"Online advertising has reached a level of maturity comparable to other mediums that have been deemed as significant ad platforms," said Sherrill Mane, a senior vice president at IAB. "The fact that it's still able to post double-digit growth speaks to the power of the Internet at a time when the economy is still struggling."The IAB estimates that Internet-ad revenue in 2010 surpassed that of newspapers, which amounted to $22.8 billion, as well as $22.5 billion from cable TV networks, $17.6 billion from broadcast TV networks and $15.3 billion from radioRead more: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703551304576261092386405686.html#ixzz1Jt3azQcW
The survey was administered to 1,000 consumers from Cyber Monday to Dec. 5, 2012. All respondents owned smartphones, and 54.6% owned tablets and were equally divided between male and female respondents. Only consumers who made four or more purchases and spent over $250 completed the survey.
Media consumption survey
Media Consumption & Advertising
Visibility Among Target
Demographic Group: Young Adults
Ricciardi College of Business
Bridgewater State College
WHAT MEDIUM DO WE SPEND OUR
MARKETING BUDGET ON?
WHERE CAN WE FIND THE TARGET
MARKET OF YOUNG ADULTS?
Statement of Purpose
This research is being conducted in order to
determine where a limited marketing budget’s
promotions should be placed to reach the
target market, young adults, to make them
aware of the organization and the organization’s
What medium is the target segment using? Where
will the marketing promotions reach the target?
Where should the advertising budget be allocated?
Web Advertising Eclipsed Newspapers in 2010
• Web adv. Up 15% $26B
• Newspapers $22.8B
• Cable TV $22.5B
• Broadcast TV $17.3B
• Radio $15.3B
According to Wall St. Journal & PricewaterhouseCoopers
Baynote Study of Online Purchases
“Paper catalogs influenced 81.9% more in-store
purchases and 42.9% more online purchases
Email and Online Ratings were the most
influential purchase drivers for online and in-
Young adults were surveyed on media
websites, reading newspapers and
• Survey was developed, using paper and and
then online surveys.
• Data was collected once a year over a three
year period, 2008-2010.
• College students were asked to anonymously
take the survey.
• Average respondent population was 75-100
Sample Survey Questions
• Have you heard of or have an awareness of any of the
• Have you read any of these publications in the last
• Which sections of the newspaper do you read or find
• Where do you go to get news information?
• Where do you go to get entertainment information?
• Which websites have you visited this week?
• Do you value newspapers?/Magazines?/Websites?
• Do you trust ads in newspapers?/Magazines?/Websites?
What source do you use to
get news information?
Please check any of these publications that you
have hear of or are aware of.
Please check any of these publications that
you have read some part of in the last week?
List websites that you have visited in the
How often do you read the
Not at all
Daily Internet Use
How many hours per day are you online?
< 1 Hour
1 -< 3 Hours
3 - < 6 Hours
6 + Hours
Do you read any newspaper’s websites?
Are newspapers valuable to you?
Do you value the ads in newspapers?
Do you trust the ads in newspapers?
Do you value ads on web sites?
Value Web Ads?
Do you trust the ads on web sites?
Trust Web Ads?
Media usage is shifting, but traditional media is still
An integrated marketing plan that uses multiple
media platforms is important in marketing.
In order to get noticed in a crowded media
space, marketers must use online media.
In order to build credibility, marketing must use
advertising in traditional media.
Move more marketing budget to online, social
media and mobile platforms to gain attention
while reserving some budget for marketing in
traditional media for credibility.
The message for all campaigns across integrated
marketing channels must be coordinated and
consistent so that the target will identify the
company across all media channels.
The Take Away
• Online or In Decline
–Marketers have to integrate and use online
marketing channels to get attention and
notice, choose the right channels for target
• Seven Touches
–The rule of multiple interactions across
multiple channels with the consumer
remains. Marketers need to use multiple
platforms, including traditional media to
maximize reach and build credibility
• Limited audience in size, geography, age and
• Data is aging while media are changing rapidly
• Focus was on traditional media
consumption, not usage
• No detail on radio or TV usage
Proposed Research Opportunities
• Extend the research
• Expand the audience
• Increase questions online, reduce media outlets
with more focus?
• Expand questions for online media usage?
• How are each media used, and how often?
• Do some channels serve a narrower focus?
• Follow up interviews for more qualitative data
• Are the differences in media usage statistically
significant enough to make an impact?
Future Research Questions
• Which social media works best for each marketing
• How do consumers use SM in consumer buying
behavior? Does SM influence consumer buying
• How does SM amplify WOM?
• How can SM be used to increase brand loyalty and
• What is each SM best used for in MarCom?
• Can a best practice model for IMC be created?