About Rei Kawakubo
• Born in 11 october 1942 in Tokyo,
• She went to Keio University, Tokyo.
She studied fine arts and literature.
• No training in fashion.
• Bob hair cut and black cloth is her
trademark and identity.
• She is a rebel with a cause.
• Comme Des Garcons is her label.
Work of Rei Kawakubo
• Started working in a textile company.
• In 1967, she worked as a freelance stylist.
• In 1969, she started her own label, Comme
• In 1975, the first boutique in Tokyo was
• In 1981, she presented her collection for the
first time in Paris.
• Her designs were not well accepted and came to be
known as “Hiroshima Chic”.
• In 2004, she opened a store in London which also
included garments from other designers.
• In 2008, she collaborated with H&M, designing men’s
and woman’s clothes along with a unisex perfume
which sold out within hours.
• She also collaborated with Louis Vuitton to celebrate
it’s 30 years in Japan.
• The company’s website has no online sales but very
• In 2011, she launched t-shirts collaborating with Matt
Groening. the project was with “The Simpsons” creator.
• In 2014, she collaborated with Pharrel Williams and launched
the unisex perfume called “girl”.
Identity Of Rei Kawakubo
Her brand is known by a an iconic cute heart which was
founded in 2002 with the help of graphic artist, Filip
Sample Work of Rei kawakubo
Rei kawakubo completely believes that fashion is not an art.
But we can sure notice arts in her work, such as: