Isabella Gray Park and Samuel Park Sr


Published on

Isabella Gray Park (1793 -1879)

Published in: Spiritual
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Isabella Gray Park and Samuel Park Sr

  1. 1. PIONEER HISTORY OF Samuel Park Sr. (1795 – 1833) & Isabella Gray (1793 -1879) Files of: Erma P. Gordon Anderson (additions by Joe Anderson) Joe Anderson: A great great grandson Samuel Park Sr., Born: 15 Oct 1795 Newtownstewart, Tyron, Ireland Died: Apr. 1833 Newtownstewart, Tyron, Ireland Isabella Gray Park Born: 1 Oct 1793 Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Ireland Died: 20 Dec 1879 Skull Valley, Tooele Co., Utah Buried: City Cemetery, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake Co., Utah Married: about 1820 at Newtownstewart or Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland Children: Newtownstewart to Douglas Bridge about 3 Miles apart 1- William Born: 1821 Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland 2- John Born: 1821 Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland 3- Hamilton Gray Born: 25 Nov 1826 Newtownstewart, Tyron, Ireland 4- Mary Jane Born: 17 Sep 1827 Newtownstewart, Tyron, Ireland 5- Samuel Jr. Born: 14 Aug 1828 Newtownstewart, Tyron, Ireland 6- George Born: 1832 Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland The above images are from Google Earth in 2011. As can be seen the towns of Newtownstewart and Douglas Bridge are, even today, small villages in a predominantly agricultural region.
  2. 2. Newton Stewart (or Newton-Stewart), Tyrone, Ireland. This spelling, and others, appears in several genealogical listings. The correct spelling is Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Ireland. I suspect when folks from the “Old County” pronounce the name they say “NewtonStewart” Newtownstewart geographical coordinates are 54° 43' 0" North, 7° 24' 0" West Newtownstewart is a village in County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. It is overlooked by hills called Bessy Bell and Mary Gray and is at the confluence of the River Strule and the Owenkillew River. It lies within the Strabane District Council area. King James II spent the night here in 1689 on his way back from the unsuccessful assault on Derry (Londonderry). He got up next morning in a bad mood and ordered the Stewart castle, and the town, to be burnt down. In the main street a piece of the castle wall still stands. Half a mile south-west of Newtownstewart, on a hill, is ruined Harry Avery's Castle, a 14th century Gaelic stone castle - most unusual in Ulster. Only the massive D-shaped twin towers of the keep, built by Henry Aimbreidh O' Neil (Harry Avery O'Neil - died 1392), are left.
  3. 3.'s_Castle Harry Avery's Castle, County Tyrone A curiously enigmatic castle named after and possibly built by Henry Aimbreidh O'Neill, a Gaelic chief celebrated by the Four Masters for his justice, nobility and hospitality who died in 1392. The castle commands wide views over the Mourne Valley and is unusual in being a stone-built stronghold located deep in the heart of pre-Plantation Ulster. It consists of a two-storey rectangular block fronted by a pair of massive D-shaped towers - resembling a gatehouse - projecting from the south face of an artificially scarped knoll, whose sides have been revetted by a wall to form a polygonal enclosure, now ruined to a low level with traces of a latrine tower on the north side. Excavations in 1950 and 1962 confirmed that the keep-like structure functioned more as a tower house than as a true gatehouse, though the only access into the enclosure behind seems to have been up a narrow mural stair and through the hall at first-floor level. The entrance has a draw-bar slot, while other features include vaults with traces of wickercentering and latrine shafts in one of the towers. The castle was captured by the English in 1609. Subsequently, it was used as a quarry for building material. Located three-quarters of a mile SW of Newtownstewart in a field off the Rakelly road. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  4. 