Margaret J Jackson Meikle


Published on

William Meikle & (1795 – 1853)
Margaret Jessie Jackson (1799 – 1887)

Published in: Travel, Sports
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Margaret J Jackson Meikle

  1. 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF William Meikle & (1795 – 1853) Margaret Jessie Jackson (1799 – 1887) Files of: Erma P. Gordon Anderson (additions by Joe Anderson) Joe Anderson: A great great grandson William Meikle Born:19- 26 Jul 1795 (or 1798) Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland Christened 28 Jul 1795 Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland Died: 7 Jan 1853 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland; Buried: 1853 Parkhead Cemetery, Gallow Gate Road, Lanark, Scotland Married: 22 Jun 1834 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland Margaret Jessie Jackson Born: 15 Jun 1799 Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland Christened 19 Jul 1799 Cambuslang, Lanark, Scotland Baptized: 15 Oct 1848, England Died: 22 Feb 1887 Smithfield, Cache, Utah William Meikle Died: 22 Jun 1853 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland LDS Emigration Margaret Jessie Jackson Along with: William /Meikle/ Born: 15 Oct 1824 Bethwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland (Step Son) Isabelle /Meikle/ Born: 6 Apr 1837 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland (Daughter) James Joseph /Meikle/ Born 5 Jul 1839 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland (Son) 23 March 1856 DEPARTED: Liverpool, England; aboard ship “Enoch Train”. 30 April 1856 ARRIVED: Boston, Massachusetts 2 May 1856 DEPARTED: Boston, Massachusetts; via train Mid May 1856 ARRIVED: Iowa City, Iowa 11 June, 1856 DEPARTED: Iowa City, Iowa with 2nd Handcart Company 26 Sept 1856 ARRIVDED: Salt Lake City, Utah -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. 2. Meikle, William & Margaret Jackson marriage proclamation record MARRIAGE: 1834 Hamilton, Lanark, Scotland Parish Register to Margaret Jackson - "Proclamations" "Proclaimed William Meikle and Margaret Jackson both in this Parish for two days on the 15 and 22nd June [1834]" <Meikle
  3. 3. Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland Kirkmichael is a village in South Ayrshire, Scotland, located between Patna, Maybole and Striton. Kirkmichael means "The Church of St. Michael". Kirkmichael lies three miles east of Maybole and started life as the focus of a well populated rural parish served by its church. It is a small village set amid the rolling hills of South Ayrshire. It is a ten mile drive south of central Ayr. Back of Church Its origins date back to the 1200s when John de Gemmelstoun founded a church beside the Dyrock Burn here, which he dedicated to St. Michael. For much of its early life the village was called Kirkmichael of Gemilston, after its founder, but the name was eventually simplified. The village church you see today dates back to 1787 and is a fairly typical T-plan design intended to provide a large number of seats within a fairly small space. The surrounding churchyard reflects its much greater age, though the attractive lich gate leading to it only dates back to 1702, according to the inscription on its bell. The lich gate was intended to accommodate mourners at funerals. The mining industry dominated much of South Ayrshire and Kirkmichael Kirkmichael Front of Church
  4. 4. Kirkmichael Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland Cambuslang (Scottish Gaelic: Camas Long from camas - river bend, long - ship) is a suburban town on the south-eastern outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland located within the local authority area of South Lanarkshire. The town is located just south of the River Clyde - about 6 miles south-east of the centre of Glasgow. It has a long history of coal mining, iron and steel making and ancillary engineering works.
