JAMES R. PRENDERGAST
807 South Middlebush Road, Somerset, NJ 08873
732-874-0385 Phone firstname.lastname@example.org
• ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
• AUTOMATION AND ELECTRICAL
SYSTEMS DESIGN AND
• PL ANT EN GIN EERIN G AN D
MAN AGEMEN T
• FIEL D SERVIC E
• FIEL D SERVIC E MAN AGEMEN T
• PROC ESS IN ST RUMEN T AT ION
EN GIN EERIN G, IN ST AL L AT ION
AN D FIEL D SERVIC E
• AUT OMAT ION , DC S AN D
EL ECT RIC AL DIST RIBUT ION
SY ST EM DESIGN ,
FABRIC AT ION , IN ST ALL AT ION
AN D MAIN T EN ANC E
AutoCAD ~ AutoCAD Electrical~ Automation, Machinery Control, DCS and SCADA System Design and
Fabrication~ Process Control and Recording Instrumentation Specialist ~Instrumentation Installation
Plant Engineering and Management Experience
Industrious, dedicated Professional with 30 plus years of experience. Successfully ran a field
sales and servicing business, including supervising employees and independent contractors.
Excellent background designing, building and repairing equipment in the field. Committed to
maintaining ongoing communication with all affected parties, and to finishing every job to the
customer’s satisfaction. Outstanding equipment design skills, as demonstrated by saving General
Electric over $1 million per year by designing and selling equipment that dramatically increased
production. Excel in customer relations and negotiations. Work well with customers in
developing proper product placement commensurate with their needs by employing extensive
technical knowledge and proven listening and comprehension skills. Excellent grasp of
Hydraulics, Pneumatics and Mechanics, both in design and practice.
UNI Engineering-Hightstown, NJ 11/2013 to Present
Instrument and Controls Engineer, Automation Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Electrical Systems
• Develop Instrumentation Plan, BOM, and Quotations for specific projects.
• Specify all Instrumentation and Controls, Electrical Systems required to meet project
needs. This includes VFD’s, Motors, Starters, and Cable Schedules.
• RFID Sytems, Photoelectric, Capacitive, Level, Radar/Ultrasonic Sensors specifying and
• Work from P&ID Drawings to determine instrument location and function when
• Write Instrument Specifications, which include all the inputs and outputs, location and
functions. Specify correct PLC CPU, Power Supplies, I/O Modules, and Rack Type, if
• Produce instrumentation schematics and electrical schematics and wiring diagrams using
• Develop PLC I/O list, including locations and function and tags.
• Create and maintain Instrument List, including vendor recommendations.
• Create and send out RFQ’s to prospective bidders.
• Work with other department to develop Conduit and Cable Schedule, if not covered
under my normal scope of work.
• Produce Loop Wiring Diagrams for individual instruments, if project requires them.
• Field Surveys for As Built Drawings and Documentation of existing infrastructure for
documentation and upgrades/modifcations to existing systems.
• PLC Programming and Documentation.
• Detailed Mechanical Drawings for Instrumentation and Electrical Enclosure Layouts.
• Design and Specify Wire and Cable Schedules, Cable Tray, Conduit Schedules.
• Proficient in the use of ETAP, PIPE FLO PRO, PRO FLOW3 Software Packages.
• Proficient in the use of WinEST.
• Proficient in the use of AutoCAD Electrical through Version 2014.
• Proficient in the use of A-B RS Logix500, 5000 and Factory Talk. Experienced with
Direct Logic, Omron Ladder and Function Block Programming, Software and Hardware.
• Some experience with Siemens Sysmac, Schneider Electric Modicon Unity Pro software
• Power Distribution, Load Shedding, Arc Flash Calculations, SCCR Calculations.
• Knowledgeable in UL508A, NFPA70E, NFPA79, etc.
TEMPORARY CONTRACT ENGINEERING SERVICES 4/2013 to 11/2013
Operated as Independent Corporation during this period.
