Turns out that most of the facilities I talked to didn’t really think about what they were going to do AFTER implementation. They tried to plug the new technology into their existing workflow. While I think that may work in some circumstances, overall I don’t think it’s necessarily a good approach. Instead of trying to force the technology into our existing workflow, I decided to step back and figure out a way to build the workflow around the technology. After we had invested a lot of time, energy and money into this equipment and we wanted to maximize it’s benefits. With the help of several technicians and lots of trial and error, we developed our current system. It’s clearly a work in progress and we’ve made several changes along the way. We’ve found that there’s almost always a better way to do things, we just have to figure our what that way is. This slide shows a couple of photos of one of our carousels…the photo on the left is during installation and the one on the right is how the carousel looks today. I have photos of the entire installation posted on Google’s Picasa website if anyone is interested in taking a look at them. http://picasaweb.google.com/jerry.fahrni/CarouselInstall#
Because we underestimated the amount of storage space we needed, we’ve had to take advantage of every little nook and cranny. Each shelf in the carousel has these little supports that are pretty much wasted space. To take advantage of them, we ordered some small bins from Herman Miller (A-size subcontainer and are 2-3/16″ High x 13-13/16″ Deep x 2-1/4″ Wide) that fit perfectly in the gaps. We use them to hold small items like opthalmic drops, otic preps, etc. It’s opened up a few slots in the carousel.
stick with it. So far it’s worked our for the best.