  5. 5. The Cambuslang Subscription School of 1848 provided basic education to the children of miners and weavers in return for a few coppers. It was attractive to those who did not like the influence of the gentry and the Minister on the Parish School. Cambuslang has been very prosperous over time, depending first upon its agricultural land, (supplying food, then wool, then linen ) then the mineral resources under its soil (limestone and coal, and, to some extent, iron). These were jealously guarded by, first of all, the Medieval Church, then the local aristocracy. The manufacturing industries that grew up from them attracted immigrants from all over Scotland and from the rest of the United Kingdom, which included at that time Ireland. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- William Meikle first married (1822) Marion M. Cochram and the couple had five children 1- Elizabeth /Meikle/ Born 1823 at Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland 2- William (Jr) /Meikle/ Born: 15 Oct 1824 Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland 3- Clifford /Meikle/ Born: 1827 at Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland 4- Jane /Meikle/ Born 1 Jul 1830 at Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland 5- Gilbert /Meikle/ Born 3 Feb 1833 at Bothwell, Lanarkshire, Scotland Bothwell is a small town in South Lanarkshire, Scotland, that lies on the right bank of the River Clyde, adjacent to Hamilton and nine miles east-south-east of Glasgow. It is predominantly a residential town. Marion M. Cochram died during 1833 By banns* posted June 15 and June 22, 1834, William Meikle married Margaret J. Jackson at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland * ‘The banns of marriage, commonly known simply as "the banns", (from an Old English word meaning "to summon") are the public announcement in a parish church that a marriage is going to take place between two specified persons”
  6. 6. Hamilton is a large town in west central Scotland, which serves as the main administrative centre of the South Lanarkshire council area. It lies 12 miles south-east of Glasgow, and 35 miles south-west of Edinburgh. It sits on the south bank of the River Clyde, close to its confluence with the Avon Water. The town of Hamilton was originally known as Cadzow (the "z" representing the letter yogh, ie pronounced Cadihou), but was re-named in honor of James Hamilton, 1st Lord Hamilton. The Hamilton family constructed many landmark buildings in the area. Other historic buildings in the area include Hamilton Old Parish Church - a Georgian era building completed in (1734) and the only church to have been built by William Adam. The graveyard of the old parish church contains some of the remains of the Covenanters. Hamilton Palace was the largest non-Royal residence in the Western World, located in the north-east of the town. A former seat of the Dukes of Hamilton, it was built in 1695, subsequently much enlarged, and demolished in 1921 due to ground subsidence. It is widely acknowledged as having been one of the grandest houses in Scotland, was visited and admired by Queen Victoria, and was written about by Daniel Defoe. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- William Meikle and Jessie Jackson Meikle were married on 22 Jun 1834 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland. The couple had three children: 1- Robert /Meikle/ Born: 15 Apr 1835 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland 2- Isabelle /Meikle/ Born: 6 Apr 1837 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland 3- James Joseph /Meikle/ Born 5 Jul 1839 at Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland Tradition states that William worked in the knitting mills in Glasgow. In the 1851 census we find the family living in Calton, Lanark, Scotland, at 85 Reid St. William is listed as a shoemaker for an occupation, and Margaret is listed as a milk shopkeeper, and the children listed are Robert, Isabella and James. Calton is a district of East Glasgow in the parish of Barony, closer to Glasgow than Bridgeton. William Meikle and Margaret J. Jackson Meikle, with their family embraced the LDS gospel in Scotland William was baptized on 12 Jul 1844, by James Houston. Margaret Jessie Jackson Meikle is show to be baptized on 15 Oct 1848
  7. 7. The family was discussing and considering the “Come to Zion” call of President Brigham Young. However, William Meikle died 1853, before it was possible to emigrate. Son, Robert Meikle, Born 15 Apr 1835, being the oldest son and a dependable, energetic young man, his mother decided for him to emigrate to Utah first. He was nineteen years old when he started for Utah. He landed in Salt Lake City in 1854. [Meikle, Robert, 1854, Old England, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 200177 25690] Vessel Rig Registry Tons Master No. LDS Pass. Depart. Port Depart. Date Arrival Port Arrival Date Passage Days Comp Old England Ship U.S. 917 J. Barstow 45 Liv. 3-5-54 N.O. 4-26-54 52 J. Angus During 1855-56 Margaret Jessie Jackson Meikle (age 58) along with her step son William (age 32), daughter Isabella (age 19) and son James Joseph (age 17); decided to emigrate, with others, to Salt Lake City, Utah.. The LDS Church, under President Brigham Young, established the Perpetual Emigration Fund to assist emigrants meet the call to “Come to Zion” re Zion = Utah. They made their way from Hamilton , Lanarkshire, Scotland to Liverpool, England. (a distance of 209 miles) There, along with 500+ other LDS converts, they began their journey to Utah. This group became part of the 1st and 2nd Handcart Company’s. Meikle, Margaret & family members - British Mission record of emigration. LDS RECORD: 1856 abt, British Mission Record [FHL #0,025,691] Book #0145, p. 86: Enoch Train: Margaret Meikle 57 widow, Isabella 19 spinster; James 17 carpenter, William 30 weaver, P. E. fund Enoch Train (23 Mar 1856 - 1 May 1856) LDS Emigration DEPARTED: Liverpool, England; 23 March 1856; aboard ship “Enoch Train”. ARRIVED: Boston, Massachusetts; 30 April 1856 DEPART: Boston, Massachusetts; 2 May 1856; via train ARRIVED: Iowa City, Iowa DEPART: Iowa City, Iowa, 11 June, 1856 with 2nd Handcart Company ARRIVDE: Salt Lake City, Utah 26 September 1856 Six ( 6) months, three and a half (3 ½) of which was with the 2nd Handcart Co. Look at biographies of son’s Robert and James Joseph Meikle for information on Jessie Jackson Meikle in Utah. I can find no additional information concerning stepson William, after being shown on the rosters.
