Samuel Park Jr and Jean Harvey Park


Published on

Samuel Park Jr. (1828 – 1898) &
Jean (Jane) Harvey (1831 – 1920)

  • We may be related to ancestors who were cousins? My ancestors: Samuel Park Jr. was born 14 August 1828 at Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Ireland. His Father “Samuel Park (1795-1833) and Mother “Isabella Grey (1793-1879) were also born at Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Ireland. The Father passed away and the family moved to Kilburnie, Ayrshire, Scotland about 1833. It is my understanding that several Park family members (Aunt’s, Uncle’s, etc,) moved from Ireland to Scotland around this time (1833). Do your Father’s (Joseph Park) ancestors come from Ireland? My ancestors later immigrated to USA.
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
  • I was born in Lochwinnoch, Scotland in 1944. My maiden name was Jean Park.My middle name is Murray which was my mother's maiden name. My father was Joseph Park. His father was Andrew Park. I wonder if we are all related?.
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Samuel Park Jr and Jean Harvey Park

  1. 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Samuel Park Jr. (1828 – 1898) & Jean (Jane) Harvey (1831 – 1920) Written by daughter Ellen H. Park in 1939, Files of: Erma P. Gordon Anderson (Additions by Joe Anderson) Joe Anderson: A great great grandson ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Samuel Park Jr. Born: 14 Aug 1828 Newtonstewart, Tyron, Ireland Died: 28 May 1898 Tooele, Tooele, Utah Jean Harvey (sometimes referred to as Jane) Born: 14 Aug 1831 Kilburnie, Ayrshire, Scotland Died: 18 Jan 1920 Tooele, Utah, Utah Married: December 31, 1849 at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland Samuel’s brother, Hamilton Gray was baptized a member of the LDS Church on Nov. 1840. In about 1844 Hamilton Gray Park married Agnes Steele at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland. During 1850 he emigrated to SLC, Utah aboard the LDS charted ship “North Atlantic”. Samuel Jr., married Jean Harvey at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland on 31 Dec 1849. During 1850-51 Samuel, Jr became a member of the LDS Church being baptized in 1851. Later his wife (Jean); mother (Isabella) and other family members joined the church. In 1853 a son, Samuel, was born.. In late 1854 or early1855, with his wife and sick child, Samuel Jr. left home and started to Utah, the home of the LDS Church. They sailed on the "Charles Buck," Samuel’s sister, Mary Jean Park Draney was Baptized on 24 Mar 1852 During 1855-56 Samuel’s mother, Isabella Gray Park, with his sister and her family (husband, John Draney plus two children, Samuel and Isabella) made the decision to emigrate to Salt Lake City, Utah. They Departed: Liverpool, England; Aboard ship “Enoch Train” 23 March 1856.
  2. 2. Samuel Park Jr. Born: 14 Aug 1828 Newtonstewart, Tyron, Ireland Died: 28 May 1898 Tooele, Tooele Co., Utah Samuel Park Jr. Born: 14 Aug 1828 at Newtonstewart Tyron, Ireland Newtownstewart is a village in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is overlooked by hills called Bessy Bell and Mary Gray and is at the confluence of the River Strule and the Owenkillew River. It lies within the Strabane District Council area. History of Samuel Park Jr. and Jean Harvey Park Written by daughter Ellen H. Park in 1939 (additions by J.E. Anderson 2007) Samuel Park, Jr. son of Samuel Park (Sr) and Isabella Gray, was born August 14, 1828, at Newtownstewart, County of Tyrone, Ireland. He had blue eyes, dark brown hair, about five feet eight inches in height, and weighed about one hundred and fifty pounds. He was the fifth child in a family of six children. His father died (1833) before he was five years old and he was brought to Kilbirnie, Scotland, by his widowed mother when still a very small child. There he made his home till young manhood. He was a coal miner for some years. He was employed as a rock hauler for the Salt Lake Temple.
  3. 3. Kilbirnie is a small town situated in North Ayrshire on the West Coast of Scotland. Historically the town built up around the flax and weaving industries. Kilbirnie derived its name from the parish church and the church obtained its name from the saint to whom it was dedicated; the celtic Cil, pronounced Kil, signifying a church, being prefixed to the name of the saint; St Birinie, or Birinus, is said to have been a bishop and confessor who converted the West Saxons and died at Dorchester in 650 AD and was commemorated on the 3rd of December. In the vicinity of the church of Kilbirnie, a village has arisen during late times. In 1740, there were only three houses; but, by means of manufactures, it grew to be a village of 80 houses which were inhabited by about 300 people in 1791. In 1821, the village of Kilbirnie contained about 800 people and in 1871: 3,313 people. What with manufactures, and the recent impulse given to the locality by the Ayr and Glasgow railway, and the vicinity of numerous ironworks. Since Kilbirnie was not a large town before the 1840s, there is not much written history except for the farms in the area. Jean Harvey Jean Harvey Park, daughter of David Harvey and Margaret Law, was born August 25, 1831, at Kilbirnie, Aryshire, Scotland. As a girl, she worked in the factory weaving linen. She had light blue eyes and auburn hair, about five feet three inches in height and weighed about one hundred and thirty pounds. She was the youngest of ten children, and when very young, she was led by her Father to hear the Latter- Day Saint Elders preach the gospel. Samuel Park Jr. and Jean Harvey were married on December 31, 1849 at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland Samuel Park Jr. became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and was baptized in 1851 Their first child, Isabella, was born 17 Jul 1851 Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland. Unfortunately the child died 6 Jan 1852. As was the custom in those times, the baby was buried in her grandfather's grave and at his death (24 Dec 1866) she was lifted and placed on his casket. Jean Harvey Park joined the Church, was baptized in 1852. For this she was turned from her home by her mother and one brother. Her mother was very proud and felt the disgrace keenly. On 3 Jan 1853 a son (Samuel) was born. In 1855, when the word came that they could take passage for Zion, as it was called, there was no time for good-bye, so she (Jean) left notes on the best pieces of furniture, giving it to her mother. Closing the door and leaving all that was near and dear to her, she and her husband and small son left Kilbirnie and started for the new home in the Rocky Mountains.
