24 months ago, it was whos is going to go on a DT journey? Now, its who isn’t on this journey in some shape or form.
Digital Transformation – Getting on a digital platform to help accelerate and innovate.
Driven by customer demand, new features, more for less.
Methodologies worked through in the last few years.
Plenty of others ITIL, DSDM (Dynamic Systems Development Model), RUP (Rational Unified Process),
Waterfall – 6/12/18 months per release Agile – at least 2 weeks but doesnt necessarily mean into production DevOps – daily up to hundreds/thousands of times
Explain about tech stack and areas of bottle neck
Hundreds of change requests in a given release, each stream going through the same process.
Fragile in the sense any changes is frustrating to go through, large amounts of waiting times.
Without knowing, more time was spent putting out fires than actually doing the day to day
Ultimately we are seeing the same problems when we adopt something new Those that have successfully implementing the Agile methodology have gone on to experience the vast benefits Are we seeing the same problems when it comes to DevOps or whatever the next methodology that comes along….YES
Silos Blameless – root cause Togetherness – its not just someone elses problem Innovation
My journey from Fragile, to Agile and now DevOps
My journey from Fragile, to Agile
and now DevOps
Jason Man – DevOps Practice Lead
• Formed in 2016 by the acquisition of Forest Technologies, an
Automation & Transformation consultancy founded in 2003.
• 12+ years focused only Continuous Delivery, DevOps and
• Tool agnostic agile methodology for delivering DevOps.
• DevOps solutions delivered successfully globally.
• Customers from startups to global enterprises in all sectors.
About ECS Digital
Mission Planning System
• Highly regulated environments
• Large Monolithic > Component based
• Clearcase & ClearQuest
• RHEL 5 > 6
• .net / C / C++ / Python
- Unreliable builds ~45 minutes for a full clean build
- Automated the dependent build steps and pushed to Jenkins
- Long Review spreadsheets
- Build in quality checks into Continuous Integration
- Large changes, 6-9 month releases, customer wanted features faster
- Drive towards an Agile way of working
Fragile > Agile
- What is Agile?! – Overnight….we are now doing Agile to become a HPO
- Scrums….just a bit of a daily moan
- Is this just another fad the company is throwing on us
- Only the newest and shiniest part of the business will take this on
- 2 week sprints, too much time spent on the meetings
- Planning and retrospectives are important
- Stories are too big
- Planning Poker, breaking down smaller tasks
- Development funneled to a releasing point
- Release faster….Continuous Delivery
- DevOps is a means to an end, choose from the toolbox
- What’s right for YOU
- Focus on the People and Process
- Business needs vs. Technical needs
- Continuous Improvement, remember lessons learnt
- Understand your business, where you are and identify what you need from the toolbox
- There will be further “norms” … Serverless computing, DevSecOps, Containers