  8. 8. Passengers aboard Encoh Train and members of 2nd Handcart Company Include: MEIKLE, Margaret <1799> Age 57 Glasgow, Scotland Widow MEIKLE, William <1826> Age 30 Glasgow, Scotland Weaver (step-son) MEIKLE, Isabella <1837> Age 19 Glasgow, Scotland Spinster (daughter) MEIKLE, James <1839> Age 17 Glasgow, Scotland Carpenter (son) Other ancestors aboard Enoch Train and also members of 2nd Handcart Company Passengers aboard Encoh Train and members of 2nd Handcart Company Include: Name Birth Date Age PARK, Isabella <1794> 62 DRANEY, John <1825> 31 DRANEY, Mary Jane <1828> 28 Isabella Park’s daughter (Mary Jane Park Draney) DRANEY, Samuel <1854> 2 1/2 DRANEY, Isabella <1856> 4 mo. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Also aboard the “Enoch Train” and with the 2nd Handcart Co were Corrine Baldwin’s ancestors. Corrine Baldwin is Duane Baldwin’s wife. Corrine Baldwin is a descendant of: ELIKER, Barbara <1832> Age 24 ELIKER, Heinrich <1797>, ELIKER, Margaratha <1802>, ELIKER, Margaratha <1808>, ELIKER, Heinrich, Jr <1830>, ELIKER, Barbara <1832> EELIKER, Elizabeth <1832>, ELIKER, Konard <1836>, ELIKER, Susanna <1842>, ELIKER, Johannes <1842> From an account from the Second Handcart Company. “John and Nancy McCleve, natives of Ireland, took their seven children across the plains with this caravan. Sharing the tent with them was a German family, none of whom could speak English. It comprised Mr. and Mrs. Elliker and their seven children. Mr. Elliker and three children died on the journey. John McCleve was buried two days before the party reached Salt Lake City.” ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ “ENOCH TRAIN” Source - The Cork Examiner, 28 March 1856 - THE MORMON EXODUS.--On Wednesday last an extraordinary scene was witnessed at the New-street railway station, Birmingham. A fine ship, the Enoch Trail [sic- Enoch Train], having been chartered to convey a cargo of Mormons to the United States, en route to their settlement in Utah territory, three hundred men and women, boys and girls, formed the contingent supplied by the Birmingham district. They left by the half-past ten train. All seemed to belong to the working classes, and the proportion of the sexes was about equal. Many hundreds of their relatives and fellow-saints assembled at the station to bid them fairwell ; and in spite of the efforts of the instrumental bands to cheer the spirits of the females, some very affecting scenes were witnessed. They sail to-day from Liverpool. There will be some 900 on board. --Birmingham Journal. SHIP NEWS--QUEENSTOWN. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  9. 9. FROM LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND TO BOSTON, MASS., USA The ship Enoch Train, Captain Henry P. Rich, cleared on Saturday the 23 March 1856, hence for Boston, with 534 souls of the Saints on board, all under the presidency of Elder James Ferguson, Edmund Ellsworth, and Daniel D. McArthur (McArthur leader of 2nd Handcart Co). The company included the first emigrants for Utah by the Perpetual Emigration Fund in 1856 -- who were to cross the plains with 1st and 2nd Handcart Co.’s. There were 431 of these [PEF] emigrants, and 103 called “ordinary' passengers”. There were 4 births and 2 deaths during the voyage. While the ship was lying at anchor at Liverpool, Friday night, March 21, Mary Ann, wife of Elder Thomas Lyon, was delivered of a daughter, who was named Christina Enoch. CLEANING, PRAYERS & STOWAWAYS Sunday 23. A 6 o’clock, a.m., the horn was blown for the Saints to rise, the decks were then cleaned, and at half-past seven prayers were attended to. About eight o’clock we weighed anchor; wind North Northeast, and the weather fair. The ship was towed down the river by the steamtug “Independence.” At half-past nine o’clock, all the company were mustered, to see if there were any stowaways, found none.  