4. Samuel Park Sr and Isabella Gray were Married: about 1820 at Newtownstewart or Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland. They probably lived somewhere between these two towns Samuel Park Sr. worked as a Webster of Pure Irish Linen. “Webster-Operator of looms; weaver”. Samuel Park, Sr., died April 1833 at Newtownstewart, Tyrone, Ireland – The record is not clear whether he died in Ireland or Scotland. During 1832 or 1833 the family moved to Kilburnie, Ayrshire, Scotland In 1821, the village of Kilbirnie contained about 800 people and in 1871: 3,313 people. Park’s lived here from 1833 to 1855-56. At the beginning of this century it was only a small, quaint village; and its importance has been attained chiefly by enterprise in various branches of manufacture, and in mining. The principal manufactures are winceys, (Wincey: noun, a plain or twilled fabric of wool and cotton used especially for warm shirts or skirts and pajamas) ginghams, woolen shirting’s, flannels, linen thread, linen yarn, ropes, and fishing nets; and there are engineering and iron founding works. Since Kilbirnie was not a large town before the 1840s, there is not much written history except for the farms in the area. Kilbirnie, Ayr, Scotland,_Ayr,_Scotland
  5. 5. On Nov1840 Isabella’s son, Hamilton Gray Park was baptized a member of the LDS Church. In about 1844 Hamilton Gray Park married Agness Steele at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland. During 1850 he and his family immigrated from Scotland to SLC, Utah aboard the LDS chartered ship “North Atlantic”. Park, Hamilton G, 1850, NA, North Atlantic, Ship roster on microfilm(s) 200165 25690 Vessel Rig Registry Tons Master No. LDS Pass. Depart. Port Depart. Date Arrival Port Arrival Date Passage Days Comp. Leader North Atlantic Ship U.S. 799 H. Cook 357 Liv. 9-4-50 N.O. 11-1-50 58 D. Sudworth The family made their way to from New Orleans to Kanesville, Iowa and joined the Joseph Outhouse Company. They spent approx 1½ years in St Louis or Iowa before proceeding. They arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah on 6 Sept. 1852. Departure Post Departure Date Company Captain - Company Name or No. Number of People Wagons Arrival Date Roster Kanesville, Iowa About 10- Jun-1852 Joseph Outhouse 230 50 6-Sep- 1852 J.H. Supp. after 31 Dec 1852, p. 19-24*; D.N. Vol 2, p. 90 Isabella’s son, Samuel Jr., married Jean Harvey at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland on 31 Dec 1849 During 1850-51 Samuel, Jr became a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints being baptized in 1851. Later his wife (Jean); mother (Isabella) and other family members joined the church and, over several years, responded to the call from Brigham to "Come to Zion." In 1853 a grandson (Samuel) was born to Samuel, Jr. and his wife Jean. In late 1854 or early 1855, with his wife and sick child, Samuel Jr. left home and friends in Scotland and started to Utah. They sailed on the "Charles Buck," a sailing vessel bound for America. (departed Liverpool, England 17 Jan 1855 and arrived in New Orleans, Louisiana 14 Mar 1855) After a hard voyage of six weeks they ultimately reached St. Louis, Missouri. There their son (young Samuel) died, and was buried with the Mormon dead. Samuel and wife, Jean, joined the Gill Greer Company. They left St. Louis on March 27, 1855, and arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah September 11, 1855, travel stained but happy. Daughter, Mary Jane Park Draney was Baptized on 24 Mar 1852 During 1855-56 Isabella Gray Park and her daughter and family (husband, John Draney plus two children, Samuel and Isabella) made the decision “Come to Zion” and to emigrate to Salt Lake City, Utah. [Draney also spelled Dreamy, Dreaney, Dreney in various records] They made their way to Liverpool, England. There, along with 500+ LDS Church members, they boarded the ship “Enoch Train” and began their journey to Utah. This group became part of the 1st & 2nd Handcart Company’s LDS Immigration 23 March 1856, DEPARTED: Liverpool, England; Aboard ship “Enoch Train”. 30 April 1856 ARRIVED: Boston, Massachusetts 2 May 1856 DEPART: Boston, Massachusetts; via train mid May ARRIVE: Iowa City, Iowa 11 June, 1856 DEPART: Iowa City, Iowa, with 2nd Handcart Company 26 September 1856 ARRIVE: Salt Lake City, Utah Come, Come, Ye Saints - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  6. 6. