We now see these types of images as leading to negative stereotypesInterestingly Nanook was proved to be a fake
She photographed three women, one hour (Julie), one day (Tecla) and one week (Saskia) after giving birth. During a visit to Portugal in 1994, she made portraits of four bullfighters immediately after the fight.
Rachel Papo - Desperately Perfect
Introducing documentary lesson 2hr
On the post it notes write down what you thinkdocumentary photography is• What are the key skills that it uses?• Name as many photographers you know of that you think fit into this genre• When you’re done, stick it onto the wall (make sure your name is on it too)
• Explain what documentary photography is and what makes a good documentary project• You will identify the various types of sub genres• You will identify the types of images used to create a narrative
• Explain what documentary photography is and what makes a good documentary project• You will list and identify the various types of sub genres• You will identify the types of images used to create a narrative• You will take photographs in pairs demonstrating these skills for your college poster task.
• What is it?Documentary Photography is a narrative or story being told through photographs that involves real events to provide a factual record or report (and sometimes this is complimented with text).
Sub Genres Task• On your table is a series of photographs.• Around the room is different headings for sub genre’s.• In your groups use the blu tack provided to put one image into each category• In your groups select an image to discuss looking at the technical, lighting, compositional and contextual information behind the image.
Key Points• ‘Document’ means evidence = official, to be trusted, not to be questioned…• Documentary as signifier of truth but what of re-presentation??• Documentary is intimate – it assumes a bond between viewer and image and it is charged with showing the world as it really is
Documentary photography has always had the power to shock,to inform, to change opinion and to persuade yet the very term can be ambiguous and the photographer always chooses a particular frame and moment in time
Early documentary was often for identification – documenting criminals
What makes a Good documentary project?2 minutes task:• Think – individually of one thing you think makes a good documentary project• Pair - up with person next to you and list more ideas.• Share – with the rest of the group.Countdown clock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9MytO0O_q0
Assignment Brief• Today we are going to focus on section 2
TYPES OF IMAGES• narratives : – a story or an account of a sequence of events in the order in which they happened. – the art or process of telling a story or giving an account of something. Compositionally you can use the following types of shots to create a story:• Establishing• Detailed,• Main and• Concluding shots.
Practical Task - College posterYou have to document a short story, your narrative, showing thecollege in a positive light in aim of using it for promotional material.Take photographs using the following 4 types of images in yoursketchbook:• Established,• Detailed,• Main and• Concluding shots.You can work in groups or individually but need to include to produce aposter as an end product.
Back to Learning Objective• Explain what documentary photography is.• List the different types of sub genre’s of documentary photography• You will identify the various types of sub genres• You will identify the types of images used to create a narrative
• On your new post it note write down the following:• What is documentary and what makes a good documentary project?• List the various sub genres• Identify the types of images used to create a narrative• Any photographers you could name• Once complete - stick it next to your original post it note onto the wall
• Plan and prepare to produce your own narrative / short story at home.• For instance this could be someone cooking dinner, going to college etc• You should have 4 – 6 photographs, printed on normal paper at least A5 in your skecthbook.