Monday, the twenty-fourth, Agnes, wife of Samuel Hargraves, was delivered of a son, named Enoch Train, and later in the day Elizabeth, wife of William Johnston, gave birth to a son named Hamilton. On Monday, the thirty-first, Esther Devereaux died of consumption, aged sixty-nine years. Monday 24. Towards noon many of the Saints were very sick, the wind was Southeast, blowing middling fresh, and the ship making five knots an hour. The general routine of cleaning, serving water, was attended to. At fifteen minutes past ten, p.m., Sister Elizabeth, wife of William Johnstone, was delivered of a son--named Hamilton. At midnight the ship rolled heavily, and was going at the rate of eleven knots. Thursday, 27. Nearly all the sick were on deck, chatting, singing, and running about. We had a splendid run for a few days, and expected to be in Boston in four weeks, but it was ordered otherwise by a kind Providence. The captain steered south to escape the ice. Thursday, April 3. The company was all on deck. Towards evening we had a little dancing, while the band played several lively airs. The Saints by this time began to enjoy their food. On the seventeenth of April, Mary, wife of James Sheen, was delivered of a son. After 39 days, on Thursday, 1st of May 1856 at eight a.m., arrived at Constitution wharf, Boston.
  10. 10. FROM BOSTON TO IOWA CITY BIB: Ferguson, J[ames], [Letter], Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star 18:23 (June 7, 1856) pp. 353-55 (HDL) I was particularly anxious to make a good first impression upon the people of Massachusetts, in view, not only of our emigration interests, but of our approaching struggle for admission into the Confederacy. I am thankful to say that I am more than satisfied. When the quarantine doctor and government agent came on board, you might have licked the “between decks” without soiling your tongue. They both pronounced, it to the visiting strangers, as far ahead of anything they had ever seen. They were followed by a number of members of the Massachusetts Legislature, who were all astonished at our cleanly, healthy appearance, and though know nothings, declared their delight at seeing such a class of people come to settle in their country. It was a rainy day on which we left Boston. Friday 2nd of May 1856 at four o'clock p.m., the following day, the passengers disembarked they went by nine omnibuses to the railway station. They started by train at five p.m., for New York, where they arrived on the 3rd of May. After a short stay in New York, where a few of the passengers remained temporarily, the company continued the journey by rail to Iowa City, where they arrived on the 10th of June 1856. {NOTE: Ttheymay have arrived earlier than this date – Mid May probably 10 May 1856}. The P. E. Fund emigrants who crossed the Atlantic in the Enoch Train, were forwarded from Boston to Iowa City, via New York, for eleven dollars and fifty cents per head for adults -- those over fourteen years old; and five dollars and seventy-five cents were paid for children between the ages of four and fourteen; those under four years went free. One hundred pounds of luggage was allowed for each adult, and fifty pounds for each child over three years old. Leaving by rail, they traveled to Rock Island, Illinois. The train being 15 minutes late saved all of them from plunging into the Mississippi River as the bridge has broken with the train ahead of them. They stayed at Rock Island until Monday morning crossing the Mississippi River by boat. Here they traveled in box cars to Iowa City. From here they walked 4 miles to the Iowa camp grounds. So, along with the rest of the men, they made their handcarts on which they could haul the few things necessary to make the journey across the plains, one thousand miles to Utah. The family stayed in Iowa City six weeks
  11. 11. The “immigrant pioneers” were provided some assistance by the LDS Church. For instance, providing the material, at Iowa City, needed to make a handcart. However, the pioneers had to build their own handcart & the materials are charged to their PEF account. FROM IOWA CITY, IOWA TO SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH