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Son: William Park – Emigration: about 1857-58 based on place and date of children’s birth. Isabella’s son, William married Margaret Allen 5 Dec. 1845 at Kilbirnie, Ayrshire, Scotland. He and his family emigrated to U.S.A. aboard the ship “Constitution” which arrived at Castle Garden 18 Sept 1857. They staying in Maryland for a few years then moving on to Illinois. At a later date the family moved on to Utah. William Park died 1863 at Salt Lake City, Utah Son George is show have been born 1832 Douglas Bridge, Tyrone, Ireland and to “probably” died at Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah. However details are not known. Isabella Gray Park lived with her children in Utah. Her son, Samuel Park Jr. lived in and around Tooele, Utah. Her son Hamilton lived in Salt Lake City, Utah Her daughter, Mary Jane Park Draney, and family lived in Plain City, Weber Co., Utah (1870 U.S. Census) Isabella Gray Park Died: 21 Dec 1879 at the home of her son, Samuel, at Skull Valley, Tooele Co, Utah. ================================================================ The balance of this account includes a summary of the “Enoch Train” voyage and the 2nd Handcart Co. These are abbreviated accounts. Other accounts of the 2nd Handcart Co. are included in the History files of Margaret Jessie Jackson Meikle Passengers aboard Enoch Train and members of 2nd Handcart Company Include: Name Birth Date Age PARK, Isabella <1794> 62 (Family Search shows birth: 1 Oct 1793) Isabella Park’s daughter (Mary Jane Park Dreaney and family) DRANEY, John <1825> 31 DRANEY, Mary Jane <1828> 28 (Isabella Gray Park’s daughter) DRANEY, Samuel <1854> 2 1/2 DRANEY, Isabella <1856> 4 mo. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Also aboard the “Enoch Train” and with the 2nd Handcart Co. were ancestors: MEIKLE, Margaret <1799>, MEIKLE, William <1826> MEIKLE, Isabella, <1837> MEIKLE, James <1839> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Also aboard the “Enoch Train” and with the 2nd Handcart Co was Corrine. Baldwin’s. ancestors. Corrine. Baldwin is Duane Baldwin’s wife. (Refer to Hazel Gordon Baldwin, Erma Gordon Anderson’s sister) Corrine Baldwin is a descendant of: ELIKER, Barbara <1832> Age 24 ELIKER, Heinrich <1797>, ELIKER, Margaratha <1802>, ELIKER, Margaratha <1808>, ELIKER, Heinrich, Jr <1830>, ELIKER, Barbara <1832> EELIKER, Elizabeth <1832>, ELIKER, Konard <1836>, ELIKER, Susanna <1842>, ELIKER, Johannes <1842> An account from the Second Handcart Company. “John and Nancy McCleve, natives of Ireland, took their seven children across the plains with this caravan. Sharing the tent with them was a German family, none of whom could speak English. It comprised Mr. and Mrs. Elliker and their seven children. Mr. Elliker and three children died on the journey. John McCleve was buried two days before the party reached Salt Lake City.”
  7. 7. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- “ENOCH TRAIN” Source - The Cork Examiner, 28 March 1856 - THE MORMON EXODUS.--On Wednesday last an extraordinary scene was witnessed at the New-street railway station, Birmingham. A fine ship, the Enoch Trail, having been chartered to convey a cargo of Mormons to the United States, en route to their settlement in Utah territory, three hundred men and women, boys and girls, formed the contingent supplied by the Birmingham district. They left by the half- past ten train. All seemed to belong to the working classes, and the proportion of the sexes was about equal. Many hundreds of their relatives and fellow-saints assembled at the station to bid them fairwell; and in spite of the efforts of the instrumental bands to cheer the spirits of the females, some very affecting scenes were witnessed. They sail to-day from Liverpool. There will be some 900 on board. --Birmingham Journal. SHIP NEWS--QUEENSTOWN. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- FROM LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND TO BOSTON, MASS., USA The ship Enoch Train, Captain Henry P. Rich, cleared on Saturday the 23 March 1856, hence for Boston, with 534 souls of the Saints on board, all under the presidency of Elder James Ferguson, Edmund Ellsworth, and Daniel D. McArthur (McArthur also the leader of 2nd Handcart Co). The company included the first emigrants for Utah by the P. [Perpetual] E. [Emigration] F. [Fund] in 1856 -- who were to cross the plains with 1st and 2nd Handcart Co.’s. There were four hundred and thirty-one (431) of these [PEF] emigrants, and one hundred and three (103) called 'ordinary' passengers. There were 4 births and 2 deaths during the voyage. A SAMPLING OF DIARY ENTRIES 21 Mar 1856 while the ship was lying at anchor at Liverpool, Friday night, March 21, Mary Ann, wife of Elder Thomas Lyon, was delivered of a daughter, who was named Christina Enoch. Ships Routine 23 Mar 1856 At 6 o’clock, a.m., the horn was blown for the Saints to rise, the decks were then cleaned, and at half-past seven prayers were attended to. About eight o’clock we weighed anchor; wind North Northeast, and the weather fair. The ship was towed down the river by the steamtug “Independence.” At half-past nine o’clock, all the company were mustered, to see if there were any stowaways found none.