  4. 4. Her Father believed in the gospel and wanted her to go with the Saints but said, "Do not go for a little while, then I won't see you go." They made their way from Scotland to Liverpool, England. They were originally scheduled to sail aboard the ship “Helios”. However Helios slipped anchor during a storm and was beached and damaged. The passengers were transferred to the “Charles Buck”. Unfortunately, a large quantity of the provisions for Helios passengers never made it to, were not transferred to, the “Charles Buck”. Charles Buck (17 Jan 1855 - 14 Mar 1855) From there they sailed on 17 January 1855, aboard the "Charles Buck," a sailing vessel bound for America. Charles Buck Passenger list: PARK, Samuel <1831> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 24 Origin: Kilbirnie Occ: Miner Note: BMR, p. 107 Great Salt Lake Valley PARK, Jean <1833> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 22 Origin: Kilbirnie PARK, Samuel <1853> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 2 Origin: Kilbirnie Note:Age:"1 1/2 years" (BMR) Vessel Rig Registry Tons Master No. LDS Pass. Depart. Port Depart. Date Arrival Port Arrival Date Passage Days Comp. Leader Charles Buck Ship U.S. 1424 W. Smalley 403 Liv. 1-17-55 N.O. 3-14-55 56 R. Ballantyne LDS Emigration - Park, Samuel, 1855, Perpetual Emigration Fund (Book)-Microfilm 25686 17 Jan 1855 Departed Liverpool England, aboard ship “Charles Buck” 14 Mar 1855 Arrived New Orleans, Louisiana 16 Mar 1855 Departed New Orleans, Louisiana, on Miss. River aboard steamer Michigan 27- 29 Mar 1855 Arrived St. Louis, Missouri 27 Mar1855 In St Louis They buried their young son, Samuel, and join the Gill Greer Co on its way to SLC, Utah. 11 Sep 1855 Samuel & Jean Park arrived in Salt Lake City with Gill Greer Co. 3 Apr 1855 Depart St Louis – The other passengers from the “Charles Buck” depart St Louis in route to Atchinson near Mormon Grove and onward to Utah ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Excerpts from: “Mormon Migration” Ship: Charles Buck 17 Jan 1855 Port of Departure: Liverpool, England LDS Immigrants: 403, Church Leader: Richard Ballantyne 14 Mar 1855 Port of Arrival: New Orleans, Louisiana DEPART LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND ABOARD “CHARLE BUCK” 17 Jan 1855 Compilation of General Voyage Notes - Richard Ballantyne Notes: "EIGHTY-SECOND COMPANY. -- Charles Buck, 403 souls. On the seventeenth of January, the clipper ship Charles Buck, Captain Smalley, sailed from Liverpool, England, with four hundred and three souls on board. The following are the names of those appointed for each ward; […] Ward No. 4 David Hutchinson, president. Matthew King and William Irvin counselors. Samuel Park and John Todd, teachers. [Later Samuel Park and John Todd & their families travel together with Gill Greer Co]
  5. 5. January 17th I also observed that if any one felt disposed to grumble while on this voyage we would like him to volunteer his services and we would set him apart to that work. No one would volunteer. I then gave instructions concerning the cleanliness of the ship, and appointed the male members of each ward to take their turn in cleaning out all the filth in the morning, at 6 o'clock, before any of the families are up. Then as soon as the ship is cleaned the people shall be called upon to arise and dress themselves and immediately thereafter unite, under the direction of the president of each ward, in prayer, praise, and thanksgiving to the Lord. Then after morning devotion prepare breakfast and enter with cheerful hearts upon the duties of the day. Passengers socializing, singing, dancing. 1855 January 18th : In like manner, in the evening, I instructed the presidents of wards, with their counselors, to call the people of their wards together at 7 o'clock before retiring to rest that they may again call upon the Lord in a united capacity, and receive such instruction as may be necessary from time to time, doing all things, and exercising themselves in meetings in that way, that the Holy Spirit shall dictate. Council meeting January 20th Elder Ballantyne presided. The council discussed the following subjects; keeping guard by night, cleaning out the ship, arranging about the water closets, and the management of the cooking galley. It was unanimously voted that each ward take it in their turn to guard the hatchways by night, cleaning out the ship every morning and that the water closets on the left hand side of the ship be left for the use of the ladies and those on the right side for the gentlemen. The management of the cooking galley was found to be a very difficult subject to legislate about and as some of the brethren were getting rather warm on the subject. The emigrants, who sailed on the Charles Buck, were somewhat depressed in spirits, because of their long detention in Liverpool; and by living in unhealthy places as well as on scanty diet, their general health had become somewhat impaired. When they came on board seasickness also prostrated many […] and only three children died during the voyage. One of these was a boy, seven years old, who got entangled in the ropes of the ship and was thrown overboard and drowned. One birth also occurred on board. 1855 January 21st [between Spain and the Azores] It was then agreed that 8 men be appointed to stand successively at the galley doors, two at a time, to see that every person has their turn in cooking. That the teachers make it their special duty to watch over the sisters and see that they have no improper familiarity with the sailors. Samuel Park and John Todd, were the teachers. That the sisters have the use of the water closets on one side of the ship, and that the brethren, and the sailors, have the use of those on the other side. A meeting was appointed for the sisters the evening to know their determination in regard to keeping aloof from the sailors. […] The Spirit of the Lord was copiously poured out upon the sisters, and all present, and we had a heavenly time and an entire amalgamation of our feelings in one. I rejoiced greatly and felt to praise the Lord because of His good spirit and the unity that prevails. During the meeting I united in marriage two young couples. Previous to so doing I instructed them concerning what would be their duties as husbands and wives and of the sacred and endearing ties which they were about to form.
