Syndicate & Tmartn
The Scandal surrounding CSGO-LOTTO
• The overview of the scandal involving Trevor Martin, online
alias Tmartn and Tom Cassel, online alias Syndicate follows the
two in the promotion of their gambling website, CSGO Lotto
and the fact that they failed to disclose the information that
they were partial owners of the site whilst advertising the
website over their YouTube channels.
• This action, in which Syndicate and Tmartn already broke
numerous YouTube community guidelines also brought up the
question of advertising gambling to children under the age of
18 which make up more than 40% of their 2.5 and 9 million
What Is CSGO Lotto
• CSGO lotto is a website in which players can gamble with in
game skins from the game CSGO. The real life worth of theses
skins can range from a couple of pence to thousands, as crazy
as it may seem these can be obtained by paying real life
money at a chance of getting a random in game skin for guns
within CSGO all valued by an internal market.
• The website, owned by the Two YouTubers allowed players to
place their valued skins into a pot gaining a percentage chance
of winning the whole thing, of course the website taking a cut
What did they do wrong?
• Both Sydicate and Tmartn made videos in which they not only
refused to disclose ownership of CSGO lotto but also went on
to say that they had stumbled across the site in the same
video, they also claimed that the website was a ‘Gold mine’
and that winning was easy painting a website they owned as if
it were the perfect product.
• Not only did this break many YouTube community guidelines,
its legality is also questionable as the law states that any
violation in the description of a product or must be disclaimed
or made clear of its actual service. For example advertising an
online casino it must be stated that the website is for the use
of people above the age of 18 and that care to be responsible
must be taken when gambling. Both TmarTn and Sydicate
failed to do so in multiple YouTube videos.
• Both offenders broke guidelines such as failing to disclose
affiliations with a company whilst promoting a product, as well
as the use of inappropriate or misleading titles/ thumbnails
by publishing videos with dubious titles such as “HOW TO WIN
$13,000 IN 5 MINUETS”.
• The punishment for breaking guidelines is a strike, the
guidelines dictates that if a channel obtains three strikes their
channel is banned from YouTube all together.
• These strikes however can be disputed and often are. The
problems with them include the frequency in which they are
handed out as well as the frequency in which they are
removed they are too easy to get and too east to ignore/ get
removed. Many believe the punishment they received was far
The action taken
• An ongoing lawsuit by an anonymous parent of a child
affected by the actions of TmarTn and Syndicate is currently
being investigated apart from this very little action has been
• Both Syndicate and TmarTn have both received a singular
strike from YouTube. Which has little to no affect. YouTube
argued that the negative media surrounding the two were just
in punishment in which they lost a a small percentage of their
• The website CSGO Lotto was threatened to be taken down by
valve the creators of CSGO however no action was taken on
What does this mean for
• If this had occurred within a paper or on television the fines
would be far more substantial. The way in which the internet
is censored allows for many events such as this to go relatively
unpunished even though the actions by the two you tubers
affected tens of thousands people across the world. Many felt
they had been misled into giving their money to people they
thought they could trust.
• This shows a complete skew away from the censorship of
media sources such as YouTube which is a problem as the
whole point in censorship of the media is to completely
remove the misuse of it which is avoided if groups chose to
censor only the largest industries.