AS Photography ART2 Controlled Assignment
March – Monday 7th
April 2014: 8hour EXAMs start.
Exams are split across 2 days for each group, from 9am – 1pm, in room Q10. You must be
there for 8.45am
March - Block F
April - Block F
April - Block C
April - Block C
April - Block B
April - Block B
SKETCHBOOK DEADLINE: Monday 28 April hand in to college services between 10am-1pm
Task Details Done?
1. Front Cover of
• Include your full name, AS Photography, Block and ART2
Controlled Assignment. Include WJEC LABEL
Introduction • This should detail your final chosen theme and concept
inclusing the exam question you’ve chosen and why. Detail
the process and development and of your ideas and work.
2. Initial Planning • brainstorms of 2-3 exam questions
• Visual mood board of ideas, include photographer names
that connect to these ideas
3. Artist Research • Written Essay of 1500 words, to include comparing and
contrasting two different photographers. Analysing 2
different images in depth.
• Artist Comparison: Compare images you have
experimented with alongside images of your main
photographer’s work and show evidence of inspiration,
influence and similarities (composition etc).
4. Planning for
• Mind map of your ideas for your final theme. Need to
include a clear explanation of what you are doing and why.
should aim for a
minimum of 4-6
Each Photoshoot must include the following:
• Shooting plan –detailing what you are going to do, why,
how, when and where. Need to include technical details
and most importantly WHY – how have your ideas
developed from your previous photoshoot.
• Visual influences – include any new visual influences.
• Contact sheet – annotate best/worst shots
• Analysis of best images/images that didn’t work well.
Print best/worst images and analyse how and why they
worked/didn’t in regards to camera technique, lighting
(To illustrate your points remember to draw on your images
and draw diagrams of lighting used etc)
• Also how do they reflect our concept and link to your
• Evaluate your shoot – strengths and weaknesses –
what to improve in the next one and how your ideas
have moved forward.
and Mock ups of
You must demonstrate:
• Are you using any other experimental techniques?
Photoshop or tactile? Have you documented how you’ve
done this in your sketchbook? Screen grabs will be
e.g. experiment with colour palette or use of text with your
images and detail how and why you did this.
• Experiment with different types of presentation techniques,
draw diagrams of ideas but also produce mock ups with
your actual images.
• Include contextual research for how you choose to present
your work with an explanation of HOW and WHY this
connects to your concept.
• Is it fit for purpose?
7. Final Planning • What are you planning to do in your exam? Write a final
explanation as to how your idea has
developed/changed/improved since your initial
• What will be the final outcomes you use and why?
8. Final Outcomes Produced in the exam
• Artist statement printed and mounted.
• Print and present final outcomes.
• Take photographs of your final work and include this in
9. Evaluation of
Produced in the exam
• Evaluate the experimental project as a whole.
If you have any questions in regards to the ART2 controlled assignment contact
Jaskirt Boora: firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember to keep checking Moodle and the college blog for help: