Are Children Smarter Today Because of the internet
Are children smarter today
because of the internet ?
Name: Md Jahirul Islam Sojib
ID # 133 0152 640
Faculty Name : Dr. Deena P Forkan
Area of Research
• I intended to find out if the parents agree with
the hypothesis that internet is the main reason
of children being smarter today. In order to find
my desired information I analyzed the following
• Monthly Income
• Do they allow children to use the internet
• What electronics they use to access the internet
• And many more
• For my primary research, I have conducted a
survey of 30 participants who are parents of the
children and provided them with a questionnaire
with 10 different type of questions in order to get
a series of useful data
• For my secondary research, I used the resources
of the library , online journals and also used the
help of search engine ( Google )
100 % participants are positive about
their children using the internet.
In both graphs, 80 % of the participants agree that
children performs better after using educational
website and they enjoy it.
70 % of the participants think that children understanding on the
educational website depends on the layout of the website. And majority of
the children learn very quickly (according to the pie chart.)
According to the bar graph,Children neglect their
study and making them lazy. 90 % of the
participants say so.
Lastly, I got 70 % positive response that internet is
the source of making the children smarter.
According to the response, I can conclude that my
hypothesis has been proven true.
Secondary data presentation
• Children of 2 years old, more than 90% of them
have an online history. At 5, more than 50%
regularly interact with a computer or tablet
device, and by 7 or 8, many kids regularly play
• ( Chelsea C., 2012 )
• The only limitation encountered during the
course of this research is the sample size. It was
difficult to get a proper representation of the
population, as 30 parents cannot be said to be
enough to actually represent the number of
parents’ with children who use the internet
• Since the hypothesis has been proven true, it means the
internet plays a direct role in the children being smarter
• I have some recommendations :
1. Parents and teachers should spend time with children
in the online environment.
2. Parents should (in consultation with their children) set
reasonable use and time limits of Internet use.
3. Full use of filtering and parental controls should be
made both in the house and in the school environment.
4. Parents and educators should emphasize that the
principle ‘Don’t speak to strangers’ also applies in the
Thanks for your valuable time
• Bremer, J. (2005). The internet and children. K. V. Kukil (Ed.). New York, NY: Anchor.
• Roosevelt, A. (2014). Internet. Retrieved from
• Raze, K. (2010). World Today. Retrieved from
• Gatwick, A. L., Robb, M., Takeuchi, L, &Kilter, J. (2010). Always connected: The new
• digital media habits of young children. New York: The Joan Gens Coney Center
• Livingstone, S. (2003). Children's use of the internet: Reflections on the emerging
• research agenda. New Media & Society 5(2), 147-166.
• Livingstone, S., &Helsper, E. (2007). Gradation in digital inclusion: Children, young
• people and the digital divide. New Media & Society 9(4), 671-696.
• Livingstone, S. (2009). Children and the internet. British Journal of Educational
• Technology, 41(1), 144.
• Mesh, G. (2001). Social relationships and internet use among adolescents in Israel.
• Social Science Quarterly, 82(2), 329-339.
*All the above reference are in APA Style/Format.