My objects before being dipped in wax
I didn’t end up using all these objects because it was going to be difficult to dip some of them in wax. For example we put a piece of thread
through our objects to make it possible to dip them in the hot wax, however it wasn’t possible to do this the 5p coin. I also ended up using
some other objects like the button that aren’t in this photograph.
Post card to myself
This is the post card I wrote on. I took the idea from the word
‘preserve’ to decide to write my information on the card if someone
found it in the far future.
Changes to the texture
These are some of the other objects I dipped in
wax, both their colour and texture changes in this
process. On the left the jewelry ball made from
plastic needed more than one coating of wax. This
is because it struggled to stick to the smooth
surface of the object. The only problem with adding
more layers of wax is that it can loose the shape of
such a delicately surfaced object such as this one.
Metal bottle cap
One problem that I came across when I wanted to dip
this object in wax was, ‘how am I going to put a piece
of thread through a metal bottle cap’. I decided to try
and lift the plastic sealant on the inner side of the lid
because this would be soft enough to thread through.
As I did this I was able to peal the harder rim of the
plastic enough so that it was still firmly attached to
the cap but lifted enough to thread a piece of cotton
through it. I also love the dripping effect the wax has
had on the inner side of the cap.
I had to dip the flower in the wax more than once because it struggled to stick to the object. However after dipping it in
more than once it created a lovely icicle effect.
When putting thin office paper in wax it becomes
transparent. This is when I decided to write something
on one side and do a pattern on the other. By doing
this you can look on either side of the page and see a
similar sight to the other.
These are all the final objects that had been dipped in
wax. I decided to change some of the sizes of the
string holding the objects. This is because I didn’t want
them to be all clustered together.