Home automation and sensors
Quantify Self meetup, Combinat56, Munich 2012.05.10 by Janis Alnis
• Home automation becomes popular thanks to Internet.
• Below my mentors house in Zurich.
• Webcam, control of lights , window jalousie via iPhone.
• Professional systems KNX and X10 are expensive.
How it started
Online real-time Geiger counter
to monitor radioactivity in air
Live near Garching Forschungsreaktor
Assembled 2 weeks before Fukushima
Fukushima 11 March
• Geiger tube clicks are counted by Arduino microcontroller
• USB connection with Linux PC webserver that makes graphs
• No effect of Fukushima. Increased radiation during rain observed. That is normal effect.
• Wrote a description at Instructables.com
Low cost, low power consumption Linux boards
• Every board has some compatibility problems.
• Mini notebooks are best in compatibility. Ubuntu 10.10.
• Mobile phones best in power consumption and functionality. Android programming not easy.
Alix-PC NanosG20 Foxboard Beagleboard
Bifferboard Raspberry Pi Samsung i5500
WLAN router webserver for automation
• Pocket router TP-LINK WR703N.
• 400 MHz CPU. 1 W power consumption.
• OpenWRT linux. Still works as router.
• USB hub, flash memory stick, HDD, NAS, FTP
• HD Webcam + 1 W power, Logitech C270
• USB sound card: Internet radio, mp3 player
• USB GSM modem
weather forecast, revolvermaps, Pachube graphs
• Arduino home automation via USB:
temperature, light, PIR alarm, sound level, switches
Internet controlled power outlets
wireless temperature sensors 433 MHz.
Selling on Ebay – kind of World conquering.
AU, IT, CL, SG, PT, LV .
Offering cloud storage.
Car number plate detection Singapure.
Keep in touch with mom 2000 km away
Elderly people – no computer skills.
Simpler solution needed.
• Router + Webcam
• WiFi client, internet from neighbours
• SIP phone, Skype phone, smartphone
•Arduino temperature, PIR motion det.
Mobile Webcam for places without internet and power
• See if right time to go to skatepark , play football or ice hockey.
• MobileWebcam.apk for Android, free, good support from developer.
• 1 HD photo/10 min. 20 MB/day. GSM O2 data 15 EUR/month. Samsung 90 EUR.
• Weather-proof box with LiPo 4V, 16 Ah. 2-3 months attendance free. Box 50 EUR.
• Solar charging possible.
Temperature sensor for Pachube – Cosm
• Video and temperature monitoring from anywhere
• Free Windows software, cloud storage
• USB thermometer stick
• Alarms by email
• software motion detection
• movie generation
Tried different low power Linux boards for home automation .
Wrote descriptions at Instructables.com.
Private ambitions fullfilled:
• Can talk to mom and see how she is via a router.
• Autonomous GSM webcam works:
Uses: summer house, construction site, graffiti prevention, bird nest, sport meetups, events, old
people remote care, cemeteries, lakes, parking lots, skiing hill, plant growth, time lapse video.
Commercialization of ideas -not my strong side.
May be write or join some EU project?
• EU Future and Emerging Technologies (FET)
to improve peoples lives
• EU objective: Health
• Aging Europe
• Improve life quality of older people
Appendix: my QS data
Sleep length and quality monitor
Temperature sensor in bed (blue)
2-Jan 1-Feb 2-Mar 1-Apr 1-May 31-May Snorking during night
Vibration or sound intensity