  12. 12. Iowa City: 1856 The Handcart Pioneers Iowa City was the end for the west-bound railroad in 1856. It was here that the convert emigrants were outfitted with handcarts to begin their trek. With nearly empty carts they made good time across Iowa to Council Bluffs. Here they acquired the remaining provisions for their long march. Thousands of immigrants from England and Wales who joined the Church and the trek west took on a new form of transportation to Salt Lake City. They couldn't afford wagons after leaving their homeland, so they pulled handcarts. The human-powered handcarts, which were envisioned by Brigham Young, proved to be one of the most brilliant—and tragic—experiments in all western migration. "To lead the second Handcart Company, Daniel D. McArthur (who was aboard “Enoch Train”), age thirty-six, was chosen. ... he too was a returning missionary and was a native of New York state. He had become a member of the Mormon Church at the age of eighteen, had experienced the persecutions in Missouri and Illinois and had migrated to Utah in '48. The Second Company numbered 222 (sic) souls. Train consisted of 12 yoke of oxen, 4 wagons, and 48 carts; we also had 5 beef and 12 cows; flour, 55 lbs. per head, 100 lbs. of rice, 550 lbs. of sugar, 400 lbs. dried apples, 125 lbs. tea, and 200 lbs. salt for the company. (Some of their provisions were replenished along the way.) This is an interesting site to trace the path of pioneers Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel, 1847–1868,15797,4017-1-195,00.html Daniel D. McArthur Company (1856) Departure: 11 June 1856 Arrival in Salt Lake Valley: 26 September 1856 Company Information: 2nd handcart company had about 220 individuals, 44 handcarts, and 2 wagons in the company when it began its journey from the outfitting post at Iowa City, Iowa. The companies were organized with about five persons to a Handcart, and approximately twenty individuals to a tent. The occupants of each tent were under a president, or tent captain, and five tents were supervised by the captain of a "hundred." The tent captain was expected to give all his time and attention to his company, to make sure that all allotments of one pint of flour for each person were given every twenty-four hours and to equalize as nearly as possible all labor, or to act as the father over his family. Each person was allowed seventeen pounds of baggage, including clothing, bedding, and utensils, not counting what they were wearing or carrying on their person. One old sister carried a teapot and colander on her apron string all the way to Salt Lake. Another carried a hat box full of things, but she died on the way.
  13. 13. The first two Handcart Companies left Iowa City two days apart and arrived in Salt Lake City on the same day. Captain D. D. McArthur’d 2nd Handcart Co. left on the 11th June, 1856 with 221 (sic) souls, accompanied by Elders Crandall and Leonard as assistants. (A member of the party, Twice Birmingham, kept a diary; the following selected excerpts came from his writings) "12th June 1856. Traveled 12 miles. Started at 91/2 o'clock and camped at I o'clock. Very hot day and windy. The dust flew so thick that we could not see each other 1 yard distant. "21st Traveled 14 miles. A child died this morning and was buried under a tree. "July 1st. Storm, thunder and lightning raged fearfully all night. Blew up part of our tent and wet all our clothes through. Lay all night in our wet clothes until morning with water running under us. (The Parker Child was lost this day) "July 3rd. Started at 5 o'clock and camped at 71/4, after a long and tedious journey of 25 miles. Some of the Brethren fainted on the road and were carried into camp in the ox-team. I nearly fainted myself from exhaustion, but plucked up courage and never let go the Handcart ..." "July 7th. After 10 miles, 2 families gave out, being frightened at getting nothing for 3 days but Indian corn stirabout. They stopped at a farm house to work for 2 dollars per day and food "July 8th. Camped at the Mormon camp at Florence City at 71/2 o'clock. The company generally very fatigued. Found some of Brother Ellsworth's company (Company # 1) lying insensible on the road. This day we traveled through a beautiful country and passed Council Bluffs ..." (The incident of the Parker Child, is taken from other diaries) "Robert and Ann Parker were traveling in McArthur's Company with their four children: Max, 12, Martha Alice, 10; Arthur, 6; and Ada, 1 year old. One day little Arthur sat down to rest, unnoticed by the other children. A sudden storm came up, and the company hurriedly made camp. Finding that Arthur was not with the children, an organized search was begun. It continued a second day, but with out success." "Ann Parker pinned a bright shawl about the thin shoulders