Timeline for Facebook pages What’s different and what you need to know to manage your page after the switch
The “Timeline” look for posts…Your page displays a few ofyour most recent posts. As You have the option to hideyou scroll down you will see the box displaying posts by“highlights” (most successful your fans. More on how to doposts) from each time period. that later.
Where’s the option to post a link?You no longer need it. Paste a link inthe regular status box and Facebookwill recognize it as a link and fill in theappropriate information. Once the link has been recognized, you can delete it from the status box and type in your text.
Components of the page header… 5. Admin Panel 1. Cover photo 2. Profile picture3. About info 4. Apps
1. Cover photoSize: 851px wide x 315px highYou can use a photo you have already uploaded to your albums or upload a new one.When you scroll over your cover image, you will see the option to change your image.Make sure your image is greater than these dimensions to begin with. Facebook willscale it up to fit the space, and if you start with a small image it will appear pixelated.
2. Profile pictureSize: Photo displays at 125px x 125pxAccording to Facebook, your original image must be at least 180x180Profile images used to be rectangular in shape. Now they must be square. Facebookwill automatically use a square portion of your previous profile image, but it isrecommended that you create a new square image.When you scroll over your profile image you will see the option to edit the picture.This allows you to change your image or select a new thumbnail.
3. About info Your About info is pulled from your page’s About section. Click on “About” to see your page’s full About section and edit the information included there.
4. AppsApps are the menu that used to be displayed on the left side of your page.Click on the expand arrow to see all your apps and edit them.When you scroll over an app in the expanded view, you can use the pencil icon tochange their order or remove/add apps.You can also upload a custom cover image for some of your apps. The dimensionsfor those are 111px x 74px.
5. Admin panel Click the “Admin Panel” button to reveal your admin panel, which displays information you can use to manage your page.
How to use the Admin Panel… 1. Notifications 3. Messages 2. Insights
1. NotificationsDisplays all the recent interactions with your page (likes, comments, posts). Click onany item to see the interaction.*Blue items are new since your list visit to the page.*Right now there is a bug: If you are notified that more than one person posted onyour timeline and you click on the item, it will not display the posts. You can still seethem in your “Posts by Others” box or your Activity Log.
2. Insights This is a quick snapshot of how your page is doing. Reach is how many people (fans or non-fans) have seen your page’s content. Talking about This is how many people have interacted with your page’s content (liked, commented, shared).Click “See All” for a much more detailed look at your page analytics, includingdemographic information about your fans and a breakdown of how each individualpost performed.*Use Insights to understand how your page is performing and to see how specificactions affect the response to your page (Do certain types of content cause spikes? Isthere an optimal frequency of posting? When you promote the page on air do yousee a change?).*On agency computers, Firefox will not display the post-level data.
3. Messages Messages are a brand new feature for Timelines. Your fans can now send a private message to the page rather than posting on the page’s wall. These work the same as private messages between Facebook friends…or email. You have the option to disable messages if you do not want to use this feature. More on how to do that in a second.
Even more admin options… 1. Edit Page Controls your page settings and information 2. Use Activity Log A list of all activity happening on your pageSee Banned UsersControl who is banned from interacting with your pageUse Facebook as PageNecessary if you have your page set up to allow you to post as yourself or as thepage
1. Edit Page New options for page management: 1) Hide “Recent Posts by Other” box on timeline 2) Enable pre-moderation of posts on your timeline (not comments, just posts) 3) Disable private messages function
2. Activity LogSee and moderate allactivity on page.Change visibility ofposts:O = publicØ = hiddenUse the dropdownmenu at the top tofilter your view tocertain types ofposts.
Any questions? If you find anything else that should be included in this presentation, please let me know!