SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, BUILDING & DESIGN
Research Unit for Modern Architecture Studies in Southeast Asia
Foundation of Natural and Build Environment (FNBE)
INTRODUCTION TO THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY [FNBE 0125]
Lecturer : Hasmanira Mokhtar. Normah Sulaiman. Fariz Hilmi
Project 2- Introduction to the Construction Industry: The Building Team
35% marks (20% Group – 15% Individual)
Submission date: 2nd
It is not the beauty of a building you should look at;
It’s the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time.
David Allan Coe
Objectives of Project
1. To enable students to develop an understanding of the building team, its organization, their duties,
responsibilities and the inter-relationship within which they will seek employment, career progression or
2. To develop an awareness of their professional responsibilities and to appreciate their profession in the
Learning Outcomes of this Project
On successful completion of this assignment, students will be able to demonstrate the following:
1. Explain and illustrate structures of organizations and the team involved in the construction industry.
2. Explain the roles and responsibilities of the entities touching briefly the legal and contractual procedures
3. Ability to document their observations and understanding from interview session and research
resources as well as to communicate their findings in a systematic and convincing presentation and
Tasks - Methodology
(Group - 20%).
Part I : In a group of 5 members, your task is to interview the key people in the construction industry. Each
team or unit will randomly receive a type of consultant or a contractor or a developer from the list below.
Students are required to select a firm of the given type of business and research on the firms. Students will
then need to set up an appointment with the company to interview these key people. Students are also
required to plan and think of the questions and structure of the interview. They will also need to decide on
how to produce an interesting documentary movie.
Part II: From the information gathered from the materials, you need to formularize or interpret them to
become a creative visual presentation or any physical performance which recorded as video
presentation. Total length of video presentation shall not exceed eight (8) minutes.
The list are as below :
(Individual - 15%).
Individually, your task is to create an article that would demonstrate your understanding of the chosen
elements from Part I and to be featured in your six (6) pages magazine/booklet (including cover). The
magazine/booklet shall be fully digitalized and colour printed.
The paper size of magazine/booklet to be produce in A4 size, colored, complete with annotations, cover,
layout design and photos. (** Total of 6 either double sided or single sides printing).
1. Screening Date and Assessment Day
Screening Date: 2nd
. June 2014
Venue: LT 9
Time: 12.00pm – 2.00pm
2. All videos will be compiled by group leader in a CD with proper CD cover.
Assessment criteria – Group Assignment : Video