Creating Your Personal Brand
By: Joel Katz
Sales Engineering Manager
LinkedIn is an invaluable resource for
reaching B2B buyers.
You can use it to prom ote yourself as a
thought leader, stay top of m ind w ith
your custom ers, and gain valuable
inform ation on prospects.
84 Million Users in USA (259 Million Worldwide)
184 Million Unique Visits to Linked In Monthly
40% of Linked In Users Check Everyday
38% of Linked In Visits Are Via Mobil Device
Average Time Users Spend on Linked In 17
3 Million Business Pages & 1.2 Mil. Featured
Products and Services.
2.1 Million Groups on Linked In
Average Number of Groups Members Join 7
Most Used or Over Used Adjectives: Responsible,
* Stats According to Digital Marketing Rambling
78% of those w ho use social m edia in
sales outperform those w ho don’t.
— The Impact of Social Media on Sales Quota and
Corporate Revenue, A Sales Guy Consulting
“A brand is the sum of all feelings, thoughts and recognitions – positive
and negative – that people in the target audience
associate with a company a product or service.”
- Steve McNamara, AdCracker.Com
“A brand for a company is like a reputation for a person.
You earn reputation by trying to do hard things well.”
More solid brands mean strong identities both for the products
and for the people using them.
“We choose one over the other on the basis of
our ‘perception’ of its reputation”
Develop A Personal Brand for Yourself
WHAT do I DO?
WHO do I do it FOR?
HOW am I UNIQUE?
(WHERE do I do it?)
= YOU: The Brand
For Most of Us Linked In is our Online Brand
(Remember the four components of branding)
• Awareness – Who we are: Name, Title, Photo,
• Trust – Our Credentials, Our Experience
• Reputation – Skills, Achievements,
• Perception – Interests, Personal Details, overall
feeling from profile (Hopefully a Verb)
• YOUR PROSPECTS ARE CHECKING YOUR PROFILE
OUT TRY TO DIFFERENTIATE YOURSELF!!!
Awareness: Good Use Of – Photo, Name, Title, Summary
• Use a professionally done head shot photo if
• Change your default work title, Try To Say:
– What you do
– Who you do it for
• Change Linked In URL to your name.
• Make The Summary Engaging:
Say how you do what you do
Make It measurable if at all possible
Write It from your prospects point of view
Have a call to action if at all possible
Include Samples of your work
Trust and Reputation
• Highlight Work Experience
– Especially if you can show how you helped
prospects achieve measurable results
• Highlight Special Skills
• Ask and Use Recommendations:
– Others vouching for you is great, especially if it is
– Best way to get recommendations is to give them
•Don’t Do This!!!
•Look at the Title!!!
•But Funny though
Let’s explore som e ways to use
LinkedIn for prospecting.
Searches and Advanced Searches
• You can search contacts
• You can search companies (you can follow
them as well)
• You can save searches and it will notify you of
changes in your search profile
• Searches will show you 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level
connections to that person.
• Prospecting Class on BMI Social Warrior Site
• Choose Groups Where Your Contacts Are
– Industry Based
– Education / Charity Based (Alumni Associations, ETC.)
Max Group Membership 50 Different Groups
Ask Questions On Discussion Threads
Start Relevant Discussion Threads
Post Relevant Articles To Group
NOT SALES INFO OR ADVERTISING
Groups Allow You to Send In Mail To Other Group
Members Even if They Are Not Your Contacts
Develop Contact Based Prospecting !!!
• Often Takes Between 10-12 Emails and Phone Calls
Before You Have Relevant Contact With Prospect
• You Are More Likely to Get Sales Call Returned if You
Have Personal Connection
– Check Profile to see if you have people in common
– Check if you have University or Company in Common
– When you reach out to them make sure you mention
commonality. This increases your odds 3x
– When Mutual Connection calls on your behalf for
introduction , this increases your odds 4x
– When you contact direct connection odds increase 12x
• Cultivate contacts similar to your ideal prospect.
– Go Where they are off line and online
– Initiate Conversations
– Keep in touch with them
Keeping In Touch With Prospects
• Become a Content Provider
– Sift through info. to find articles valuable to prospects. (Doing
this Daily or Weekly is best.)
– This elevates your credibility in prospects eyes
– Be Constantly on look out for relevant info.
• Industry News Letters
• Business Press
• Videos and Magazines Prospects likely to read
– Send your Prospects short note with article link attached. Can
send same note to multiple prospects.
• Share Articles online via Linked In, Face book, Twitter.
– Simply click on share icon for relevant service
– Post to your profile, or actually send to your contacts or group.
– If you post to profile, when contacts sign on they will see your
Other Relevant Info.
• Social Warrior Success Stories
• Social Warrior Tutorials
• Don’t Be A Pest: LinkedIn Settings Mistakes
“Do what you want to be famous for
Because you are famous for what you do”
- Kristian Anderson
Sales Engineering Manager