Inspiration - front cover My inspiration for my magazine cover have come from two existing college/university magazines that I have previously analysed.
I chose this magazine cover because :- I like how this main picture is a action shot and this has given me an idea for what I want my picture to be like on my own magazine. I also like the plain background with scribbles as it makes the main image stand out. The mast head is big and clear so that the audience knows what it is called, also the slogo under it gives you more information about what the magazine is all about. This magazine targets it’s audience to a young generation as its loud and informal. Which is what my magazine needs to represent. Like this magazines cover line, mine needs to be big and bold so that my target audience knows what the main story is in my magazine
I also chose this magazine cover because :- I like how the main image is layered on top of the mast head, this is something I could interpret into my own design. The mast head also takes up the whole of the top of the page so its clear to know what the name is so it stands out from the rest of the text on the page, I could also interpret this into my own. Also I like how the main image is centred in the middle of the page, as it stands out more. There is no main pull quote on this cover, but I like how the cover lines are around the image and slightly over lay on the image. There is also a barcode to show that you have to pay for it. Which makes it more of a magazine but is not that important to the design of it. The different colours for the I like, because they make it more bold and point out what's’ more important and catch the target audience eye first
2 nd cover design <ul><li>I have chosen this design as my cover because it includes all the features of a college magazine needs. I have included : - </li></ul><ul><li>- A flag line : which lets the reader now what else is in the magazine. </li></ul><ul><li>The mast head : which is a must as it is the title of the magazine. </li></ul><ul><li>A slogo : which is short sentence which says what the magazine is about. </li></ul><ul><li>Date line </li></ul><ul><li>Main image : this will be centred. The modal will look stressed to go the main pull line which is ‘’I'm too stressed with exams’’ . </li></ul><ul><li>Pull quotes : These will be around the image but over lay on it. </li></ul><ul><li>Also another main feature of something being free as this will grab the audiences attention. </li></ul>The things that are most important are on the left hand side of the page because these will be the fist things that the reader will see on the shelf. Also the image has got to stand out so it’ll capture the target audience attention. My target audience is students so ii have made it informal by slanting text and will add lots of colour to make it busy and stand out.
Inspiration – Contents page For my contents I have picked these two existing college/university content pages, which I also previously analysed.
I chose this contents page because :- I like how there are pictures, that represent stories that are inside the magazine, as it gives it a more visual context as well as just writing on the page. Also I like how there is a small detailed description for each page, on what you’ll find on that page. Also a header for each subject which is a good idea, although this is a bit over board for a college magazine, but makes it detailed. The text is in black and blue which stands out because these are noticeable colours that are easy to read against the back ground colour. There's a photo linking to the photo on the front, which also continuous the house style of the magazine.
Also I picked out this magazine because :- There’s a big header indicating it’s the contents, which is visible, black and red. Red is an alarming colour so it attracts the target reader eye. Again I like the idea of photos from pages indicating there subject matter. Page headings and descriptions again used in this magazine. Good idea to add other important details on the contents, as this is were would refer to the most. The text is highlighted in pastel colour boxes. This makes the text separate from the background so it’s easy to see. All the text is written in black as it is a formal and readable colour, use of different colours would make it hard to read.
1 st Contents Design <ul><li>I’ve chosen to use this contents idea because it includes the main features that the contents need, this includes: </li></ul><ul><li>Use of pictures, representing there designated pages. </li></ul><ul><li>Descriptions of a few pages, but not too many because, this would be too much text </li></ul><ul><li>Extra information </li></ul><ul><li>Large header </li></ul><ul><li>A picture linking to the front cover. </li></ul><ul><li>There are headers above each section as this gives the magazine a main subject then leading off to similar subject to that header. </li></ul>The pictures will have numbers in the corner to indicate what page they link to. Also I’ve put description of some of the pages but not under the page header, but with the picture to make it more interesting. I also want a consist ant house style to my magazine, so to incorporate this style the header will be the same typeface as the masthead and the same style. Also the outer glow on the pull quotes will be used on the headers for the subject pages etc.
<ul><li>I first opened a new blank canvas and my main photo that I took, for the front of my magazine. </li></ul>
2. I then took the magic lasso tool and cut just the body from the background, and pasted into my blank canvas, which is my front cover of my college magazine. 3. Then took the free transform tool, and resized the image and moved it into the position.
4. I then went to dafont.com, and got the typeface for my header, that I created.
5. After that I pasted it into my front cover and placed it behind my main image, as my main image is what I want the reader to see first, because of it’s visual attraction. 6. Then added a black background. 7. And added my main pull quote to go with my main image.
8. Added the outer glow to stand out, in red and white. And layered over the image so it doesn’t look too formal and slightly on the wonk.
9. After finished that I added in my slogo line a flag head.
11. I then started to add in my other pull quotes to the cover and my ‘FREE’ caption. Layering on top of the main image so they are clear to read.
12.More pull quotes and a barcode, to make it more realistic.
13.I then added colour to the pull quotes and highlighted the important words to grasp the reader attention. And behind the mast head I added a red gradient to make it more interesting and to stand out. My Finished Cover
<ul><li>Like wise with my cover, I created another blank canvas this time for my contents. </li></ul><ul><li>I got the image I wanted use (again my own photo), and cut out and pasted into my blank canvas, which I added a black background, to continue the consistency of the house style. </li></ul><ul><li>The free transformed and place were I wanted it to be, referring back to my original flat plan. </li></ul>
4. I then decided to add a white box behind my image so it would stand out from the dark background. 5. After I went to dafont.com and chose the same typeface as my mast head to create my header for the contents.
6. After making the header, I decided to scrap the white box idea and add the red gradient like the front cover, and added a description to the picture, leading back to my main image on my front cover. Again more development on the consistent house style. 7. I then started to add the pages and pictures.
8. My contents then started to take more shape, referring again to my flat plans. The images placed in the right position and more text added.
9. More text added and additional information. The page numbers and descriptions.
10. Finally, played about with the positioning of everything. My Finished Contents Page