  8. 8. 23 March 1856, DEPARTED: Liverpool, England; Aboard ship “Enoch Train”. 23rd Mar 1856 As the gov’t. inspectors leave the ship. They gave us three cheers and we all returned it and the band played a lively air. At 8 o’clock the guard was posted. ½ past 8, prayers were attended to. All went to rest. A fresh breeze filled our sails and we glided merrily. 27 Mar 1856. Nearly all the sick were on deck, chatting, singing, and running about. We had a splendid run for a few days, and expected to be in Boston in four weeks, but it was ordered otherwise by a kind Providence. The captain steered south to escape the ice. 31 Mar 1856 The horn sounded at 5 o’clock. Decks were cleaned as usual. Prayers at 8. Ship nearly becalmed. I drew out a list to serve provisions by [-] 2 o’clock. Attended meeting on deck. Had a very good meeting. Towards night the wind blew pretty fresh. Ship about three points off her course. Posted the guard at ½ past 7. Prayers at ½ past 8. During the night, Sister Esther, wife of John Devereux, of the Herefordshire Conference, died of consumption of the lungs. 1 April 1856 Rough day. Ship rolled and boxes rattled. Bottles upset. Bedsteads broke down and cooking did not please all for the sauce pans upset in the jelly. Some scolded and some fell and hurt themselves. A thing to try the patience of some. Went to bed. Ship rocked and rolled about. Did not sleep well, 2 Apr 1856 The horn was sounded at 5 o’clock. At 6 the body of our sister was committed to the deep. Water was served to the company. Prayers at 8. Wind southwest. Rough, cloudy, raining. Continued so all day. Posted the guard at 7 ½ p.m. Attended prayers at ½ past 8. 3 April 1856 The horn was sounded as usual. Prayers at ½ past 7. Water served to the company. Ship about one point off her course. Wind light. Weather fair. All the Saints on deck. The company were all on deck. Several songs were sung. Towards evening we had a little dancing, while the band played several lively airs. The Saints by this time began to enjoy their food. Posted the guard at ½ past 7 o’clock. Prayers at 8 ½. Funny things to amuse us children happened every day. Once we watched two old men set their table and lay our their lunch, in careful, painstaking fashion. They asked the blessing on the food. Just then a large wave came up and threw the dishes right and left. Everybody laughed, even the two old men. They had to scramble under the benches and in the far corners to pick up their cups and saucers. After two weeks at sea, a terrible storm came and drove them back until they could see the spires of the buildings in Liverpool. Jane Clotworthy, aged two years, died of consumption of the bowels and was buried at sea. 17 April 1856, Mary, wife of James Sheen, was delivered of a son. 24 Apr 1856 We enjoyed ourselves first rate and a general good feeling prevailed. The first 8 or 9 days we had a good wind, after which we had to encounter head winds and squalls about 12 to 15 days,
  9. 9. consequently did not make much progress during the time of course. We had plenty of rolling about, upsetting of dishes in the galley and being difficult to stand. Sometimes some were sent sprawling across the deck or thrown down, which very near brought about broken legs but thank God no one was seriously injured and only turned out to merriment on the part of the Saints Towards noon many of the Saints were very sick, the wind was Southeast, blowing middling fresh, and the ship making five knots an hour. The general routine of cleaning, serving water, was attended to. At midnight the ship rolled heavily, and was going at the rate of eleven knots. When weather would permit we kept on deck as much as possible. All kinds of games were resorted to keep us in lively exercise during the day. The band frequently playing and the brethren & sisters collecting together, singing or dancing, made the time pass away agreeable, so that those who were sick got on deck as soon as they could to join in the sport 29 April 1856 The horn sounded and prayers attended to as usual. [ … ] who informed us we were [ … ] 12 miles from Boston. 4 o’clock, the pilot boat, “Jane of Boston,” came alongside and put a pilot on board of us. The band and all the company of Saints were on deck and gave three hearty cheers. The band played “Yankee Doodle.” Land in sight. Water served today as usual. Posted the guard at 7 ½ o’clock. At 9 ½ we cast anchor. 1 May 1856 at eight a.m., the ship arrived at Constitution Wharf, Boston, and at four o'clock p.m., the following day, the passengers disembarked the went by nine omnibuses to the railway station. They started by train at five p.m., for New York, where they arrived on the third of May. After a short stay in New York, where a few of the passengers remained temporarily, the company continued the journey by rail to Iowa City, where they arrived on the tenth of June. Model of the ship Enoch Train created by Kenneth R. Mays After 39 days, on Thursday, 1st of May 1856 at eight a.m., the ship arrived at Constitution Wharf, Boston 
