1. Challenger Before entering the store: -‐ Entrance is widely opened -‐ Outside shows some promo(on of latest gadgets -‐ Being a gadgets lover, I love to know what’s the latest Environment: -‐ The color is plain and simple, I like it as it made me feel relax. -‐ Simple (le ﬂooring. So my focus is more on the products rather than the environment. -‐ Ceiling is preMy high which makes the store looks big. -‐ Lots of white ligh(ng, bright and clear. -‐ It is usually very loud because many people trying out the gadgets. -‐ No music, as people could be trying the audio of PC, ipad, speaker, etc… so no need for music.
1. Challenger Environment -‐ Store temperature is appropriate. -‐ Merchandise is well placed and allow people to explore. -‐ Cashier located near the side of the entrance. -‐ Not that visible but there are a number of staﬀ around helping -‐ I like to stay there as long as I could as there is so much to see. -‐ Yes, the environment does inﬂuence me, as I tend to buy something unplanned if I stay longer. Personnel: -‐ Usually sales person won’t bother me un(l I request, which is what I preferred. -‐ No script. No diﬀerent in treatment. -‐ Salesperson to customer ra(o is about 7: 1
1.Challenger Personnel: -‐ Cannot tell if salesperson is using store products -‐ They all wear Challenger polo shirt -‐ They look technical and professional. Products: -‐ Tablets -‐ There is a central display like an experience table, featuring latest products. -‐ The sales items are usually near the entrance -‐ Products are arranged by func(on -‐ You can request staﬀ to demonstrate -‐ Many products are at eye level -‐ Usually the soWware items are in the least accessible loca(ons -‐ It is by func(on rather than by price -‐ Yes, prices are clearly indicated. -‐ Yes there are impulse items near cash register.
1. Challenger Customers: -‐ Most customers are alone, usually are men -‐ Average age about 30 – 40 years old -‐ Most customers walk to respec(ve sec(ons of their interest. -‐ Customers usually stay at least 30 minutes. -‐ Customers are encouraged to touch the products. -‐ Most are browsing. -‐ 50% would buy something
2. Bread Society Before entering: -‐ Yes it draws me because the bread displayed is so seducing. -‐ The door is wide opened -‐ It is very welcoming and smell fantas(c -‐ Very big sign leMering, simple font -‐ This is a bread lover place! Environment: -‐ Yellow ligh(ng with chandelier -‐ Simple (le ﬂooring, clean -‐ High ceiling, make the space seems big -‐ Bright so can see bread clearly -‐ Noise level is ok, people talking -‐ SoW music playing, yes ﬁne with the environment. -‐ Temperature is ﬁne -‐ Store full of all kinds of delicious bread -‐ Great smell of freshly baked bread -‐ Cash counter beside the glass display
2. Bread Society Environment: -‐ No security seen -‐ Will stay about 15 minutes -‐ Yes, I tend to buy more than I need because the bread looks so good! Personnel: -‐ There is no salesperson, only cashier and service staﬀ -‐ Employees are young women, early 20s -‐ There is no diﬀerence in treatment to customer -‐ All employees wear very preMy uniform. -‐ Yes, the employees look clean and like a professional baker
2. Bread Society Products: -‐ The ﬁrst thing to no(ce is the new products displayed near the entrance – mouth-‐watering -‐ There are full of display of bread, featured are usually in the glass display. -‐ Products are arranged by type -‐ No free samples L -‐ Yes many are at eye-‐level -‐ Only those need to be kept at certain temperature are not accessible. -‐ No much diﬀerence in prices. -‐ Prices are well displayed -‐ Near the cashier is the glass display showing all kinds of bakery.
2. Bread Society Customers: -‐ Customers are usually alone -‐ Average age around 35 -‐ Mostly women -‐ They tend to walk in all direc(ons, no same path -‐ Usually stay around 10-‐15 minutes -‐ Products cannot be touched, strongly discouraged. -‐ Most are on mission. -‐ Almost 100% of the people in the store would buy something.
3. Paper Market Before entering: -‐ Colorful display of products -‐ Door is widely opened -‐ It makes me wan(ng to check up what they have -‐ Big sign with simple font -‐ It is all about “Paper” Environment: • Color is very plain with simple (le ﬂooring, partly because products are too colorful. • High ceiling, store looks big • Brightly lit with white ligh(ng, help you to see items clearly • Not noisy at all, with soW music • Appropriate temperature • With many items but orderly placed • No smell • Cash register located near the front entrance
3. Paper Market Environment: • Store security is not obvious • Like to stay for at least 30 minutes • In this environment, Items are very aMrac(ve but costly. Personnel: • Sales person will leave me alone (ll I request for help. • No script, but know their products well • No diﬀerent in treatment • Usually only 2 salesperson in the store • They are young women, early 20s • No uniform • Don’t see any matching of image
3. Paper Market Products: -‐ All the preMy journal displayed right at the entrance -‐ There is a central display, side display -‐ Sales items are normally place at the front -‐ Products arranged by func(on -‐ No free samples -‐ Got classes to teach you how to make some stuﬀ using their papers -‐ Products are usually at eye level -‐ Least accessible are large size paper -‐ Prices are not according to loca(on -‐ Prices are stated on the items itself.
