CASTRATION IN DOG
(Orchiectomy, Testectomy, Sterilization, Neutering)
Aggressive behavior of the dog
Sever blunt penetrating or crushing injuries of testis
Enlarged prostate and perineal hernia
Prevention of breeding nuisance.
Pre-anesthesia & Preoperative Antibiotic
• Long acting antibiotic
• Inject Xylazine and Atropine & wait for 10 mins.
• Inject Ketamine after 10 mins.
Top Up Preparation
Prepare Top Up mixture of Diazepam and Ketamine in the ratio 1:2.
Fix a butterfly scalpen vein on the cephalic vein for fluid therapy
and top up.
• One tests is pushed forward and is held in position by left index
finger and thumb and about 2-3 cm long incision is made in the
skin un till white glistening Tunica Vaginalis is visible.
• The testicle is now squeezed out and can be removed by any of the
Ligation of Spermatic Cord: Miller’s Know
Wound Closure: Usual manner with absorbable suture material.
The Condition occurs on the medial trochlea of the femur
between middle and medial patellar ligaments.
UPWARD FIXATION OF PATELLA
Articular surface of
Causes of UFP
1. Hereditary: Straight hind limb
2. Debility and poor condition
4. Abrupt training
5. Laxity of patellar ligaments
6. Overextension of hind limb
Clinical Symptoms of UFP
Animal keeps the limb in extension while walking.
Knuckling of fetlock
Resists reverse walk
Raises hind quarter of affected side and moves by swinging the
limbs outward and forward.
Control and anesthesia: Animal is restrained in lateral
recumbency with affected limb towards the ground. The other
limb is drawn forward and tied with forelimbs.
• Sedative with Xylazine hydrochloride 0.1 mg/kg IM.
• Subcutaneous and deep infiltration with 8 mL of 2%
lidocaine hydrochloride over the medial and middle
Open method Closed Method
Closed method is widely used now a days.
• In this method stab incision is made with B.P Blade
immediately in front of medial tuberosity of Tibia.
• Abscess knife is passed through V shaped groove between
middle & medial ligament facing sharp end towards the
ligament. Then transected facing knife toward operator.