Time for drastic action career change webinar 2010
Jenni Proctor Career Clarity www.careerclarity.com.auhttp://claritycareermanagement.com.au/ email@example.com
What’s changed? Job for life A range of jobs Permanent status Part time jobs Portfolio careers Specific skills Generic skills Qualification for life Life long learning Knowledge Ability to find and evaluate information One career path using Multiple careers using the same skill set. transferable skills Skill based technology Expectation of rapid technology uptake and intuitive learning
A career is not a destination………but a journey taken one step at a time.
1. Listen to your dreams What are you trying to achieve? What do you REALLY want to do? What’s stopping you? Are those barriers real or imagined?
2. Reality Check What really matters to you? What have you loved doing? What have you hated doing? What environments impact on your work? What MUST be considered? What’s really stopping you?
3. Research What is out there? Jobs that are being advertised Jobs that other people have Upcoming industries
4. Be Smooth! SMOOTH transition What are the links? Same work, different context Same context, different work Different work, different context, same skills.
5. Product YOU Transferable skills Employability skills eg communication, teamwork, problem solving, technology skills Personal traits eg leadership, drive, energy, empathy Identify the gaps
6. Goal setting What are your long-term Career Change goals? What are your interim Career Change goals? Set SMART goals Specific Measureable Actionable Realistic Time-bound
7. What’s your plan? How can you develop the skills you need? Access your network Informational interviews Social media – Linked In
8. Take action Nothing happens until you do something about it! Tips for Action: SMART goals, clearly displayed, looked at daily Certainty Support Pain – What will your life be like in 5 years time if you FAIL to take action now?
9. Resilience Deal with the inevitable…… Setbacks Barriers Personal doubts Fear Do you need help through this part of the process?
10. Motivation and Mind Set How will you maintain your motivation? your positive mind set? your focus?
11. Celebrate! Celebrate each step when it has been completed Really celebrate your successful career transition
Sack the Boss? Reinvent yourself Complete change of life direction Possibilities of self –employment http://RedesignRetirement.com