of her husband and sent him back alone on the trail to search again for their child. If he found him dead, he was to wrap him in the shawl; if alive, the shawl would be a flag to signal her. Ann and her children took up their load and struggled on with the company, while Robert retraced the miles of forest trail, calling, and searching and praying for his helpless little son. At last he reached a mail and trading station where he learned that his child had been found and cared for by a woodsman and his wife. He had been ill from exposure and fright. But God had heard the prayers of his people." "Out on the trail each night Ann and her children kept watch and, when, on the third night, the rays of the setting sun caught the glimmer of a bright red shawl, the brave little mother sank, in a pitiful heap in the sand ... Ann slept for the first time in 6 days." (When the company reached Florence, on the 17th of July, they were reported to be in "fine health and spirits, singing the noted Handcart song -- Some Must Push and Some Must Pull Come, Come, Ye Saints - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  14. 14. THE HANDCART SONG Ye Saints that dwell on Europe's shore, Prepare yourselves with many more To leave behind your native land, For sure God's Judgments are at hand. Prepare to cross the stormy main, Before you do the Valley gain, And with the faithful make a start To cross the plains with your Handcart. Chorus: Some must push and some must pull. As we go marching up the hill. As merrily on the way we go Until we reach the Valley, Oh! By I D. T. McAllister "27th July Camped all day on the north bend of the Platte. Took a dose of castor oil, which sickened me very much and kept me cantering for a long time." (Note: Now Boys use your imagination. This is a polite way of saying I took a dose of laxative and 'cantering' might be likened to 'Quick Steps' in today's jargon. Also, recognize they are out on the prairie without an outhouse and the nearest tree stump is just over that next ridge.) "28th. July Rather weak this morning and terribly annoyed by two boils, one on my jaw about as big as a pigeon egg and another on the calf of my leg which torments me very much when drawing the Handcart." "31 st. July Left Loup-Fork and traveled 20 miles without water. I was so exhausted with my sores and the labor of pulling that I was obliged to lay down for a few hours after arriving in camp before I could do anything. Kate (the writer, Birmingham's wife) was also so tired and fatigued out that she was glad to get lying down without supper and I was not able to cook any for ourselves so we were obliged to do with a bit of bread and a pint of milk. This is the quantity of milk we have been allowed morning and evening since we left Florence. Sometimes it is less. Rather little for 5 persons." "3rd August. ... I was very much grieved today, so much so that I thought my heart would burst -- sick -- and poor Kate -- at the same time -- crawling on her hands and knees, and the children crying with hunger and fatigue. About 12 o'clock a thunder storm came on, and the rain fell in torrents. ... every stitch we had was the same as if we were dragged through the river." "16th August. This morning an old woman belonging to our company was bitten by a rattlesnake in the leg and before half an hour her leg swelled to four times its thickness. She was administered to by the Elders and we started again, (They anointed both her leg and head) but unfortunately as we were starting another old woman (Isabella Park) was run over by one of the wagons. The front wheel went over her thighs and the back wheels over her shins, not one of her bones was broken. (Note These two sisters were companions, both were over 60 years old. They both recovered from their injuries, and later, happily and gratefully walked into the Salt Lake Valley on September 26th. ) "17th August. Sunday. In camp all day. Spent the day mending my boots, and Kate was washing. This day, a German sister died." "24th. ... We had to ford 20 streams this week." "4th Sept. We met the (relief) wagons at Deer Creek which were sent with flour from the Valley to meet us. ... we will have to pay at the rate of 180 per lb. when we get to the city. Travelled at the rate of about 25 miles per day."
