16. Your audience should always be at the center
of your content. This is about THEM, not YOU
01 Call out your audience
02 Use the word “you”
03 Explain what’s in it for them
17. Optimizing Content
• Always ask, “Why would my audience read this?”
• Use concise and compelling
intros and headlines
• Ask compelling questions to involve the target
• Include a clear call to action, regardless of the
• Make sure your landing pages are optimized for
• Plan your editorial calendar, but also react to
• Respond to comments regularly
• Consider keeping updates running through the
• Test to see what works with your audience and
• Always include an image, presentation, or video
• Ensure the thumbnail is relevant for external links
Company Updates Content Best Practice Cheat Sheet
19. Set up a test of different updates to reach different audiences
Sponsored Update 1:
Targeted to CMOs
These insights can help you drive
transformational change to your business.
[link to white paper landing page with tracking tag 1]
Sponsored Update 2:
Targeted to Marketing Directors
Need to demonstrate the ROI of your
marketing efforts? These insights can help.
[link to white paper landing page with tracking tag 2]
Sponsored Update 3:
Targeted to Social Media Managers
Social media managers: Get the insights you
need to drive the engagement you want.
[link to white paper landing page with tracking tag 3]
Example: B2B Marketing company XYZ has
recently launched a new piece of research
and is publishing updates to LinkedIn to drive
marketers to download it.
20. Use targeting on LinkedIn to deliver the right
message to the right person at the right time
But be careful NOT
It’s important to reach everyone
who could influence a buying
decision, so cast a wide net and
then refine your
21. 1. Driving Brand Awareness
2. Generating Quality Leads
3. Driving Event Registration
4. Expanding Thought Leadership
Sponsored Updates Achieve
Business Goals in 4 Ways
22. Sponsored Updates
Who’s Doing it Right?
• LinkedIn drove 400% more qualified leads than
any other paid lead generation platform during
the campaign period.
24. Sponsored Updates:
Who’s Doing it Right?
• As a result of the brand exposure in the LinkedIn feed,
research confirmed that U.S. marketing executives
were 50% more likely to agree that Adobe can “shape
the future of digital marketing.”
Turkey Slices (Non Gated)
47. The Results Out of the Gate
There is a famous quote from the father of advertising, David Ogilvy that says, “On the average, five times as many people read the headline as read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.” I think this statement holds true today, but with the insertion of a visual element as the new headline
Our Average Attention Span Is Now 8 Seconds – 1 Second Less Than A Goldfish
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, at the U.S. National Library of Medicine, the average attention span of a human being has dropped from 12 seconds in 2000 to 8 seconds in 2013. This is one second less than the attention span of a goldfish. That’s right, goldfish have an attention span of 9 seconds – 1 second more than you and I.
The adage "A picture is worth a thousand words" refers to the notion that a complex idea can be conveyed with just a single still image. It also aptly characterizes one of the main goals of visualization, namely making it possible to absorb large amounts of data quickly.