• Advertising data
ACCOUNTING & FINANCIAL STATEMENTS INFORMATION
• Schedule of manual journal entries above a particular level (e.g.,
Rs.50,000; dependent on size of company), with summary of backup for
each entry and senior executive authorizing the entry.
• Adjustments to prior period data.
• Analysis of budget variations.
• Analysis of deviations from accounting standards.
• Analysis of major revenue items with possible alternative accounting
• Linearity Analysis of revenue by division or segments compared to prior
• Current asset-impairment analyses for major assets and changes from
• Analysis of changes in reserve accounts (like bad debt, excess/obsolete
inventory ; accounts-payable accruals),
• Details of basis for the amount of reserve and explanation of changes
from formula or rationale in prior periods
INFORMATION FROM INTERNAL AUDIT
• The findings, conclusions, recommendations, any reservations or
• Areas of non existence or weaknesses in internal controls .
• Areas where internal controls exist, but exceptions are observed.
• Improvements brought about in the operations between the last audit
and the current audit.
• Analysis of receivables aging, along with comparison of current data to
• Schedule of returns by customer, including comparisons to prior periods
• Analysis of significant sales to new customers,
• Schedule of significant collection problems, with explanation of reasons
• Schedule of deviations from standard payment or discount terms on
Review of other information
• Concentration of customers
• Concentration of suppliers
• Periodical review of system for prevention of fraud and
• Review of analyst estimates.
• Periodical review of organisational structure and staffing to
ensure that they are adequate with regard to organisation’s
• Reporting of issues: Management needs to be informed of
technical problems like machinery breakdown, equipment failure,
telecommunications failure, hardware/software problems, space
related issues, staff attrition etc.
• Reporting of transaction related issues: Reporting on exceptional
transaction related issues, like failure to deliver on time,
unresolved customer complaints, loss of goods etc.
• Reporting of events requiring management intervention:
Procedure for reporting events that require management
USING EXECUTIVE INFORMATION SYSTEM
Reports derived from financial system can be obtained using computer
based reporting systems generically called Executive Information System (EIS).
An EIS provides graphical displays and has drill down capabilities, which help
top-level executives analyze, compare, and highlight trends in important
variables so that they can monitor performance and identify opportunities and
Provided below are the features of the two widely used software:
HYPERION SYSTEM 9 BI+
Interactive Reporting features
• It has graphical interactive dashboard which can be personalised by the
users . Dashboards provide a cohesive view of operations which makes it
easier to spot trends so that opportunities can be utilised or corrective
• Dashboards offer at-a-glance summaries of key performance indicators
(KPIs) so managers can quickly spot trends and anomalies, select
different views of data, and drill into deeper detail for the most
relevant insight into the health of the business.
• Interactive Reporting synthesizes multiple analyst reports,
presentations, and spreadsheets to deliver visibility into organizational
• Access a wide variety of business data sources. Data can be accessed and
analysed from transactional systems, data warehouses, and data marts.
Managers and analysts can access both data and metadata from multiple
sources on one report, gaining side-by-side analysis.
• Users can provide drill paths into additional reports and other
dashboards for deeper analysis.
• Provides multiple levels of viewing and analysis in a single report. Rather
than being forced to design multiple reports for people with different
access privileges, Interactive Reporting lets you deliver a single report
that different users can interact with based on their varying privileges.
• Reports support both pre-defined and “drill anywhere” analysis, allowing
users to instantly expand their ad hoc analyses by adding items to their
• Business users can create a dashboard with easy, wizard based
• Requires minimal training and support and encourages rapid user
• Managers who best understand their business needs can work with
business analysts to quickly create dashboards without relying on IT.
• Provides Offline access. This enables mobile employees, customers,
and partners to view business information, even when they’re
• Interactive Reporting lets non-technical users quickly create their
analyses with its drag-and-drop functionality. Managers access
common data models created by power users, analysts, or IT—and
then select information, specify sorts, define filters, even create
computed items. They also can access report visualization options,
such as charts, gauges, and pivots for “cross-tab” reporting.
Conditional formatting further enables a management-by-exception
Compliance Dashboard features
• It helps in assessment of potential risk exposures.