  15. 15. {Note: The relief group meeting the Handcart Co’s included another ancestor, Samuel Park, Jr. His mother, Isabella Park, and his sister, Mary Jane Park Draney (with her husband and 2 children) were part of the 2nd Handcart Co.} "21st Sept. We are now 113 miles from the city." 26th Sept 1856 Arrive at Salt Lake City, Utah. They departed Liverpool, England 23 March 1856 Wilford Woodruff, one of the Counselors of President Brigham Young, describes the reception: “One of the most interesting scenes that was ever witnessed in our Territory, was arrival of two of the Handcart Companies on the 26th Sept. Having heard the night previous that they were camped between the two mountains, President Young and Kimball, and many citizens, with a detachment of the Lancers, and the brass bands, went out to meet and escort them into the city. I must say my feelings were inexpressible to behold a company of men, women, and children, many of them aged and infirm, enter the city of the Great Salt Lake, drawing 100 handcarts. This sight filled our hearts with joy and thanksgiving to God.” (The 100 handcarts included both companies 1 and 2.) Brother McArthur reported that “with only the loss of 8 souls, 7 died, and one, a young man, we never could tell what happened to him." ===================================================================== AFTER ARRIVAL IN SALT LAKE CITY 26th Sept 1856 Margaret’s daughter Isabella married William Blackhurst 25 Jan 1857 in Salt Lake City as part of a plural marriage, had 4 children and remained in Salt Lake City the rest of her life. In 1860, Margaret and James were listed in Brigham, Cache, Utah. Robert was still in Salt Lake City. During this year (Her obituary states May 1869, an obvious conflict) Margaret, Robert & James were sent to Smithfield, Cache, Utah to colonize the area. They secured land and built a home in the fort on the north side of the creek. The sons secured some farming land and built a tannery where they ground the bark for tanning purposes by horsepower. They made leather enough to supply the shoemakers in the area. “The people who settled Smithfield had many trials and disappointments starting their homes, as did the Pioneers in other places. Brigham Young always advised the early settlers to build in fort line as a means of protection against the Indian raids, not that the Indians were always unfriendly but to be on the safe side, not knowing when they might be provoked to make an attack. Said Brigham Young, “If you do not build in fort lines, the Indians will make you.” [Written by a child of Robert.] “During the winter of 1860 and 1861 there were 68 houses built in fort line. The houses were mostly one roomed, constructed of rough logs, with all the windows and doors facing the inside of the fort. The roof was covered with straight willows, long grass and dirt. Most of them leaked when it rained. Very few had anything but dirt floors the first winter. You can imagine how cold they would be if they had no straw to spread on them. As window glass was a luxury few could afford it so cloth of some kind was used.”
  16. 16. Robert and James built a small tannery, which they operated for many years. They supplied the shoemakers with leather. In 1870 Margaret Jesse age 70 is living with James and wife Harriet, next door to Robert. 1873 daughter Isabella dies in Salt Lake City. In 1880 still in Smithfield, Margaret is living with Robert and children (his wife Margaret had died that year) and James is next door In 1887 Margaret died at the residence of her son Robert in Smithfield, Cache, Utah. She was buried in the Smithfield Cemetery, plot A-161-8. Margaret Jessie Jackson Meikle Born: 19 Jul 1798 Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland 26th Sept 1856 Arrive at Salt Lake City, Utah In 1860 Margaret and sons Robert and James Joseph, moved to Smithfield, Utah Margaret lived with her son Robert and Died: 22 Feb 1887 Smithfield, Cache, Utah OBITUARY MEIKLE:: at Smithfield February 22, 1887 of old age at the residence of her son (Robert Meikle) Margaret Jacksom Meikle widow of William Meikle; Born July 19, 1798 at Cumburslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland; baptized into the Church in 1843 by Elder William Gibson, emigrated in 1856 crossing the plains in captain Daniel McDarther’s handcart company; moved to Smithfield May 1869 (correction 1860) where she resided until her death ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Read the account of Handcart Co’s on Wikipedia. It’s a pretty good summary. We have two sets of ancestors (comprising a party of nine 9 people) in the 2nd Handcart co. and Harriet Louisa Peacock’s brother (Alfred J. Peacock) was in the 4th Willie Handcart Co. Mormon handcart pioneers The Mormon handcart pioneers were participants in the migration of members of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter- day Saints (also known as the LDS Church) to Salt Lake City, Utah, who used handcarts to transport their belongings. Less than 10 percent of the 1847–68 Latter- day Saint emigrants made the journey west using handcarts
