Media and Society: Looking
at different Communities and
Groups on Social Media in
• What is Communication?
– The act or process of communicating; fact of being communicated.
– The imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by
speech, writing or signs.
– Something imparted, interchanged or transmitted.
– A document or message of imparting news, views, information, etc.
– Passage, or an opportunity or means of passage, between places.
• Computer Mediated Communication is communication within a
technological medium through which individuals construct social and
relational meaning.We use the term CMC to broadly describe any
technologically mediated communication. (Sherbolm 2020).
• What do we use Computer Mediated Communication for?
• How has it impacted our society?
• How can we interact with people on a personal and professional level
using Computer Mediated Communication?
Young Adolescents and Social
• Using social media to connect on a regular
• Different Social Media sites have different
criteria of posts you should post.
• Younger individuals have multiple different
social media accounts.
Longing for Interaction in today’s
• Us as humans are psychologically wired to want
interactions with other individuals.
• The interactions we are wanting with social media are
likes and comments on our Social Media Posts.
• If you get multiple likes and comments on your social
media posts, the better you feel about yourself.
Communities in Social Media
• Communities in social
media consist of individuals
who have common
interests who use the
• Are able to use these to get
in touch with other
Groups in Social Media
• A number of persons or
• A number of persons or
things ranged or
considered together as
being related in some way.
• Groups on social media differ
from communities on social
• A group is a way an individual
can outsource other
individuals through social
Communication in Professional
professionally takes practice
in the work place.
• Keeping a balance between
professional and personal
relationships is crucial.
• Professional relationships
can be hard to build through
Communication in Personal Life
• Balancing your personal
relationships in the
workplace can be
• Computer mediated
communication can make
difficult to achieve.
• Using tools like FaceTime,
Skype, and zoom meetings
can help the interaction feel
more personal when building
• Communication is a growing vessel in today’s
• Communication is not going away any time
• Computer Mediated Communication is going to
change the world and how we communicate with
• Boczkowski, P. J., Matassi, M., & Mitchelstein, E. (2018). How Young Users Deal With Multiple Platforms: The Role of Meaning-Making in Social
Media Repertoires. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 23(5), 245–259. doi: 10.1093/jcmc/zmy012
• Communication. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.dictionary.com/browse/communication?s=ts
• French, M., & Bazarova, N. N. (2017). Is Anybody Out There?: Understanding Masspersonal Communication Through Expectations for Response
Across Social Media Platforms. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 22(6), 303–319. doi: 10.1111/jcc4.12197
• Garrett, Kelly, R., Danziger, & N., J. (2008, July 1). Disaffection or expected outcomes:
• Understanding personal Internet use during work. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/jcmc/article/13/4/937/4583539?searchresult=1.
• Group. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.dictionary.com/brose/group?s=ts.
• Kiesler, S., Siegel, J., & McGuire, T. W. (1984). Social psychological aspects of computer-mediated communication. American Psychologist, 39(10),
• in Psychology, B. A. S. S. (2014, July 7). Computer Mediated Communication. Retrieved from