Job Title Talent & Innovation Manager
Salary: £30,680 + Benefits (Rising to £35,590 after 2yrs
Directorate: Corporate Services
Reporting to: Senior HR Business Partner, Talent & People
Responsible for: No direct reports
The purpose of this post is to help develop and drive the initiatives and activities that
underpin the organisations approach to organisation development in relation to talent
management. Directly supporting the Senior HR Business partner, Talent & People
Development, you will work closely with other colleagues in HR to introduce
innovative ways to improve the processes, systems, networks, links and collaborative
ventures that is the ‘talent pipeline’ for OGCbuying.solutions to enable the
acquisition, development, management and retention of talent.
This role is also pivotal in delivering the organisation’s approach to career
development and succession planning. As a result, the post holder is required to
work closely with the Senior Manager HR Business Partnering.
Main Responsibilities & Deliverables
The postholder will support the delivery of the talent strategy with a particular focus
on the development and delivery of the talent pipeline through which the post-holder
will deliver and manage the following:
• Bespoke in-house graduate scheme;
• Access to external sources of high potential staff (civil service fast stream/
GPS / OGC/professional bodies etc.);
• Links with academic institutions (for interns, researchers, MBA projects,
permanent resource etc.);
• Links with industry, supply and customer base and other organisations to
enable a structured approach to inward and outward secondments/loans;
• Innovative approaches to access pools of talent in areas of scarce skills in
conjunction with the HRBP’s
In respect of the development, management and retention of talent, the postholder
will actively manage and monitor the following:
• The overall approach to career development and management, including the
maintenance and further development of competency frameworks
• Talent planning activities including providing support to the HRBP’s with
resource planning approaches and working with the People Development
Manager to implement innovative approaches to developing talent ‘pools’ e.g.
leadership and ‘high flyers’ programmes
• The roll out of a Management and Leadership development strategy working
closely with the other Senior HR colleagues and senior stakeholders across
the organisation and our external training service providers.
• Working closely with the Senior HR Business Partner across a range of
associated activity, and in particular the co ordination and management of the
succession planning processes and organisational design activities
• The management and maintenance of the in-house integrated talent and
performance management system
• The production and analysis of key talent management information and
associated HR metrics.
• The provision of advice and guidance to line managers on all aspects of talent
and performance management that will drive the talent strategy forward
Required Competences and Experience
• Leads, manages and promotes a positive attitude to change, supporting the
team through change
• Enables the development of high performing teams across Buying Solutions,
getting the best from everyone. Takes the lead on and encourages innovation
within the team and promotes learning and development.
• Maintains good relationships with senior management, peers and other
colleagues and manages and supports a culture of high performance.
Analysis and Use of Evidence
• Ensure that evidence is collected, analysed and used to support all personal and
team decisions. Keeps required, auditable records of evidence.
• Sets reasoned priorities for the team and contributes to the strategic
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to deliver
business presentations clearly and confidently to senior audience stakeholders.
• Strong inter-personal and influencing skills, able to use a constructive approach
to communication which ensures effective and constructive stakeholder
Programme & Project Management
• The ability to operate PPM techniques effectively in all environments a track
record of delivering on time within budget.
JOB RELATED FUNCTIONAL COMPETENCES
Specialist Knowledge and Experience
• Direct involvement in the introduction and roll out of a structured approach to
learning and talent identification, acquisition, management and retention.
• A learning and development professional with sharp end experience of
supporting a ‘learning organisation’.
• Clear understanding and experience of rolling out organisational strategy aligned
to vision and values.
• Experience of devising and implementing innovative solutions to upskill and
encourage talent development using competency frameworks and in support of
performance management systems.
Member of the CIPD or studying towards membership with a minimum of 5
years experience in HR People Development related role
Experience in competency based recruitment selection and performance
Ability to managing all performance and talent development tools, such as the
Performance Management, Career Development, and succession planning
Knowledge and experience of talent acquisition working with recruitment
agencies and specialists, universities, colleges, HR partners and internal
stakeholders and training providers
Evidence of relationship management and collaboration at all levels including
excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, with evidence of
presenting ideas clearly to individuals and groups.
The post holder must have proven ability to develop programmes for targeting
the recruitment and selection of early talent for the organisation including
experience of running graduate schemes and conducting assessments.
High level of IT skills preferably with experience of using and maintaining HR
Assessor or trainer qualification
Experience of managing projects using recognised Project Management
tools and techniques
Experience of managing staff or holder of a management qualification
Ability to undertake travel