  17. 17. Tour of the Mormon Handcart Trail – From Liverpool England (aboard Enoch Train) Boston, Mass. Railrod from Boston to Iowa City, Iowa. Handcarts from Iowa City, Iowa to Salt Lake City, Utah
  18. 18. Your tombstone stands neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled so many years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you. Meikle Marker - Smithfield Cemetery Margaret Jessie Jackson Memorial# 179895 William Meikle (1795-1835) Memorial# 115233415
  19. 19. William Meikle Born:19- 26 Jul 1795 (or 1798) Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland Christened 28 Jul 1795 Kirkmichael, Ayrshire, Scotland Died: 7 Jan 1853 Hamilton, Lanarkshire, Scotland; Buried: 1853 Parkhead Cemetery, Gallow Gate Road, Lanark, Scotland Believe this is Parkhead Cemetery, Gallow Gate Road, Lanark, Scotland
  20. 20. The Desert News: October 1, 1856 The First Hand-Cart Companies Having learned that Capt. Edmund Ellsworth’s company camped at the Willow Springs on the evening of the 28th inst., on the 26th Presidents Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, Liaut. Genl. D.H. Wells, and many others citizens, in carriages, and several gentlemen and ladies on horseback, with a part of Capt. H.B. Clawson’s company of Lancers and the Brass Bands under Capt. William Pitt, left the Governor’s Office at 9 a.m., with the view of meeting and escorting them into the city. With about a mile and a half of this foot of the Little Mountain, Pres. Young ordered the party to halt until the hand carts should arrive, and with prest. Kimball drove on to meet them. Ere long the anxiously expected train came in Sight, led by Capt. Ellsworth on foot, and with Two aged veterans pulling the front cart, followed by a long line of cart attended by the old, middle aged and young of both sexes. When opposite the reporting party, a halt was called and their Captain introduced the new comers to Prests., Young and Kimball, which was followed by the joyous greeting of relatives and friends, and the unexpected treat of melons. While thus regaling, Capt. Daniel D. McArthur came up with his hand-cart company, They having traveled from the east: bow of the Big Mountain. From the halt to the Public Square on 2nd ? West Temple street, the following order was observed, under the supervision of Capt. Clawson’s – Lancers; Ladies on horseback; Prest. Young’s, Prest. Kimball’s and Lieut. Genl. Well’s, carriages; the Bands; Capts. Ellsworth’s and McArthur’s companies; Citizens in carriages and on horseback. The line of march was scarcely taken up, before it began to be met by men, women and children on foot, on horses, and in wagons, thronging out to see and welcome the first hand-cart companies and the number rapidly increased until the living tide lined and thronged South Temple street. The procession reached the Public Square about sunset, where the Lancers, Bands and carriages were formed in a line facing the line of hand carts; and after a few remarks by Prest. Young, accompanied by his blessing, The spectators and escorts settled? and the Companies pitched their tents, at the end of a walk and pull upwards of 1300 miles. This journey has been performed with less than the average amount of mortality usually attending ox trains; and all, though somewhat fatigued, stepped out with alacrity to the last, and appeared buoyant and cheerful. They had often traveled 25 and 30 miles in a day, and would have come through in a much shorter time, had they not been obliged to wait upon the slow motion of the oxen attached to the few wagons containing the ??? and groceries. Much credit is due to Capt. Ellsworth for having walked the entire distance, thus cheering and encouraging his company by example, as well as precept, and saints with their hand carts, aided by Capts. Ellsworth and McArthur and their Assistants, Elders Oakly, Butler, Crandal and Leonard, and guided and Vastxtoed ?? by the Almighty, have preached in the ungodly a sermon louder than the voice of many thunders. And thus has been successfully accomplished a plan, devised by the wisdom and forethought of our President, for rapidly gathering the poor, almost entirely independent of the wealth so closely hoarded beyond their reach. Herein is exhibited a portion of the faith and patience of the Saints’, but will the world heed the lesson? Only the wise, for the wicked will pass on and be punished.