  10. 10. FROM BOSTON TO IOWA CITY BIB: Ferguson, J[ames], [Letter], Latter-day Saints’ Millennial Star 18:23 (June 7, 1856) pp. 353-55 (HDL) I was particularly anxious to make a good first impression upon the people of Massachusetts, in view, not only of our emigration interests, but of our approaching struggle for admission into the Confederacy. I am thankful to say that I am more than satisfied. When the quarantine doctor and government agent came on board, you might have licked the “between decks” without soiling your tongue. They both pronounced, it to the visiting strangers, as far ahead of anything they had ever seen. They were followed by a number of members of the Massachusetts Legislature, who were all astonished at our cleanly, healthy appearance, and though know nothings, declared their delight at seeing such a class of people come to settle in their country. It was a rainy day on which we left Boston. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Friday 2nd of May 1856 at four o'clock p.m., the following day, the passengers disembarked they went by nine omnibuses to the railway station. They started by train at five p.m., for New York, where they arrived on the 3rd of May. After a short stay in New York, where a few of the passengers remained temporarily, the company continued the journey by rail to Iowa City, where they arrived on the 10th of June 1856. {NOTE: I believe they arrived earlier than this date – Mid May probably 10 May 1856}. The P. E. Fund emigrants who crossed the Atlantic in the Enoch Train, were forwarded from Boston to Iowa City, via New York, for eleven dollars and fifty cents per head for adults -- those over fourteen years old; and five dollars and seventy-five cents were paid for children between the ages of four and fourteen; those under four years went free. One hundred pounds of luggage was allowed for each adult and fifty pounds for each child over three years old. Leaving by rail, they traveled to Rock Island, Illinois. The train being 15 minutes late saved all of them from plunging into the Mississippi River as the bridge has broken with the train ahead of them. They stayed at Rock Island until Monday morning crossing the Mississippi River by boat. Here they traveled in box cars to Iowa City. From here they walked 4 miles to the Iowa camp grounds. I was surprised to find many of the former company who were my companions across the sea still on the camp ground; on inquiring the cause of their delay; I was informed; that the hand carts ordered from St Louis had been delayed: and finally their purchase abandoned: under the impression that they could manufacture them; with less cost: and so they were now constructing them So, John, along with the rest of the men, made their handcarts on which they could haul the few things necessary to make the journey across the plains, one thousand miles to Utah. John and family stayed in Iowa City six weeks.
  11. 11. We remained in Iowa six weeks. All the men were busy making handcarts. Our bake kettle which father had ordered had not come. We had to fry our dough in a pan over the campfire. Everything was so different from the life in England and it was hard to stand such changed conditions. A lady seeing me do it said, “Come into me tent and use my stove.” This lady was not a member of the company. She lived in a tent nearby and owned a nice stove with a good oven which she allowed me to use. In the course of my acquaintance I learned that she was a relative of the Joseph F. Smith family. The Handcart Song ttp:// Come, Come, Ye Saints - Mormon Tabernacle Choir FROM IOWA CITY, IOWA TO SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH Iowa City: 1856 The Handcart Pioneers Iowa City was the end for the west-bound railroad in 1856. It was here that the convert emigrants were outfitted with handcarts to begin their trek. With nearly empty carts they made good time across Iowa to Council Bluffs, Neb.. Here they acquired the remaining provisions for their long march.
  12. 12. Thousands of immigrants from England and Wales who joined the Church and the trek west took on a new form of transportation to Salt Lake City. They couldn't afford wagons after leaving their homeland, so they pulled handcarts. The human-powered handcarts, which were envisioned by Brigham Young, proved to be one of the most brilliant—and tragic experiments in all western migration. "To lead the second Handcart Company, Daniel D. McArthur (who was aboard “Enoch Train”), age thirty-six, was chosen. ... he too was a returning missionary and was a native of New York state. He had become a member of the Mormon Church at the age of eighteen, had experienced the persecutions in Missouri and Illinois and had migrated to Utah in '48. The Second Company numbered 222 (sic) souls. Train consisted of 12 yoke of oxen, 4 wagons, and 48 handcarts; we also had 5 beef and 12 cows; flour, 55 lbs. per head, 100 lbs. of rice, 550 lbs. of sugar, 400 lbs. dried apples, 125 lbs. tea, and 200 lbs. salt for the company. (Some of their provisions were replenished along the way.),15797,4017-1-195,00.html “... The first two Handcart Companies left Iowa City two days apart ... arrived in Salt Lake City on the same day. ... "... Captain D. D. McArthur left on the 11th (June, 1856) with 221 (sic) souls, accompanied by Elders Crandall