• 1. relating to or characteristic of a human group having racial, religious, linguistic,
and certain other traits in common
• 2. relating to the classification of mankind into groups, esp on the basis of racial
• 3. denoting or deriving from the cultural traditions of a group of people: the ethnic
dances of Slovakia
• 4. characteristic of another culture: the ethnic look ; ethnic food
Your ethnicity is defined by your cultural identity which may demonstrate itself
through customs, dress, food. Ethnicity suggests an identity that is based on a
sense of place, ideology or religion. You can be British but of Jewish ethnicity.
Stereotypes of Ethnicity
Alvarado’s (1987) stereotypes in the
representation of ethnicity and race;
A recent revision of this has added the
• Representation of people from other cultures in the media has
changed dramatically since earlier days where they were defined in
their potential for comedy and ‘foreignness’
• Fawlty Towers: http://bit.ly/1jCS7JS
• People from other cultures still tend to be
defined by their ‘otherness’. This can be see as
either positive or negative.
Stereotypes and mis-representation
• Some stereotypes and mis-representations
can be dangerous as the representation that is
constructed by the media is often the only
experience of these cultures some audiences
• Young black people have been demonised by
some areas of the media and are presented as
linked to violence and gang culture
• Some programmes have representations of
ethnic minorities. These tend to focus on the
stereotypical aspects of that culture, for
example arranged marriages.
Do you have any examples?
• How are ethnic groups represented in the
Back up your points with specific examples
Find examples of ethnic minorities in the media for
each of these categories
Big Fat Gypsy
• How is this ethnicity represented in this
• How is the representation constructed?
• Does it use stereotypes or challenge the