  6. 6. [NOTE: In Liverpool, England the Helios slipped anchor during a storm and was beached and damaged. The passengers were transferred to the “Charles Buck”] The English part of this company (this included Samuel Jr , Jean Harvey Park and their son Samuel) who had been shipped on board the Helios at Liverpool by President F. D. Richards, had been provided for on an unusually comfortable and liberal scale on that ship; but when finally reshipped on the Charles Buck, the excellent provisions furnished by President Richards were withheld from them [not transfer from the Helios to the Charles Buck], and in their stead some raw oatmeal, coarse biscuit and a little rice and flour were furnished; and even of these articles a sufficient quantity was not shipped, so that the passengers, after being out six weeks, were placed on short allowance of provisions. This morning a most distressing accident occurred. One of the sons of Brother Grimmett, [Grinnett] a boy seven years of age, fell overboard and perished in the sea. The ship was sailing so fast and the boats so difficult to launch, that nothing could be done in time to save him. He lay on his back on the surface of the waters for a few seconds, and then disappeared. His parents were greatly distressed. His father was in an agony of distress. I tried to comfort him and his wife, and though a most distressing providence, the Lord gives them grace to acknowledge His righteous hand and to reconcile their feelings to it. Autobiography of Charles Ramsden Bailey […] the captain came out in his tarr poling suit and called aloud all hands on deck and I tell you there was not much time for a black squall came up and it was awful wind and rain first mate said it was as bad a storm as he had ever seen and it lasted 6 days sea rolling mountains high and our little craft rolled about like a piece of wood and the crew was afraid we was doomed but I had no fear then for I was too young to realize the danger we was in but I should fear now as I can look back and wonder how in the world those ships ever made the trips but the Lord as ever watched his people in crossing the sea since the year 1837 for none has ever gone down either sailing or steam vessels but all has crossed safe up to the year 1905. Compilation of General Voyage Notes - Richard Ballantyne (continued) Monday and Tuesday, considerable seasickness as the weather has been boisterous, and the sea high for the last three days. The between decks have been very uncomfortable with the spillings of water and other [-] while the ship has been rolling. And on Wednesday 31st the day being fine and the sea calm, every trunk and box was removed, and the between decks was thoroughly cleaned by sweeping, scraping, and washing. The unwholesome vapor which, during the stormy weather, was fast accumulating has been removed by removing the wetness and filth by which it was occasioned. January 31, 1855 [Accident] Yesterday morning the daughter of Sister Hall, a girl of eleven years met with a severe accident, by which the forepart of her leg, below the knee, was and open to the bone about eight inches in length. A large piece of wood slid from one side of the deck and struck her leg, producing the fearful gash referred to. Fortunately the bone does not seem to have been injured. It was so badly laid open that the captain and I had to press the wound together and sew it up with a needle and thread. We also poured some liniment on it after bandaging it well, and further bandaged it with four pieces of thin wood to prevent her bending her leg and thereby injuring the wound. The little girl was very patient and the sewing of the wound did not seem to pain her much. It now seems to be doing well. Has not swollen much, neither does it pain her much since it was dressed. Have commenced making tents with which to cross the plains.