• Electrical Design Engineering Services for various companies as Independent Contract Engineering
• Automation Systems for multiple industries, including Hydraulics, Conveyor Systems, Automated
Assembly Systems and Machinery.
• System Upgrades from Relay Logic to PLC based logic.
• Experienced in the Design of High and Low Pressure Hydraulic Control Systems
• Experienced in UL508A and NFPA79 based Safety Systems, Guarding and Personnel Protection.
• Safety Assessments and Upgrades to meet current standards.
• Contract PLC and HMI Programming.
• Design to Written and Verbal Specifications.
• Designs include Bill of Materials, Project Management Control Documents, Operational Manuals,
Start up Procedures.
• Design complete electrical systems from P&ID documents.
• Skilled with electrical design using AutoCAD Electrical (CADE), but also able to draft by hand if
required. I can also re-create hand-drafted drawings into CADE for updating and digital storage.
• Experienced with the extrusion process, downstream processing, piping, pumps and motors, pressure
sensing and regulation, flow, volumetric measurement and control equipment.
• Skilled with the ability to specify, install and operate discreet control and measurement
instrumentation, such as process controls, chart recorders, data acquisition, as well as process sensors
of all types.
ABP INDUCTION-North Brunswick, NJ 7/ 2012- 11/2012
Electrical Engineer- Contract Position
• Design Control Systems for Induction Furnaces using AutoCAD Electrical
• Both New Systems and Retrofits/Upgrades
• Specified Materials Based on System Requirements
• Produced Bill of Materials and other required documentation
• Provided both Electrical and Mechanical Designs for Systems
• Converted Relay Logic Systems to PLC Based Systems
• Set up and Manage Project Folders in AutoCAD Electrical
• Utilized Pressure, Temperature, Flow and Level Sensing Devices
• Designed Hydraulic and Evaporative Cooling Systems
• Designed and Modified Power Systems to Component Level
• Systems from 1500 kW to 25 MW
ANDRITZ HYDRO INC. 12/2012-2/2013
Electrical Design Engineer- Contract Position
• Electric Design for Hydroelectric Power Generation Systems.
• Design from customer specifications complete hydroelectric systems, including all control
mechanisms, hydraulics and controls, pneumatics and controls and power distribution.
• PLC upgrades from existing relay logic systems, as well as rebuilding older relay logic systems and
developing hybrid systems using both PLC and relay logic technologies.
• Field service and onsite installation and troubleshooting.
• Field commissioning, writing procedures for commissioning and calibration procedures.
• Designing all aspects of the system, including hydraulic and pneumatic systems and their controls.
• Pressure, volume, flow, interlocking devices and logic.
• Systems to several megawatts. High voltage grid and line generation systems.
• Responsible for complete system design and system upgrades from relay to PLC logic controls.
• HMI and PLC programming.
• Mechanical design as well as electrical.
• High interest level in developing natural resources and renewable energy sources.
• Familiar with Hydraulic Fracturing practice and water treatment systems for site cleanup.
• Special interest in site remediation technology and developing on site mobile water treatment
BELVAC PRODUCTION MACHINERY- Lynchburg, VA 1/2012 – 8/2012
Electrical Engineer - Contract Position
• Designing Electrical Control Systems using AutoCAD Electrical for complex High Speed Can
• Programming PLC Systems, A-B & Siemens, Omron.
• Produce Bill of Materials and all other required documentation.
• Publish Approval, Production and As Built Drawings.
• Design Electrical Control Systems for High Speed Canning Machinery. Systems include high
voltage areas; up 480 VAC/3PH. Systems contain Motor Drive and Control Components, such as
• Designed and set up Ethernet and Device Net communications between PLC and VFD’s, as well as
• Produce systems designs on AutoCAD Electrical 2011 and 2012. Systems are designed to meet NEC
Codes and are CE Compliant.
• Set up and manage Project Folders in AutoCAD Electrical.
• Determine what devices and components used in system being designed.
• Work with Vendors to insure correct application of their products.
