, 20 Alive
High 0 Dead, 20 Alive