  7. 7. February 6. Tuesday. This morning the upper deck is crowded with a busy crowd of cheerful Saints all intent on sewing the tents according as they have been taught. It is truly pleasing to see so much happiness and contentment, combined with our active desire to do all that is required. Thursday 8. Yesterday, and today, there has been a busy scene on deck. The most of the sisters are seated in happy groups making the tents, while the children are playing happily and contented around. 1855 February 11th Death of Brother Hartley’s child] The corpse was sewed up in a blanket instead of being put in a coffin, and a quantity of sand wrapped up with it, towards the feet, to make it sink. Before depositing the body in the ocean the brethren, and sisters, assembled on deck, sung a hymn and offered up prayers, dedicating the body of the child to God to come forth in the morning of the first resurrection. Brothers Fletcher and Hutchison then carried the body of the child on a flat board to the bulwark of the ship and it slid down into the water, and immediately sank out of sight. February 19th : This morning abut 3 o'clock Sister Sutton gave birth to a boy. She, and the child are doing well. She was brought up to the hospital. This was about two weeks before their arrival in New Orleans. For several days many of the Saints had nothing to eat but oatmeal cakes or porridge, and for three days only two quarts of water was served out to each passenger. Notwithstanding these unpleasant circumstances, the emigrants manifested an unusual measure of cheerfulness and patience. Whatever sickness and debility they suffered was chiefly occasioned through the want of something nutritious and desirable to eat ARRIVAL AT NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA 14 Mar 1855 About the fourteenth of March, 1855, the Charles Buck arrived at New Orleans from which city the emigrants continued the journey up the Mississippi River on the sixteenth, on board the fine steamer Michigan. Through the exertions and preferred help of Elder McGaw, the church emigration agent at New Orleans, together with the liberal contributions of those Saints who had a few shillings to spare, the whole company was taken along. Had it not been for this, a number of the Saints would have stopped at New Orleans to earn means, wherewith to pay their passage to St. Louis or Cincinnati, later on.
  8. 8. By artist J. Bachman in 1851. The seafaring sailing ships are at the right of the picture, and just a few hundred yards along the riverbank are the riverboats, some of which are setting off upstream along the Mississippi.
  9. 9. DEPART NEW ORLEANS TO ST. LOUIS 16 MAR 1855 Depart New Orleans; 16 Mar 1855 It took us about 12 days to get to St. Louis as there was a heavy current. River was rising ice breaking up large trees coming down the river the Mississippi & Ohio and Missouri Rivers all rising made a large steam and a heavy current and the trees would get into the wheels and smash them. Then we would have to stop and repair and altogether made us about 3 days longer than we should have been. The fare from New Orleans to St. Louis was three dollars and a half for each adult passenger; children under fourteen and over one year, half price. The captain of the Michigan behaved very badly toward the Saints. As the boat left the wharf in New Orleans, John Eccleson fell overboard and was drowned. Four children died on the way to St. Louis. (This may have included Samuel Jr & Jean Park’s son Samuel) A Danish brother by the name of Nordberg fell overboard the morning before arriving at St. Louis and perished. ARRIVED ST LOUIS, 27-29 Mar 1855 We arrived at St. Louis on the 29th of March in the evening dark and we had to get off the boat and get our luggage on the wharf and fix the best we could for the night to sleep. Mother, two sisters and myself got our boxes and walled them around and spread a tent over and then we got inside and laid there till morning. The tent we had was made on sea coming along Mary Ann and Sarah after making or help to make 40 or 50 tents kept one so we made use of it as I mentioned. On the twenty-seventh of March the company arrived at St. Louis, from whence one hundred and ninety- one Saints reembarked on the third of April, in charge of Elder Richard Ballantyne, who was instructed to land at Atchison, and take charge of all P. [Perpetual] E. [Emigration] Fund passengers who would be shipped to that place. In consequence of the rivers being low, boats were scarce, and fares very high, and it was with considerable difficulty that the brethren at St. Louis succeeded in shipping the company to Atchison. The unprecedented rush of people to Kansas and Nebraska also materially increased the rate of fares and the difficulty of shipping to the upper county. (Samuel Park Jr and family left the travelers from the “Charles Buck” and joined the Gill Greer Co in St Louis) – part of Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company. Follow from Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel "Departure for the Plains," St. Louis Luminary, 26 May 1855, 106 DEPARTURE FOR THE PLAINS. On Monday evening, the 21st inst., about three hundred and fifty souls of Saints, left this city on board the Equinox bound for Atchison, in charge of Elder William Glover … Elder Seth M. Blair (with Gill Greer) has recently returned from Texas with a faithful band of brethren. He has been out on his mission about twelve months—has done a good work and is returning home to Zion with our approval and blessing, and has the satisfaction and honor of taking many of his sheaves with him. He had been engaged for several days purchasing goods for himself and company, and is now preparing join his brethren at Atchison, and will there make arrangements to lead them home to Zion.
  10. 10. "Atchison An Outfitting Point," St. Louis Luminary, 23 June 1855, 122. To give our readers an idea of the amount of business done in our city (Atchison, Kansas), we give the names of some of the principle shippers who are now outfitting here. … In addition to the large shipments of the traders named above, the entire Mormon emigration, which is of itself sufficient to build up a large town, starts from Atchison. We cannot give the exact number of wagons necessary to convey five thousand emigrants, with their goods and effects, so long a journey, but out readers can see that the number must be large. They have already landed at our wharf about a thousand tons of freight, and a much larger quantity is yet to arrive. This is the first season that shippers have been suited in an outfitting point. Here all advantages offered, (separate, in other places,) are combined. The best range in the world, with a great quantity of good water, a healthy City, with a good landing; large an commodious warehouses, and stores well filled with goods, adapted to the wants of the emigration. Shippers who have examined this place, endorse it as the best outfitting point for the California, Oregon and Salt Lake Emigrants, on the Missouri river. [Atchison, Kansas is near Mormon Grove where al large number of Mormon immigrants died during 1855 from a Cholera epidemic] (Continued) History of Samuel Park Jr. and Jean Harvey Park Written by their daughter Ellen H. Park in 1939 (continued) She (Jean Harvey Park) and her husband (Samuel Jr Park) were one on all things: sorrow and sacrifice. After a hard voyage of six weeks they reached St. Louis, MO. . (about) March 22, 1855 There their son died, and was buried with the Mormon dead While waiting in St. Louis, a company from Texas, under the leadership of Gil Greer (Gilbert Dunlap Greer), with a train of wagons loaded with merchandise, one thousand head of cattle and horses came by, on their way to Utah. They were in need of teamsters, so Father and John Todd decided to work their way across the plains independent of the Emigration Fund. They left St. Louis on March 27, 1855. The Greer Company moved to Mormon Grove, near Atchison, KS to meet up with the rest of the Company from Texas. As soon as they started on this journey they found it necessary to night watch the animals that they might come to no harm and it became Father's (Samuel Jr Park) duty to watch the stock every night. Before they had traveled far, the cholera broke out in camp [Cholera is a serious bacterial disease that often causes severe diarrhea. Cholera usually spreads through contaminated water. Left untreated, cholera can cause death in a matter of hours.] In order that Father could rest after his night watch, it fell to Mother's (Jean Harvey Park) lot to drive the four oxen team all the way across the plains to Salt Lake City. So tired did she become that, passing a little log cabin she said, "Oh, if only I had a home like that, how happy I should be."