and Leonard as assistants. Brother McArthur reported that "while we were leading our Handcart companies through the States and on the plains, we were called tyrants and slave drivers, and everything else that could be thought of, both by Gentiles and apostates." Small sample of this diary,18016,4976-2836,00.html Bermingham, Twiss, "To Utah--By Hand," American Legion Magazine, July 1937, 27, 58-61 Diary Notes 16th th Aug 1856. This morning an old woman (Mary Bathgate) belonging to our company was bitten by a rattlesnake in the leg and before half an hour her leg swelled to four times its thickness. She was administered to by the Elders and we started again, (They anointed both her leg and head) but unfortunately as we were starting another old woman (Isabella Gray Park) was run over by one of the wagons. The front wheel went over her thighs and the back wheels over her shins, not one of her bones was broken. (Note These two sisters were companions, both were over 60 years old. They both recovered from their injuries, and later, happily and gratefully walked into the Salt Lake Valley on September 26th. )
  13. 13. 16th Aug 1856 SUNDAY: Camped all day at Chimney Rock. Spent the day mending my clothes and baking and cooking while Kate was washing and mending the children's clothes. On the 22d while we were on the road traveling, we were overtaken by a very heavy thunderstorm which wet us all to the skin, but as soon as it was over we went at it again and made a journey of 7 or 8 miles before we camped and then we had to lie on the wet grass all night, and go to bed supperless, there being no firewood to cook, the Buffalo chips being all wet. We had to ford 20 streams this week. 21st Aug 1856 Passed Independence Rock. Crossed Green River which we had to ford with many smaller ones. Met some other wagons and people coming to meet their friends in the Company. Travelled at the rate of about 25 miles per day. Two days we traveled 32 miles each. Camped last night at Fort Bridger where we remained until 10 o'clock today. We are now 113 miles from the city. Henry Bouning [Bowring] fell down and fainted yesterday under the hand cart from fatigue. Had to be carried into camp which we did not reach until 10 o'clock at night. THE SECOND HANDCART COMPANY (Two more accounts of the accident),15791,4018-1-18112,00.html This report was given by Captain McArthur to Wilford Woodruff on January 5, 1857, and is taken from the L.D.S. Journal History, under date Sept. 26, 1856. On the 16th of August 1856 while crossing over some sand hills, Sister Mary Bathgate was badly bitten by a large rattlesnake, just above the ankle, on the back side of her leg. She was about a half mile ahead of the camp at the time it happened, as she was the ring leader of the footmen and those who did not pull a cart. She was generally accompanied by Sister Isabella Park. They were both old women over 60 years of age, and neither of them had ridden one inch since they left Iowa. Sister Bathgate sent a little girl back to have me and Brother Leonard come with all haste, and bring the oil with us, for she was badly bitten. When we got to her, she was quite sick, but said that there was power in the Priesthood, and she knew it. So we took a pocket knife and cut the wound larger, squeezed out all the bad blood we could get and there was considerable, for she had the forethought to tie a garter above the wound to stop the circulation of the blood. We then anointed her leg and head, and laid our hands on her in the name of Jesus and felt to rebuke the influence of the poison, and she felt full of faith. We then told her she would have to get in the wagon, so she called witnesses to prove that she did not get in the wagon until she was compelled to do so by the curse of the snake. We traveled about two miles and when we stopped for refreshments, Sister Bathgate continued to be quite sick, but was full of faith, and after stopping one and a half hours, we hitched up our teams. As word was given to start the teams, old Sister Isabella Park ran in before the wagon to see how her friend was. The driver, not seeing her, hollooed at his team and they, being quick to mind, Sister Park could not get out of the way and the fore wheels ran over both hips. Brother Leonard grabbed hold of her to pull her out of the way, before the hind wheels could catch her. He only got her part way, before the hind wheels passed over her ankles. We all thought that her legs would be all broken up, but there was not a broken bone. Although the wagon had something like two tons burden on it, a load for four yoke of oxen. We went right to work and applied the same medicines to her that we did to the Sister with the rattlesnake bite, and although sore for a few days, Sister Park got better so that she was on the tramp before we got into the Valley. Sister Bathgate was right by her side to cheer her up. The two sisters traveled together, they rode together and suffered together. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  14. 