Israël coworking market: from 40 to 200 spaces in 2 years time - What kind of positioning strategy can one put in place in an over-competitive environment? -- Maor Cohen
Get to know the people
in the room - Instructions.
1. Everyone stand up
2. Your goal is to look for a partner
3. Find someone that you haven’t spoken with yet
4. 2 Conditions
• someone from a different country that you have
something in common with
• someone sitting at least 2 rows from you
5. Find a seat together
6. In 7 min we are removing 10 chairs so if you
snooze you loose and will stand for the rest of
the lecture ;)
Maor Cohen | Pickspace CEO
• Combat soldier in undercover unit.
• Lived in Berlin three years – Israeli embassy
• President & Founder of the International Entrepreneurship
Students Community (IESC)
• Leading the connection of entrepreneurs from Israel and
US universities - MIT, NYC, Columbia. BU…
• Law degree + Bar exam and practicing law.
• Marketing and management degree,
• Masters of Law and finance, L.L.M
• In 2015 after being fascinated by the uprisal of co-
working spaces, he co-founded Pickspace to help build
and grow the field.
Today it’s only 1% of
the real estate in the
ISRAEL – COWORKING SPACE INDUSTRY
Ø HOW DID IT GROW SO FAST
Ø WHO ARE THE PLAYERS
COWORKING SPACE IN GENERAL
Ø WHERE TO OPEN NEW COWORKING SPACES
Ø HOW TO GET MORE LEADS
Ø HOW TO OPERATE A COWORKING SPACE
Ø COMMUNITY OR NO COMMUNITY?
Ø HOW TO DIFFERNRIATE YOURSELF FROM OTHER SPACES?
Ø HOW TO CREATE A BRAND
Ø THINK OUTSIDE OF THE BOX
WORKSHOP – CREATE THE SPACE OF 2020 - PRIZE
Ø INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE WORKSHOP
Ø 3 SELECTED GROUPS WILL PRESENT AT THE END.
• Jan 2016 – 40 locations
• Jan 2017 - 68 locations
• OCT 2018 – 200 locations
How did Israel become one of the leading coworking space industries?
As a global hub for startups and a pioneer for
new technologies, Israel is a world class
innovator with an economy that’s ideal for
opening shared workspace.
• According to the 2018 Global Startup Ecosystem Report
• Tel Aviv has the highest number of startups per capita in the world
• The highest investment of GDP in research and development (R&D)
• 1,300 startups are established in Israel every year.
• Tel Aviv has 1 startup for every 1,400 people.
Just for comparison:
• France has 1 startups for every 12,400 people.
• Germany has 1 startups for every 3,100 people.
• The UK has 1 startups for every 7,200 people.
People are happy J
• An estimated 300 days of sunshine a year
Tel Aviv - the hub of the start up nation.
THE people who use
o Small businesses
o Divisions of large corporations
o Hubs and accelerators
More and more people and corporates are moving
into coworking spaces
“By 2020, 50% of large companies will have some form of shared office space” link
Market size: $22,000,000,000
• We are in the era of entrepreneurs.
• Corporations are adopting co-working space
culture (IBM, MICROSOFT…)
• 20% of the SP 500 are utilizing coworking spaces.
The future of Real
estate is changing
HOW TO CHOOSE A LOCATION TO
OPEN NEW COWORKING SPACE
ü Location / Transportation
ü People wants to work 18 min walk from home
ü Pricing (!)
ü Profitable = 60-80% occupied
ü DAY TO DAY
ü HAPPY HOURS
ü TOURS AND SALES
HOW TO OPERATE A
89% of the coworking has this sentence
on their website:
How to create
WE ARE NOT
JUST A COWORKING SPACE
Ø Instead of saying what you are not –
say what you do!
Ø Focus on your content
Ø Focus on your mission
Ø Focus on your members
Ø For example – Sarona space
Ø For example Knotel
Ø For example The wing
How to create
This is how you create Differentiation