Photojournalism is journalism in
which a news story is presented
primarily through photographs with
supplementary written copy called
caption/s. It is now usually
understood to refer only to still
images, but in some cases the term
also refers to video used in
Held as the Father or Modern
His photo “Behind the Gare St.
Lazare” has been called as the
greatest photograph of the 20th
Photojournalist/s- is/are the
person/s capturing images used in
create pictures that contribute to
the news media.
CAPTION – is the text or body
type accompanying photos or
artwork or any pictorial
illustration and sometimes
called cutline or underline.
The title or explanatory
matter above a photo is
Captions should be
closely related to the
picture so that the
reader may be able to
take in picture and
caption at a glance.
1. Explain what needs explaining
All captions should answer six basic
questions; who, what, when,
where, how and why. The first
sentence should easily take care of
who, what, when and where. The
rest of the caption explains why and
2. Don’t spell out what’s obvious
In this photograph, a lone canoeist paddles through the still blue water
of the River Arno, Italy.
3. Keep the sentence tight
4. Don’t overload with detail
5. Intrigue just a little
Viewed from Philopappos Hill, the temples on the Acropolis still dominate Athens,
old and new. Beyond, on the right, is the conical hill of Mount Lycabettus.
An Anaphiotika resident studies newspaper cartoons in a living room
dominated by a portrait of a son who died of starvation during the Second
1) When you wake up, consider yourself on
2) Develop your own style and vision, while also
mastering the basics.
3) Embrace photojournalism as a business.
4) Self-promote humbly not arrogantly.
5) Retain the rights to your images.
6) Enmesh yourself within the larger photography
7) Don’t wait to be handed an assignment.
8) Learn and love video along with stills.
9) Dress appropriately, depending on the assignment.
10) Never work for free.
1. A lone wolf orientation.
2. Single, or have a flexible family life.
3. An Immovable Faith in the Power of an
5. Fast and Decisive
6. Ability to Self-Edit
7. Competitive, Very