  11. 11. She (Jean Harvey Park) was only a young girl when the cholera broke out and she nursed the sick and prepared the dead for burial. They would wash and put clean clothing on the dead and then they rolled them in a quilt and placed them in the ground. One night, thirty died and it was not possible to do more than just cover them in a trench. Some of the women told her she would die if she cared for the sick, but she (Jean Harvey Park) answered, "Well, then I died." Family Histories refer to the Gill Greer Company because that is who Samuel Park and John Todd meet in St. Louis. However, the “Official” Name of the Company is Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company (1855) PIONEER & OVERLAND TRAVEL Gilbert Dunlap Greer ABOVE LINK PROVIDES MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE GIL GREER COMPANY Also refer to as: Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company (1855) Dickson HamblinGreer , Autobiography and biographical sketches A portion of our company left Milam Co Texas March 5, 1855 with a company of 8 Families, Father N H Greer [..,] and 12 wagons one Buggy—105 head of cattle 75 or 80 horses & mules was bound for Salt Lake as new converts to Mormon Faith abt 35 soles all told–— [ … ] arrived at Atchison (Mormon Grove, KS) about 1 June 1855 a distance of about 12 or 1300 miles from starting place where we previously arranged to load 35 wagons with merchandise which were purchased at St. Louis by my Father N H Greer & in addition to our company added there was about 70 emigrants mostly English. N H Greer died of cholera and buried in Kansas. N.H. Greer is Gilbert Dunlap Greer’s father when we arrived in Salt Lake City, which a portion of us did about 10th Sept, but we had a hard time to reach the valley as we used to say. We laid away (buried) 35 out of the 105 about 1/3 Cholera struck our camp one days journey from Atchison & stayed until we reached the Platte, then had measles— They arrived in Salt Lake City September 11, 1855, travel stained but happy. Samuel Park Jr and Jean Harvey Park first made their home in Salt Lake City but later moved to Lehi, at the time of the Johnson's Army trouble. At this time Father was made one of the guards at Echo Canyon to watch the movement of the U.S. Soldiers and prevent them from entering the valley. After reaching Salt Lake she pioneered with her husband, ever at his side in all he undertook to do for the benefit and betterment of the community In August 1856 there was no food to get. The crop was not ready for harvesting and so she cooked weed greens for Father, but could not eat any herself After she had been without food a day she said to her husband, "Lay me on the floor and let me die." He laid her down and said, "Don't give up. I will go and see if there are any potatoes." She said, "I tried all over the patch yesterday and there was none." He said, "I will try again." The first hill he dug he found potatoes. He hurried home with them and she laid on the floor before the fire and cooked the potatoes.
  12. 12. Five days later she gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. At the present time of this writing (1939) they are both living, in their 84th year. (The twin girl, Mary Jean Park, married Foster Gordon, and they are Erma P. Gordon Anderson’s grandparents) Mother (Jean Harvey Park) always said that the Lord tried them to see if they were loyal to Him. One year after arriving in Utah, (Fall 1856) President Brigham Young issued an appeal to the brethren to provide aid to the Handcart Companies (Number 1 and 2) who were in the Wyoming territory and badly in need of supplies. Samuel was quick to respond because he knew that his aged Mother (Isabella Gray Park) and sister (Mary Jane Park Draney ) were in Handcart Company #2. The following paragraph describes his meeting up with the Handcart Company and what happened the first meeting with his Mother. At this time Father (Samuel Park Jr) was one of the men sent out to meet the Saints with food. Meeting the advance guards he was told to stop at the place chosen for the night camp. Knowing his Mother and sister's family were in the company, he walked on and met the train. His Mother had seen her son last as a fair-faced boy. When he tapped her on the shoulder, she looked up very indignant that this man with a long beard, brown from the sun, would speak to her. Someone said, "Is it your son Sister Park?" "No," she said, "I never reared a son like that." At which Father laughed and his sister cried, "Mother, it is Samuel." Ever after that they teased Grandma about her son, "Imagine not recognizing your own son." Soon (many of) the company with whom they crossed the plains (Gill Greer Co) became discouraged and went back to Texas. They offered Mother and Father a farm and all the slaves to work for them and they could be waited on for the rest of their lives, but they answered, "No! We came for the Gospel, and we will stay with the Church." Father (Samuel Park Jr and wife Jean) remained in Lehi sometime and leased a piece of land on which he planted wheat. When he had harvested it he had ten bushels of wheat. He carried one bushel to Bishop Evans and the Bishop said, "Promise me you will let me know if you get out of bread. Do not let your loved ones go hungry." Father said he would let him know if he needed it, but it seemed that the flour grew in the bin. When the next harvest came they still had a little flour left. While in Lehi, the bugle sounded one morning that meant an Indian uprising. All the men must hurry to the Square where lots were drawn. Father had a gun, but the man the lot fell upon didn't have one, so Father gave his gun to the man. He disobeyed orders and was killed and the gun was stolen by the Indians. Father was a pioneer in the full sense of the word. He helped build Weber, West Weber, and Plain City, Utah. Moving back to Salt Lake City and later to Skull Valley, Father became a very successful rancher and stock raiser. He was a friend of the Indians. He gave them food and helped them in any way that he could. He respected their rights and they in turn loved and respected him. His Indian friends were set to the table like honored guests. Father was loyal to his country, faithful and loyal to his church, and liberal with his money for the up-building of the church and state.
