Unit 29: Music Video
Keyshia Cole – Next Time (Won’t Give My
The music video for Keyshia Cole’s song: ‘Next Time (Won’t Give My Heart Away) was released in April
25, 2014. The video was directed by music video director Colin Tilley and edited by Vinnie Hobbs.
• The genre of the track is Contemporary R&B. And the music video
is very conceptual.
• The song lyrics is about a failed relationship. The main topics are
heartbreak, cheating, resentment and many others. The video is
directly linked to the lyrics.
• The video director uses visuals to portray the singer’s emotions.
Superimposition is used in the video. The editor places other
videos over the main video. This visual effect helps to build the
context in the music video.
• The clock represents the title ‘Next Time’
• There are at least 145 cuts in the music video. Medium shots,
Wide shots, Long shots and Close-ups. The video has both a slow
and fast pace, since it cuts with the rhythm of the music. The
lyrics to Keyshia Cole’s ‘Next Time’ are very emotional and speak
about a very personal topic in her love life. Close-up is the most
used type of shot in the video and this works effectively as a way
of showing the singer’s emotions to the audience.
• The video is shot in 6 different locations of what appears to be, a
very luxurious mansion. The mansion seems to be very empty
which connotes that she has been left alone with nothing in that
• The singer changes her clothes 4 times in the video. Some props
used are a chair, the inside of a clock, roses and dominoes. At
minute 01:29 a single shot is made showing and advertising a
product from ‘Beats by Dre’. This means that the singer and her
music video are being promoted the company, Beats by Dre.