14. - Heritage Gateway Heritage Gateway 2nd Handcart Co.doc” Snake bite. In this same company, Aug. 16, 2/3 of the way to Ft. Laramie, according to Capt. McArthur, "...while crossing over some sand hills, Sister Mary Bathgate was badly bitten by a large rattlesnake, [ …]. She was generally accompanied by Sister Isabella Park. They were both old women, over 60 years of age, and neither of them had ridden one inch, since they had left Iowa camp ground.[ … ] [ … ] We started on and traveled about two miles, when we stopped to take some refreshments. Sister Bathgate continued to be quite sick, but was full of faith, and after stopping one and a half hours we hitched up our teams. "As word was given for the teams to start, old Sister Isabella Park ran in before the wagon to see how her companion was. The driver, not seeing her, hallooed at his team and they being quick to mind, Sister Park could not get out of the way, and the fore wheel struck her and threw her down and passed over both her hips. Brother Leonard grabbed hold of her to pull her out of the way, before the hind wheel could catch her. He only got her out part way and the hind wheels passed over her ankles. We all thought that she would be all mashed to pieces, but to the joy of us all, there was not a bone broken, although the wagon had something like two tons burden on it, a load for 4 yoke of oxen. We went right to work and applied the same medicine to her that we did to the sister who was bitten by the rattlesnake, and although quite sore for a few days, Sister Park got better, so that she was on the tramp before we got into this Valley, and Sister Bathgate was right by her side, to cheer her up. From Samuel Park Jr. history (Isabella Gray Park’s son) One year after Samuel Park, Jr. arrived in Utah, President Brigham Young issued an appeal to the brethren to provide aid to the Handcart Companies (#1 and #2) who were in the Wyoming territory and badly in need of supplies. Samuel was quick to respond because he knew that his aged Mother (Isabella Gray Park) and sister (Mary Jane Park Draney) were in Company # two. The following paragraph describes his meeting up with the Handcart Company and what happened the first meeting with his Mother.) At this time Father (Samuel Park Jr.) was one of the men sent out to meet the Saints with food. Meeting the advance guards he was told to stop at the place chosen for the night camp. Knowing his Mother and sister's family were in the company, he walked on and met the train. His Mother had seen her son last as a fair-faced boy. When he tapped her on the shoulder, she looked up very indignant that this man with a long beard, brown from the sun, would speak to her. Someone said, "Is it your son Sister Park?" "No," she, (Isabella Park), said; "I never reared a son like that." At which Father (Samuel) laughed and his sister (Mary Jane Park Draney) cried, "Mother, it is Samuel." Ever after that they teased Grandma (Isabella) about her son, "Imagine not recognizing your own son." Report by Captain McArthur They arrived in the Valley, with "only the loss of 8 souls, 7 died, and one, a young man, we never could tell what happened to him."
  15. 15. 26 Septermber 1856 - Arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah "Wilford Woodruff, one of the Counselors of President Brigham Young, describes the reception: One of the most interesting scenes that were ever witnessed in our Territory, was arrival of two of the Handcart Companies on the 26th. Having heard the night previous that they were camped between the two mountains, President Young and Kimball, and many citizens, with a detachment of the Lancers, and the brass bands, went out to meet and escort them into the city. I must say my feelings were inexpressible to behold a company of men, women, and children, many of them aged and infirm, enter the city of the Great Salt Lake, drawing 100 handcarts. This sight filled our hearts with joy and thanksgiving to God."' (The 100 handcarts included both companies 1 and 2.) -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- . . . Arriving in Immigration Canyon 26 Sept. 1856 they were met by President Young and several members of the quorum of Twelve Apostles. They brought watermelons for them. He told them not to eat too much. John said, “Brigham Young was quite sensible.”. . . . [p.20] Tour of the Mormon Handcart Trail – From Liverpool England (aboard Enoch Train) Boston, Mass. Railrod from Boston to Iowa City, Iowa.
  16. 16. Handcarts from Iowa City, Iowa to Salt Lake City, Utah Isabella Gray Park 26 September 1856 - Arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah. 1870 Isabella Park in household of Son-In-Law John Draney, "United States Census” Later, Isabella Gray Park lived at her son Samuel’s home in Skull Valley, Tooele Co, Utah DUP, Tooele Co, Utah “History of Utah’s Tooele County” Page 91 Tooele Dramatic Club provided lively entertainment for early settlers. “The best lady characters were portrayed by Miss V. Claytin, Miss M. Huntington, Miss Jeanette Park, Miss Isabella Park and Miss Susan Paul”. Miss Isabella Park may be Hamilton Gray Park’s daughter, Isabella Gray Park’s granddaughter. Jeanette Park is Samuel Park’s daughter, Isabella Gray Park’s granddaughter. Isabella Gray Park Died: 21 Dec 1879 at her son Samuel’s home in Skull Valley, Tooele Co, Utah.