  13. 13. He worked in the building of the Salt Lake Temple, hauling granite blocks from the quarry. He made several trips to meet the emigrant companies with food and to assist them into the valley. INSERT Cache County Sheriff’s Office SHERIFF SAMUEL PARK 1859-60– Born: August 14, 1828 – Died: May 28, 1898, at age 69 Samuel Park immigrated to the United States having been born in Ireland. He was hired as a teamster in the East and drove a wagon to Utah arriving in Salt Lake City in September 1855. Park was employed as a rock hauler for the Salt Lake Temple. He was appointed Sheriff by Territorial Probate Judge Peter Maughan in May 1859 and had a ten- month tenure to March 1860. By this time five more towns had been settled in Cache County including Mendon, Providence, Richmond, Smithfield and Logan. Sheriff Park appointed the county’s first deputy sheriff, Martin Harris, Jr. of Smithfield CONTINUED Father's word was his bond. He never signed a note or gave a mortgage. In all his business dealings no man asked more than his word. He moved to Skull Valley in about 1872 where he remained twenty five (25) years. Then moving to Tooele (about 1897) where he remained until his death, May 28, 1898. Samuel Park Jr, the father of six sons and six daughters. He was mourned by his loving wife and children. His burial was in the Tooele City Cemetery. Jean Harvey Park Mother was one of the Relief Society of Weber that decided to buy the knitting machine and pledged to give the Sunday eggs and turn them into the fund. (In our case) it was strange that there were few eggs on Saturday night, but a large number on Sunday. It was later discovered that the young twin boy (David Harvey) would slip out as many eggs on Saturday as he dared, and then would put them back in the nest Sunday so his Mother would have a large number of eggs to give for the knitting machine. She was the mother of six sons and six daughters, raising eight to man and womanhood. She assisted at the birth of more than one hundred babies. Many years passed before she sent a letter to Scotland, addressed to David Harvey. She had one brother, William, and his wife, Margaret, who always thought their baby sister could do nothing wrong and joining the church made no difference to them so the letter fell into the hands of their son, David, who in turn gave it to his Father. In answer they wrote that at the death of the older brother, John, his money, by law, was divided with his brothers and sisters. Mother's portion was placed in a bank in her name. As was the law, the oldest son took their Father's estate from his mother and he and his wife put Grandmother in a little old building and sold all the property and left Kilbirnie. This left Grandmother without money for living expenses, so Mother's brother, William, went to the bank and signed for money to help Grandmother and pay all funeral expenses so she could be buried like the rest of her family had been.
