Philip Baker & Harriett Ann Thompson


Published on

Philip Baker (1821-1901) &
Harriett Ann Thompson Baker (1844-1917)
Pioneer History

Published in: Spiritual
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Philip Baker & Harriett Ann Thompson

  1. 1. Philip Baker (1821-1901) & Harriett Ann Thompson Baker (1844-1917) Philip Baker Harriett Ann Thompson Baker Philip Baker Born: 11 October 1821 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Baptised: 25 December 1848 Immigration: Aboard Ship “Ellen Maria” Departure: 1 Feb 1851 from Liverpool, England Arrival: 7 Apr 1851 at New Orleans, LA Harriett Ann Thompson Baker Born: 28 March 1844 East Dereham, Norfolk, England Immigration Aboard Shi “Golconda” Departure 23 Jan 1853 from Liverpool, England Arrival 26 Mar 1853 at New Orleans, LA Married Some Time around 1860-61 CHILDREN All children born at Beaver, Beaver Co., Utah Harriett Marintha Baker 1861-1946 Mariah Elender Baker 1863-1881 Philip William Baker 1866-1907 Annie Levina Baker 1873-1936 Mary Jessamine Baker 1875-1876 Zelnorah Almina Baker 1878-1965 Daniel Ray Baker 1880-1917 Nora Jessimine Baker 1884-Deceased Rudger Clifford Baker 1888-1970
  2. 2. Philip Baker IMMIGRATION Liverpool to New Orleans on the Ellen Maria (1 Feb 1851 - 7 Apr 1851) Departure 1 Feb 1851 from Liverpool, England Arrival 7 Apr 1851 at New Orleans, LA PASSENGER Baker, Philip Age 29 Origin East Dereham. Occupation: Labourer "February. Sun. 2. [1851] -- The ship Ellen Maria sailed from Liverpool, England, with 378 Saints on board, under George D. Watt's direction. Apostle Orson Pratt and family also returned with that company. The ship arrived at New Orleans April 6th." April 9th 1851, most of the company left New Orleans for St. Louis, Missouri, on the Alexander Scott, one of the largest boats on the Mississippi River, and arrived in St. Louis on the sixteenth In the Frontier Guardian of May 30th, 1851, the following notice appears: 'The Robert Campbell (a steamboat) arrived on Wednesday the twenty-first (May) at Kanesville, [Council Bluffs, Iowa – known as Kanesville until 1852] with a large company of Saints from England, Scotland, etc., under the watchcare and direction of Elder George D. Watt, our able phonographic writer and lecturer. A goodly number of both companies (referring to the Olympus Company also,) are destined for the valley of the Great Salt Lake this season, and the balance will remain in this and surrounding counties of western Iowa, for the time being to raise wheat, corn, potatoes, * * * All the Saints who have got this far on their journey, seem to be anxious to get to the end of it; but the weather being so very unfavorable for the last ten days, they are compelled to lie on their oars a short time, much against their will.' Millennial Star, Vol. XII, pages 58, 200." Philip Baker is identified as traveling from Council Bluffs, Iowa to Salt Lake City with an unidentified wagon train. Eighteen or more wagon companies made the trip from Council Bluffs, IA to Salt Lake City, Utah during 1851
  3. 3. ======================================================= Harriett Ann Thompson IMMIGRATION 1853 - With her parents and brothers William & James and sister Anna M. Liverpool to New Orleans on the Golconda (23 Jan 1853 - 26 Mar 1853) Origin Norwich, England Ffamily members on this voyage: Thompson, William (Age: 35) Thompson, Ann M. (Age: 35) Thompson, William (Age: 11) Thompson, Harriett (Age: 8) Thompson, James (Age: 7) SIXTY-SECOND COMPANY. -- Golconda, 321 Saints. Under the presidency of Elder Jacob Gates, three hundred and twenty-one Saints sailed from Liverpool, on board the ship Golconda, January 23, 1853. Among other prominent elders on board there were Claudius V. Spencer, A. M. Harmon, R. Rostron, W. Speakman and John Carmichael, who had acted as pastors and presidents of conferences; some of them had been in the missionary fields for many years. Among those who emigrated in the Golconda, were the late Thomas King and his wife, Hannah Tapsfield King, who assisted quite a number of poor Saints in emigrating to Zion. After a prosperous voyage of forty-four days, the Golconda arrived at the Balize, at the mouth of the Mississippi River, where they waited twelve days for a steam tug to take them up to New Orleans. During the voyage, half an hour's storm despoiled the gallant vessel of her three top masts. Four births, two marriages, and two deaths occurred on board; the health of the Saints was very good generally during the entire passage. On the twentieth of March, Elder Spencer baptized Erik M. Caste, a Swedish sailor, who accompanied the Saints to the Valley. The conduct of Captain Kerr gave great satisfaction to all the company, and before the parting a vote of thanks, with three cheers, was tendered him.
  4. 4. On the twenty-sixth of March the vessel arrived safely in New Orleans, where the emigrants boarded the steam packet Illionois, on which they continued the journey to St. . Louis, Missouri, and thence, soon afterwards, to Keokuk, Iowa. Harriet Ann Thompson, Reminiscences "We came to Utah in 1853, crossed the ocean in the old style sail-vessel "Galconda" [Golconda]. Mr. Bwerker was the sea captain. It took 70 days to cross from Liverpool to New Orleans. We were detained in mid-ocean because of a severe storm. From New Orleans we traveled to Keokuk, Iowa waiting at this point 3 weeks for ox teams to be fitted out for crossing the plains. The next move was to Council Bluffs, Iowa then on to Salt Lake City. They put ten outfits in a company. Each company having a captain. Our captain was Joseph W. Young. My father, William P. Thompson, a sick Mother, a cripple, with four young children, set out on this long trip. At night Father stood guard against the Indians, he drove ox team during the day. Mother and baby 10 months old, Sarah Ann, rode. The other members walked full distance. Well I do remember our feet, sore and blistered with walking. Also fear of the Indian attacks. One time they stole Father's watch. Again on the journey Mother was real ill. She had mountain fever. Being to[o] sick to travel, they camped on the Platte River. Joseph W. Young, our captain, administered to her and promised her she would be better and live to see Salt Lake Valley, and she did. We arrived there (Salt Lake City) in the month of October, after a nine month journey
  5. 5. Joseph W. Young Emigrating Company, Journal, 1853 Feb.-June. Monday Oct. 10, 1853 - about 3 P.M. where we were met by Elders J.C. and Hector Haight, ascended the Hill and to the joy of all came in sight of the City where we arrived at 5 P.M. and encamped on Union Square in peace and security Tuesday Oct. 11., 1853 This morning the company was aroused by Trumpet Sound at 6 o’clock to prepare for dismissing[.] About 9 A.M. a meeting was called when president J.W. Young spoke well to the saints enjoining upon them faithfulness, diligence &c[.] they were also addressed by President Brigham Young with power and the manifestation of the Holy Ghost, teaching the saints that which was essential for their future destiny, also welcoming them to this delightful vale. Find A Grave Philip William Baker Mountain View Cemetery Beaver, Beaver County, Utah Plot: B_235_3 Harriett Ann Thompson Baker Mountain View Cemetery Beaver, Beaver County, Utah Plot: B_235_4 Prepared by J.E.Anderson for Uncle Earl Franklin Baldwin (1909-1970) Grand Son of Philip Baker (1821-1901) & Harriett Ann Thompson Baker (1844-1917)