William Wardle and Catherine White - Pioneers


Published on

William Wardle 1833-1899) &
Catherine White Wardle (1833-1911)

Published in: Spiritual
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

William Wardle and Catherine White - Pioneers

  1. 1. Pioneer William Wardle (1833-1899) & Catherine White Wardle (1833-1911) William Wardle Birth: 26 Jan 1833 Ravenstone, Leicester, England Death: 3 Oct. 1898 – Burial: South Jordan Cemetery , South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah MARRIED 25 December 1854 Whitwick, Leicestershire, England Catherine White Birth: 25 October 1838 Darleston, Staffordshire, England Death: 13 Oct. 1911 - Burial: South Jordan Cemetery , South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah
  2. 2. Liverpool to New York on the William Tapscott (14 May 1862 - 25 Jun 1862) http://mormonmigration.lib.byu.edu/Search/showDetails/db:MM_MII/t:voyage/id:435/keywords:John+J+Boyd Ship Name “William Tapscott” Departure 14 May 1862 from Liverpool Arrival 25 Jun 1862 at New York Passenger: Wardle, William (Age 29) Wardle, Catherine (Age 23) Wardle, Mary E. (Infant) Ward, Elizabeth (Age 46) Catherine’s Mother Catherine’s Mother: Elizabeth Smith White Ward (1815-1883) Other Wardle Passengers ?? After traveling to Florence, Neb. this Wardle family is with James S. Brown Company, 1862, to Utah Wardle, Ralph (Age: 50) Wardle, Harriet (Age: 54) Wardle, Louisa (Age: 17) Wardle, Ralph (Age: 16) Wardle, Emma (Age: 14)
  3. 3. On Tuesday, the packet ship William Tapscott, Captain Bell, cleared with 807 souls of the Saints on board, under the presidency of Elder William Gibson, with Elders John Clark and Francis M. Lyman as his counselors, and sailed on Wednesday morning. Elder Gibson arrived from Zion in the beginning of December 1859, and for some time travelled through the Mission, teaching and instructing the Saints in the various conferences where his labors extended. Since January 1st, 1860, he has presided over the Cheltenham District. Elder F. M. Lyman, who arrived July 27th, 1860, has been presiding over the Essex Conference, and Elder Clark over the Sheffield Conference. On Tuesday afternoon, Presidents Lyman, Rich, and Cannon held a meeting on board, addressed the Saints, and organized the company. Good feelings seemed to be enjoyed by all, and the Spirit of God was copiously poured out. May the prayers which were offered up on their behalf be realized in their fulfilment, that their voyage and journey may be speedy and prosperous, till they reach their destination in the home of the Saints. . ." MS, 24:21 (May 24, 1862), p.330 "Wed. 14. [14 May 1862] -- The ship William Tapscott sailed from Liverpool, with 808 Saints, under the direction of William Gibson, John Clark and Francis M. Lyman. It arrived safely at New York . 25 Jun 1862" The ship’s company was transported by rail from New York to Florence, Nebraska Castle Gardens Immigration Receiving Center
  4. 4. Autobiography of William Wood Passenger Aboard “William Tapscott” We soon arrived at Castle Garden and next day were on board the train bound to the west and on account of the war we had many changes. River steamer to Albany NY, Train to Chicago, IL, Quincy, IL St Joseph, MO, and river steamer to Florence, NE On arriving at Quincy we had to change into a train of cattle cars and the car I got in was a car that hogs had been shipped in. Everything was dry. The dust from the hogs' excrement was something very unpleasant.. We arrived at St. Joseph on the 4th of July and stayed overnight in a large warehouse. Everything was in great excitement. Reports of war and celebrating the 4th of July caused all kinds of comment. On the 5th we embarked on board a large river steamer. Finally we arrived at old Winter Quarters or Florence not far from where the city of Omaha now stands. They ran the boat alongside of a big bank. It was in the middle of the night and very dark. Our luggage was all pitched out in a very rough manner into a clump of willows, so we laid around as best we could on the luggage till the peep of day. After it got light everybody was hunting for their luggage. After a while Brother Joseph A. Young came to us and spoke kind and encouraging words to us, telling us the teams would soon arrive to take us and our things to a nice camping place. In a short time down came the wagons. Everything was soon loaded up and taken to the campground. Tents were served out, so many persons to one tent. As we began to pitch our tents, quite a wind sprung up and in a very short time it turned into a terrific thunderstorm and a cloudburst. Two persons were struck dead by the terrible lightning - one a brother from the London Conference and a young man from the Valley who came down to drive team for the poor emigrants. Two or three others were badly injured.