  14. 14. When William received the letter, he wrote and told Mother what he had done and that there was still twenty pounds in the bank for her. And soon as she received this word, Mother wrote to William and told him that as her Mother had been made comfortable and buried as became her estate in life, that was all she desired and wished him to draw the remaining twenty pound out of the bank and use it in making his wife and himself comfortable in their old age. Samuel Park Jr. died May 28, 1898 at Tooele, Tooele Co., Utah He was buried in the Tooele Cemetery 1 Jun 1898 Jean Harvey Park died January 18, 1920 at Tooele .Tooele Co., Utah She was buried in the Tooele Cemetery January 24, 1920. Samuel Park and Jean Harvey Park children are: NAME BIRTH DATE , PLACE DEATH/BURIAL, PLACE Isabella /Park/ 17 Jul 1851, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland - 6 Jan 1852, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland Samuel /Park/ 3 Jun 1853, Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland 13 Apr 1855, St Louis, Missouri David Harvey /Park/ 26 Aug 1856, Lehi, Utah, Utah 18 Sep 1940, Annis, Jefferson, Idaho Mary Jean /Park/ 26 Aug 1856, Lehi, Utah, Utah 25 Jun 1940, Tooele, Tooele, Utah Sir Agnes /Park/ 26 May 1858, Plain City, Weber, Utah1 5 Dec 1862, Hamilton Gray /Park/ 15 Sep 1860, Plain City, Weber, Utah 14 Sep 1861, Plain City, Weber, Utah John William /Park/ 4 Jul 1862, Plain City, Weber, Utah 11 Jan 1914, Tooele, Tooele, Utah Margaret Ann /Park/ 9 Aug 1863, Plain City, Weber, Utah 15 Dec 1954, Tooele, Tooele, Utah George Albert /Park/ 25 Sep 1866, West Weber, Weber, Utah 22 Jun 1945 Jeant Alexandria /Park/ 25 Dec 1868, West Weber, Weber, Utah 23 Dec 1956, Tooele, Tooele, Utah Joseph Robert /Park/ 12 Oct 1871, Salt Lake City, SL Co., Utah 13 Feb 1952, Tooele, Tooele, Utah Ellen Hannah /Park/ 18 Jan 1874, St John, Tooele, Utah 20 Dec 1967, Tooele, Tooele, Utah
  15. 15. "Another …” Utah Digital Newspapers "The Tooele Transcript”, 23 Jan. 1920, pg 1. Utah Digital Newspapers Website The Tooele Transcript, 23 Jan. 1920 ANOTHER WORTHY PIONEER PASSES AWAY MRS. JEAN HARVEY PARK PIONEER OF 1855 DIES AT HER HOME ON EAST STREET SUNDAY FUNERAL SERVICES HELD THURSDAYY Mrs. Jean Harvey Park one of our worthy pioneers died last Sunday night January 18, 1920 at her home on east street at the age of 88 years. Two weeks prior to her death she had suffered a fall and this along with other complications was the cause of her death. Mrs. Park was born at Kilburnie Scotland August 25 1831 She was married to Samuel Park in their native land in 1849 She became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1851, her husband having joined the Church a short time before. They immigrated to Utah in the year of 1855 arriving in Salt Lake City in the fall. An independent ox team Company, headed by Capt Green [Greer] was the company in which Mrs. Park and her husband crossed the plains. After living in Salt Lake City a short time they moved to Utah county thence to Weber county and coming to Tooele County in the year 1872 They finally settled in Tooele City thirty four years ago. Samuel Park died 21 years ago in this City. Mrs. Park was the mother of 12 children five of whom preceded her to the great beyond, and seven living namely, David Park of Lorenzo, Idaho; Mrs. Mary J. Gordon of Salt Lake City, Utah; Mrs. John K Orme of Sugar City, Idaho; Mrs. Margaret Caldwell, George Park, Joseph Park and Ellen Park all Of Tooele, Utah. She also leaves 52 grandchildren and 87 great grandchildren. Funeral services over the remains of Mrs. Park were held in the North Ward church Thursday afternoon at 2 o’clock. Many friends and relatives gathered to pay respect to the departed. Bishop Alfred L. Hanks conducted the services. The choir rendered as the opening selection “Resting Now From Care and Sorrow”. Elder John A. Bevan offered the opening prayer. A quartet, consisting of Mr and Mrs Leo Isgreen, M. H. Ostler and Rebecca Atkin Rendered, “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” as the second Selection. The speakers were Elders Matthew Speira, and Moroni England, and Pres. G.C Alvin Orme. Each speaker eulogized the life of the deceased. Between the speakers S W Leo and Mrs. H.H. Johnston rendered the solos, “Face to Face”. and “If Not, I Would Have Told You So” respectively. The choir rendered as the closing selection “Till We Meet Again”. The benediction was by Elder John W. Tate. The interment was at the Tooele Cemetery. Bishop E. M. Atkin of the South Ward dedicated the grave The Tooele Transcript, 23 Jan. 1920
  16. 16. Daughter: Ellen H. Park is the primary author of this biography, 1939 Roster of the “Charles Buck” 1855 PARK, Samuel <1831> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 24 Origin: Kilbirnie Occ: Miner Note: BMR, p.107 Great Salt Lake Valley PARK, Jean <1833> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 22 Origin: Kilbirnie PARK, Samuel <1853> Charles Buck 1855 Age: 2 Origin: Kilbirnie Note:Age:"1 1/2 years" (BMR) --------------------------------------------------------- Park, Samuel, 1855, Charles Buck, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 200181 25690 Park, Jean, 1855, Charles Buck, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 200181 25690 Park, Samuel, 1855, Perpetual Emigration Fund (Book)-Microfilm 25686 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 1870 Samuel Park, "United States Census" name: Samuel Park estimated birth year: 1827 gender: Male age in 1870: 43y color : White birthplace: Ireland home in 1870: Utah, United States Household Gender Age Birthplace Samuel Park M 43y Ireland Jane Park F 37y Scotland David Park M 14y Utah Mary Park F 14y Utah John Park M 8y Utah Margaret Park F 7y Utah George Park M 4y Utah Jannette Park F 2y Utah 1880 United States Census Name Rela tion Marital Status Gender Ra ce Age Birthplac e Occupation Father's Birthplac e Mother's Birthplace Samuel PARK Self M Male W 51 1829 IRE Laborer IRE IRE Sarah PARK Wife M Female W 48 1832 SCO Keeping House SCO SCO John W. PARK Son Male W 18 1862 UT Working On Farm IRE SCO Margret PARK Dau Female W 16 1864 UT Working On Farm IRE SCO George A. PARK Son Male W 14 1866 UT Working On Farm IRE SCO Gennett PARK Dau S Female W 12 1868 UT Working At Home IRE SCO Joseph R. PARK Son S Male W 9 1871 UT IRE SCO Ellen H. PARK Dau S Female W 6 1874 UT IRE SCO Source Information: Census Place Clover, Tooele, Utah Family History Library Film 1255338 NA Film Number T9-1338 Sarah = Jean Harvey Park & Gennett Park = Janet Alexandria Park -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  17. 17. 1900 Jean Park, "United States Census" name: Jean Park event place: ED 149 Tooele Precinct Tooele city, Tooele, Utah, United States birth date: Aug 1831 birthplace: Scotland relationship to head of household: Head father's birthplace: Scotland mother's birthplace: Scotland race or color (standardized): White gender: Female marital status: Widowed years married: 50 estimated marriage year: 1850 mother how many children: 12 number living children: 8 immigration year: 1855 Household Gender Age Birthplace Head Jean Park F 69 Scotland Daughter Ellen H Park F 26 Utah ---------------------------------------------------------------- Your tombstone stands among the rest neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled so many years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you.