  17. 17. Find A Grave - Isabella Gray Park Burial: Salt Lake City Cemetery , Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah, USA Plot: A_2_6_3E Your tombstone stands among the rest neglected and alone. The name and date are chiseled out on polished, marbled stone. It reaches out to all who care. It is too late to mourn. You did not know that I exist. You died and I was born. Yet each of us are cells of you in flesh, in blood, in bone. Our heart contracts and beats a pulse entirely not our own. Dear Ancestor, the place you filled so many years ago. Spreads out among the ones you left who would have loved you so. I wonder as you lived and loved, I wonder if you knew That someday I would find this spot and come to visit you. Author Unknown
  18. 18. The Desert News October 1, 1856 The First Hand-Cart Companies Having learned that Capt. Edmund Ellsworth’s company camped at the Willow Springs on the evening of the 28th inst., on the 26th Presidents Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, Liaut. Genl. D.H. Wells, and many others citizens, in carriages, and several gentlemen and ladies on horseback, with a part of Capt. H.B. Clawson’s company of Lancers and the Brass Bands under Capt. William Pitt, left the Governor’s Office at 9 a.m., with the view of meeting and escorting them into the city. With about a mile and a half of this foot of the Little Mountain, Pres. Young ordered the party to halt until the hand carts should arrive, and with prest. Kimball drove on to meet them. Ere long the anxiously expected train came in Sight, led by Capt. Ellsworth on foot, and with Two aged veterans pulling the front cart, followed by a long line of cart attended by the old, middle aged and young of both sexes. When opposite the reporting party, a halt was called and their Captain introduced the new comers to Prests., Young and Kimball, which was followed by the joyous greeting of relatives and friends, and the unexpected treat of melons. While thus regaling, Capt. Daniel D. McArthur came up with his hand-cart company, They having traveled from the east: bow of the Big Mountain. From the halt to the Public Square on 2nd ? West Temple street, the following order was observed, under the supervision of Capt. Clawson’s – Lancers; Ladies on horseback; Prest. Young’s, Prest. Kimball’s and Lieut. Genl. Well’s, carriages; the Bands; Capts. Ellsworth’s and McArthur’s companies; Citizens in carriages and on horseback. The line of march was scarcely taken up, before it began to be met by men, women and children on foot, on horses, and in wagons, thronging out to see and welcome the first hand-cart companies and the number rapidly increased until the living tide lined and thronged South Temple street. The procession reached the Public Square about sunset, where the Lancers, Bands and carriages were formed in a line facing the line of hand carts; and after a few remarks by Prest. Young, accompanied by his blessing, The spectators and escorts settled? and the Companies pitched their tents, at the end of a walk and pull upwards of 1300 miles. This journey has been performed with less than the average amount of mortality usually attending ox trains; and all, though somewhat fatigued, stepped out with alacrity to the last, and appeared buoyant and cheerful. They had often traveled 25 and 30 miles in a day, and would have come through in a much shorter time, had they not been obliged to wait upon the slow motion of the oxen attached to the few wagons containing the ??? and groceries. Much credit is due to Capt. Ellsworth for having walked the entire distance, thus cheering and encouraging his company by example, as well as precept, and saints with their hand carts, aided by Capts. Ellsworth and McArthur and their Assistants, Elders Oakly, Butler, Crandal and Leonard, and guided and Vastxtoed ?? by the Almighty, have preached in the ungodly a sermon louder than the voice of many thunders. And thus has been successfully accomplished a plan, devised by the wisdom and forethought of our President, for rapidly gathering the poor, almost entirely independent of the wealth so closely hoarded beyond their reach. Herein is exhibited a portion of the faith and patience of the Saints’, but will the world heed the lesson? Only the wise, for the wicked will pass on and be punished.
  19. 19. . .
  20. 20. The account of Handcart Co’s on Wikipedia. It’s a good summary. Remember, the Gordon have two sets of ancestors (comprising a party of nine 9 people) in the 2nd Handcart co. and Harriet Louisa Peacock’s brother (Alfred J. Peacock) was in the 4th Willie Handcart Co. Mormon handcart pioneers From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Motivated to join their fellow Church members but lacking funds for full ox or horse teams, nearly 3,000 Pioneers used handcarts to transport their belongings. Mormon handcart pioneers, were participants in the migration of members of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also known as the LDS Church) to Salt Lake City, Utah. The Mormon handcart movement began in 1856 and lasted until 1860. Mormon pioneers from England, Wales, Scotland and Scandinavia made the journey from Iowa or Nebraska to Utah in ten handcart companies. The trek was disastrous for two of the companies, which started their journey dangerously late and were caught by heavy snow and severe temperatures in central Wyoming. Despite a dramatic rescue effort, more than 210 of the 980 pioneers in these two companies died along the way. John Chislett, a survivor, wrote, "Many a father pulled his cart, with his little children on it, until the day preceding his death." Although less than 10 percent of the 1847–68 Latter-day Saint emigrants made the journey west using handcarts, the handcart pioneers have become an important symbol in LDS culture, representing the faithfulness and sacrifice of the pioneer generation. They continue to be recognized and honored in events such as Pioneer Day, Church pageants, and similar commemorations. The handcart treks were a familiar theme in 19th century Mormon folk music and have been a theme in LDS fiction, such as Gerald Lund's historical novel, Fire of the Covenant, and Orson Scott Card's science-fiction short story, "West."
  21. 21.