  5. 5. http://history.lds.org/overlandtravels/companyDetail?lang=eng&companyId=44 Homer Duncan Company - Captain: Homer Duncan Departure: Florence, Nebraska 22 July 1862 Arrival; Salt Lake City, Utah 21-24 September 1862 Number In Company 488 About 500 individuals were in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Florence, Nebraska (now Omaha). Member with this Homer Duncan Wagon Train Name Age Birth Date Death Date Wardle, William 29 26 January 1833 3 October 1898 Wardle, Catherine White 23 25 October 1838 13 October 1911 Wardle, Mary Elizabeth 1 7 May 1861 8 April 1933 Ward, Elizabeth * 46 Unknown Unknown *Catherine’s Mother: Elizabeth Smith White Ward (1815-1883)
  6. 6. From ” Pioneer Overland Travel” accounts Our company, led by Captain Duncan, arrived in Salt Lake City just before the October conference in 1862. One of my recollections was of a hotheaded Englishman who knocked an Indian down. Captain Homer C. Duncan, who was armed, arrived on the scene, and sensing the seriousness of the situation, he pulled out his gun and told the Englishman to get down on his knees and apologize to the Indian. The Englishman not only apologized, but also made the Indian a present of beads. As a result of the foresight and the honesty of Captain Duncan, we were not molested by the Indians throughout our long trek across the plains. Many times Indians camped beside us, but they were never troublesome and through little things, showed their great friendship. Lindsay, James, Autobiography The Church had a store at Florence and we were able to get what we needed for our journey. We waited seven weeks before the wagons came to take us to Salt Lake City. It was a strange sight to us when they did come. We had never seen oxen and men driving them with their long whips and shouting, “Whoa, Ha, and Gee” at them. We were assigned to John Turner’s wagon in Homer Duncan’s train to cross the plains. It was a very trying time for everyone traveling day after day in the heat, dust, and winds. We did our cooking in skillets over smokey fires and slept in tents with ten to fifteen men, women, and children. Flour and bacon was about all the food we had. Usually the water was bad, and sometimes no wood to burn. It was in this way that we moved along at about fifteen miles a day, often resting on Saturday afternoon to wash and clean ourselves up. All day Sunday was spent resting. Prayers were offered night and morning, and often singing and dancing in the evenings. We were two months moving from Florence to Salt Lake
  7. 7. http://billywardlegen.blogspot.com/2012/03/this-reflects-work-of-patti-call-from.html After their arrival in Utah, William and Catherine lived in a dugout above the Jordan River for a number of years.In 1870, he and his family were living with his father, John Wardle, and William was working as a hired hand. He applied for and was granted a land patent in 1874. This property tract contained over 100 acres above the river and south of the present-day 9000 South Street in West Jordan.27 In 1880, he and his family were enumerated on the South Jordan census living only two houses away from his father, John, and William was working as a farmer. During the Blackhawk wars, William served as a member of the Salt lake Militia and helped guard the fort at Sanpete..William died in 1898 in West Jordan due to an apoplectic seizure, and was buried in the South Jordan city cemetery.
  8. 8. Find A Grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=29123815 William Wardle South Jordan Cemetery , South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah Plot: 9-35-5 Catherine White Wardle South Jordan Cemetery , South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah Plot: Section 9, Lot 35, Space 6 Prepared by J.E. Anderson for Aunt Polly Ruth Wardle 1904-1989, who is Great Grand Daughter of: John Wardle 1811-1875 & Mary Kinston 1806-1875 AND Grand Daughter of: William Wardle 1833-1898 & Catherine White 1838-1911