3. Paper Market Customers: -‐ Most customers are alone. -‐ Usually teenagers and mostly female -‐ Customers tend to walk diﬀerent direc(on -‐ They usually stay about 30 minutes -‐ Yes they do touch the products to feel the quality. But many products are sealed with plas(c covers -‐ Most are browsing -‐ 40% of the customers will buy
4. Nespresso Before entering: -‐ Full glass window with a glass door entrance. -‐ It does not draw me as it looks expensive and too high-‐class for middle income people like me -‐ The door is closed -‐ If not because I need to buy the reﬁlls, I would not want to go in -‐ It is clearly for customers who have high income Environment: -‐ Color of wall is plain but many display -‐ Simple, plain (le to allow people to focus on the store display -‐ High ceiling and bright yellow ligh(ng -‐ Very quiet with soW music
4. Nespresso Environment -‐ Feel very cold, may be because very few customers -‐ Store is full of the products -‐ Great smell of espresso -‐ Cash register is at the middle of the store -‐ Cannot see the store security -‐ I was invited to have a coﬀee at the coﬀee counter, so stayed about 30 minutes -‐ No, do not feel that I have to buy Personnel: -‐ The sales person ini(ated conversa(on immediately -‐ Standard ques(ons asked -‐ I do feel the diﬀerent in treatment, they tend to treat regular customers beMer
4. Nespresso Personnel: -‐ As there are few customers, ra(on is like 1 to 2 -‐ They wear suit, look very professional -‐ Yes they do match the image of the high-‐class coﬀee Products: -‐ The Nespresso machines -‐ There is a central display of the machines -‐ No for sales items -‐ Products arrange by func(on -‐ Free samples of coﬀee -‐ Can request for demonstra(on on the use of the machines -‐ Products are at eye level -‐ The reﬁlls would be least accessible -‐ No diﬀerent of pricing rather by capabili(es -‐ Prices stated clearly -‐ No impulse items
4. Nespresso Customers: -‐ Most customers are alone -‐ Average age about 30 – 40s -‐ Mix gender -‐ No ﬁxed direc(on, some directly to buy reﬁlls, some browsing the machines -‐ Yes they do touch, I think its ﬁne as long as they are not children -‐ Some browsing, most on mission to buy reﬁlls -‐ 80% buy reﬁlls
5. Uniqlo Before entering: -‐ Yes it draws me because it is very widely open -‐ Feel relax and welcoming -‐ Sign not big but simple -‐ Store is simple with mechanize for daily use Environment: -‐ Plain colors with simple (le ﬂooring -‐ Display cabinets are plain too so as to focus on the clothes -‐ Ceiling high and store is brightly lit and always very big space -‐ Noisy environment as it is normally crowded -‐ Sales persons will be shou(ng “welcoming to uniqlo” -‐ SoW music but not very audible
5. Uniqlo Environment: -‐ Store temperature is ok -‐ No smell -‐ Cash register is at the mid of the store -‐ Security not visible -‐ I usually stay at least 30 minutes -‐ Yes, I tend to buy Personnel: -‐ Sales person won’t bother you unless you request for help -‐ No script but friendly & helpful -‐ No diﬀerent in treatment -‐ As there are many customers, so ra(o can be 1 to 10 -‐ Young employees, 20 – 30 years old, mix gender -‐ They will wear the products -‐ No uniform -‐ Match the image as they all portray causal and friendly image
5. Uniqlo Products: -‐ The sales items, placed right in front of the entrance -‐ No central display -‐ Products are arranged according to type and gender -‐ No free samples but can try the products -‐ Most at eye level -‐ Least accessible are inner wear -‐ Products arrange not according to prices -‐ Price clearly stated on items -‐ No impulse items
5. Uniqlo Customers: -‐ Most customers are with someone, usually friends -‐ Big range as customers can be young to middle age customers -‐ Mix gender -‐ Customers tend to walk all diﬀerent direc(on -‐ Usually they stay about 30 minutes -‐ Yes they touch the products and are encourage to try them -‐ Customers are usually browsing -‐ 70% of the customers will purchase
6. Kinokuniya Bookstore Before entering: -‐ Wide glass window with wide open door -‐ Feel welcoming -‐ Sign is big and with simple font Environment: -‐ Did not no(ce any par(cular color scheme, it is simple and spacious -‐ Flooring is plain, simple (le. The children sec(on is carpeted, for kids to sit down to read -‐ Very brightly lit, good for reading -‐ Quite quiet, with soW music -‐ Good for reading -‐ Temperature ok -‐ Store full of products, orderly placed -‐ No dis(nct smell
6. Kinokuniya Bookstore Environment: -‐ Cash register located near entrance, there is more than one of them -‐ There are several security guards and have security detectors at all the entrances and exits -‐ Can be easily an hour in the store -‐ Yes, tend to buy books Personnel: -‐ Sales person will not bother you unless you ask for help. Usually friendly and knowledgeable -‐ No diﬀerent in treatment -‐ Ra(on can be 20:1 because store is very big -‐ Employees are about ~40 years old -‐ Mainly female -‐ Wear uniform -‐ Don’t feel that there is any kind of image they try to portray.
6. Kinokuniya Bookstore Products: -‐ Books on sales near the entrance -‐ Central display for new books -‐ Items arranged according to categories -‐ Most books are available for reading, some(mes got book reviews by authors -‐ Most products are at eye level -‐ Least accessible would be those at the highest shelf –seem to be storage -‐ Products not arranged by prices -‐ Prices are tagged on items -‐ Yes several impulse items near the cash register
6. Kinokuniya Bookstore Customers: -‐ Most customers are alone -‐ Wide range of age, from young children to elderly -‐ Mix gender -‐ Customers walk in all direc(ons -‐ They usually stay quite long, like an hour -‐ Yes they are encouraged to touch the products, though some books are sealed. They can request to open them. -‐ Customers are usually browsing. -‐ 50% of the customers would purchase.
Insights & Hidden Opportuni(es • Spacious and simple design is welcoming • Explora(on enhances shopper’s experiences • Regular updates and changes give surprise and something to look forward • Knowledgeable staﬀ give conﬁdences and increase trust • Interest is individual and personalized, so store design should promote these