• It helps in identifying the remediation needed to correct gaps in
internal controls and provides confidence to senior management that
financial statements and disclosures are accurate and in full
• It includes a data model with pre-built connectors to data sources, a
set of compliance metrics, as well as a series of easy-to-use
dashboard screens, gauges, meters and stoplights designed to rapidly
convey the critical information financial managers require.
• It provides important financial insights like the status of the financial
• If potential risk exposures are identified, one can drill into time
periods, sub-accounts, and different entities in the organizational
hierarchy to quickly discover the potential source of the risks.
• Gain rich insight into your business
• Move beyond silos of business intelligence and disconnected spreadsheets
• Understand customer segments and behavior patterns
• Rapidly discover trends and highlights in large datasets with an innovative
• Gain deep analytic power and responsiveness for thousands of simultaneous
• Reduce costs with easy, fast development, deployment, and maintenance
• Rely on robust security
Gain rich insight into your business: Essbase Analytics supports more than 250
sophisticated algorithms out of the box, with extensible analytics and
procedural calculations built on centralized logic and business rules.
• Financial functions such as Net Present Value, Rate of Return, and Compound
Growth are important for translating strategic goals into operational plans,
evaluating competing requests for capital expenditures, and tracking the
effectiveness of capital investment decisions. Expense reporting is as easy as
tagging members that require expense computation, making all subsequent
calculations involving those members “expense aware.”
• Time series algorithms track moving minimum, maximum, and average
• Statistics and data mining are important to predict customer purchasing
behavior based on a variety of pricing and promotional strategies.
Microsoft Office Integration
• Hyperion System 9 BI+provides advanced Microsoft Office integration so
business users can leverage Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook, and
• PowerPoint as interactive access points to centralized analytic data.
Secure, multi-user write back allows users to interactively create forecasts,
budgets, and plans to
• allocate resources.
Understand customer segments and behavior patterns.
• Clustering, attributes, and set analysis. Essbase Analyticsincludes features
such as clustering, attributes, and set analysis to make it easy to create
• Company can assess customer affinity to a particular message, product,or
service; and determine which communication channel to use for cross-sell
and up-sell campaigns into different segments.
Rapidly discover trends and highlights in large datasets with an innovative
visual interface. Essbase Analytics and Enterprise Analytics are easy to use and
allow even novice database users to rapidly discover trends and highlights in
Gain deep analytic power and responsiveness for thousands of simultaneous
users. Essbase Analytics and EnterpriseAnalytics deliver sub-second response
times for sophisticated analysis of terabytes of data for thousands of
simultaneous users, and giving business users speed-of-thought responsiveness
to manage performance in real time.
Reduce costs with easy, fast development, deployment, and maintenance.
Manageability features of Essbase Analyticsand Enterprise Analytics make it
easy to quickly address business needs at a lower cost of development,
Rely on robust security. As a module of the HyperionSystem 9 BI+ platform,
Essbase Analytics integrates with the platform’s common authentication system
the administrative and maintenance costs of users integrating with LDAP,
MSAD, and NTLM authentication systems.
• Control of user access. User access can be controlled down to the
individual cell level through Essbase Analytics functionality,which
safeguards sensitive information.
• Group- and role-based security models. Flexible security models
allow your users to access the information they need to drive
performance while supporting the accesscontrol required.
COGNOS 8 BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE
Time Series Analysis
Time Series Analysis
• Built in time series analysis lets users quickly and easily performance
from one period to the next using automatic calculations for absolute
• Support for large data volumes lets users explore large flat business
dimensions such as products users can control the data they view,
search for values with a simple right mouse click
• Details & attributes: Provides users with related information about
the data they want to analyze, including attributes defined in the
OLAP data source.
• Top/Bottom “N” analyses: Helps users isolate best and worst
performers in any dimension , based on any measure
• Drag –and –Drop context: Lets users focus on most relevant
information. Users can set the context of a report based on
sophisticated category combinations.
• Present key performance data in automotive style gauges to see
performance data at a glance.
• Integrate information from different sources into a single chart
that users can print and share
• Interactive maps provide high level information and let users drill
through to more detail