Oslo’s largest park is nicknamed after the sculptor Gustav Vigeland, whose 212 sculptures depicting humanity in all its forms are artfully positioned along the central axis. The focal point is the soaring Monolith on the speeped plinth surrounded by groups of figures. Vigeland started work on the park in 1924. By 1950 seven years after his death, most of the pieces were in place. The sculptures were modelled in full size in clay by Vigeland himself, but the carving in stone and casting in bronze were carried out by others. The interplay between the sculptures, the green areas and the architecture is a breathtakingly sight.