  18. 18. Find A Grave Samuel Park Birth: Aug. 14, 1828 Newtwonstewart,Tyrone, Ireland Death: May 28, 1898 Tooele, Tooele County, Utah, USA Son of Samuel Park and Isabella Gray Married Jean Harvey, 31 Dec 1849, Kilburnie, Ayr, Scotland
  19. 19. Jean Harvey Park Birth: Aug. 25, 1831, Ayr, Scotland Death: Jan. 18, 1920 , Tooele, Tooele County, Utah, USA Daughter of David Harvey and Margaret Law Children: Ellen Hannah Park, Joseph Robert Park, Sir Agnes Park, Samuel Park, John William Park, Isabella Park, Margaret Ann Park, Mary Jean Park, David Harvey Park, Hamilton Gray Park, George Albert Park, Jeannet Alexandria Park
  20. 20. =============================================================================================
  21. 21. SUMMARY Captain Gilbert Dunlap Greer (Check the above link for a more detailed account) Gilbert Dunlap Greer Gilbert Dunlap Greer, the eldest child of Nathaniel Hunt Greer and Nancy Ann Terry Roberts, was born October 11, 1822, in Bedford County, Tennessee Gilbert was 14 when the family sailed to Texas and only 17 when the new republic granted him a headright of 320 acres, on December 5, 1839 Although the Greer clan had moved to Texas after its independence was won in 1836, conflict with Mexico continued frequently for several years. On June 18, 1843, Gilbert married Susan G. Corathers (no photo exists) in Austin County, Texas. She was born in 1824, the daughter of George Corathers and Susanah Durham who hailed from Jones County, Georgia. record is silent. By 1850 settlements had pushed much further up the Brazos River. Gilbert, Susan and their children accompanied this advancing frontier and in about 1851 set up residence in lower Milam County at "Sullivan's Bluffs" near where the Little River joined the Brazos. On October 13, 1853, Gilbert married Marion Bonita Lane the eldest daughter of James Addison Lane. The little evidence we have suggests that Marion was a what Mormons called a "plural wife," but we cannot be sure. 1855 on the ill-fated journey to Utah, many died of cholera. "Gilbert's first wife, Sue, and most of his children died" of cholera. The roster lists Susan Greer as dying on June 20, 1855, placing the wagon train in what would later become Brown County, Kansas. On August 10 the wagons stopped while Gilbert's second wife Marion delivered their first-born whom they named Margaret. They arrived in Salt Lake City September 11, 1855. Although little Margaret lived long enough to reach Salt Lake City, she died there a few weeks later on October 28. The following winter was a terrible one and the Greer’s lost most of their herd. Next spring, over Brigham Young's objections, Gilbert and most of his kin returned to the milder climate of Texas with what remained of their livestock. Refer to Pioneer History Samuel Park Jr. & Jean Harvey
  22. 22. Gilbert Dunlap Greer was married on 18 Jun 1843, in Austin Co, TX, to a first wife ... Susan G. Corathers — b 1824, site unknown — d 20 Jun 1855, Brown Co, KS. Gilbert Dunlap Greer was married on 13 Oct 1853 in Washington Co, TX, to a second wife ... Marion Bonita Lane — b 6 Sep 1838, Jasper Co, GA — d 15 Apr 1916, Bosque Co, TX. Return to the list of children of Nathaniel Hunt Greer Return to the main page tm "Greer Park" — The Pioneer Home of Gilbert Dunlap Greer Gilbert Dunlap Greer296,297,297 , born 29 Oct, 1792 in Hancock Co, GA; died 23 Mar, 1852 in Cowetta Co, GA; married (1) Sarah Ann Lewis; married (2) Martha Moore 23 Oct, 1814. More About Gilbert Dunlap Greer: Fact 1: 1814, Served as Captain of Militia in Jasper Co, GA Fact 2: 1836, Served as Captain of Cavalry in Coweta Co, GA FIND A GRAVE Burial: Oak Hill Cemetery Newnan, Coweta County, Georgia, USA Plot: Section 30. PIONEER & OVERLAND TRAVEL Gilbert Dunlap Greer ABOVE LINK PROVIDES MORE DETAILS ABOUT THE GIL GREER COMPANY Officially referred to as: Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson Company (1855) Blair became ill and was succeeded by Edward Stevenson.