CG AUTOMATION SOLUTIONS USA INC- SPRINGFIELD, NJ 5/2011 -11/2011
Manufacturers of SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) Systems
• Managed Systems Engineering Department
• Directly Responsible for (4) Engineers and (1) Draftsman
• Engineered SCADA Systems for Transportation and Utilities
• ISO Certified Company, insured ISO Procedures adhered to
• Reviewed and approved or corrected all Systems designs
• *Reviewed and approved or corrected all System drawings
• Advised System Engineers on project designs
• Managed approximately 45 Projects simultaneously
• Performed Final Inspection on all completed systems
• Interacted with customers as designated point of contact with customers
• Interacted with Vendors, specified products used in systems
• Engineered Systems and drew them on AutoCAD when work load high
• Sat on ISO Committee
• Represented Systems Engineering Department at weekly status meetings
• Reported directly to the company President
PRO-FORM PACKAGING- DUNELLEN, NJ 2010-5/2011
Custom Thermoformers of Plastic Materials
• Oversee all plant facilities and maintenance.
• Assist in production tooling design for existing and new products.
• Instituted maintenance management programs for preventive and ongoing maintenance.
• Instituted cost controls and management for machinery and facilities, designed to reduce down
time and increase both machine and personnel productivity.
• Instituted spending controls and streamlined maintenance procedures and scheduling.
• Developing and instituting energy management systems to reduce overall energy consumption by re-
designing electric heating systems used in production equipment, and installation of automated
environmental control equipment.
• Specified materials when called for, obtained pricing and delivery, coordinated deliveries to meet
• Provided interface between vendors and customers.
• Set up job site work force and provided on-site project management services.
• Prepared installation and set up procedures.
• Proficient in AutoCAD Electrical. Latest version used 2013.
• RS Logix 5000 and 500, Factory Talk.
• High level of experience in the use of Discreet Instrumentation, such as Process Controls, Data
Acquisition Devices (Chart Recorders, etc.)
• Experienced Hands on Troubleshooting of devices and systems in the field.
• Fully capable of system fabrication and field installation and integration when necessary.
HAMPTON CONTROLS- Wendel, PA 1997 – 2010
• Designed, quoted, and drew AutoCAD electrical and mechanical drawings.
• Oversaw and fabricated industrial systems and performed PLC programming.
• Provided extensive telephone troubleshooting of complex technical systems.
• Interacted daily with customers, vendors, and contractors.
• Maintained constant communication between affected parties.
• Developed and conducted technical seminars and field presentations of proposals.
• Performed vendor and inventory management.
• Experienced in field sales work.
• Experienced in field service work.
• Sales management and training.
• Participated in trade shows on local and national level.
• Experienced presenter in customer seminars.
• Experienced public speaker.
• Performed services, design and managed vendors to coordinate work procedures for customers.
• Planned and executed development projects for industrial systems.
• Built prototype circuitry from schematics and sketches.
• Provided advanced procedures for calibration, repair, preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and
installation of industrial control systems.
• Documented instruments and process control systems, which involved knowledge of mechanical and
electrical instrumentation and understanding of process control loops and process control systems.
• Designed and troubleshot circuitry and systems.
• Utilized understanding of electrical/mechanical schematics and wiring and panel drawings to
identify root cause and appropriate corrective action for equipment problems.
• Gained experience in all aspects of product development from conceptual design to production
release, manufacturing, project management and documentation. Strong background in design for
manufacturability (DFM) and design for precision assembly.
• Successfully used technical background and experience in developing markets.
• Performed classical engineering analyses, including static and dynamic loading, thermal/heat
transfer, vibration, and stress.
• Initiated, maintained and monitored schedules and costs, resulting in finalizing projects on target and
within budget 100% of the time.
• Integrated subcomponents into larger systems.
VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY Villanova,PA
BSEE -ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
U.S. MARINE CORPS
• Trained in telecommunications electronics installation and repair.
• Given two meritorious promotions for achieving top ranking in field.
• Awarded Marine Corps Leatherneck Award for demonstrating outstanding leadership skills.