• A 5% reduction in the customer defection rate can increase
profits by 5 – 95% – Bain & Company.
• It costs 6–7 times more to acquire a new customer than retain
an existing one – Bain & Company.
• The probability of selling to an existing customer is 60 – 70%.
The probability of selling to a new prospect is 5-20% – Marketing
• A 2% increase in customer retention has the same effect as
decreasing costs by 10% – Leading on the Edge of Chaos, Emmet
Murphy & Mark Murphy.
Here’s our 8-step guide for winning those repeat attendees – regardless of your budget!
• Make your past attendees feel special
• Send handwritten invitations, put on exclusive events or invite them
to mentor new attendees
• For top tier influencers, invite them to join an advisory board
• Offer something of exclusive value, such as a special drinks reception or
• Room upgrades, private transfers and tickets to local cultural events are
other great ways to reward them
• Straightforward discounts can also be an effective means of retention
• 365-days-a-year communication is key to building trust and loyalty
• Where possible, lead with non-sales content & communication like speaker
interviews, guides and market insights
• It doesn’t have to be time consuming, a weekly newsletter that rounds up
interesting industry news is better than nothing!
• ‘If it aint broke, don’t fix it’ can work wonders for repeat events
• Repeat dates and locations can build expectations that prompt returning
• Even repeat themes can work in your favour by not chasing fads, but focusing
on what really matters
• While consistency can play a key role in the success of an event, people won’t
return if they don’t think there’s something new to discover
• Prominently show who will be new at your event, because network opportunities
• Where you have repeat themes, evolve them to cater for more advanced
audiences who came last year
• Nothing kills repeat business more than under-delivering on expectations and
bad customer service.
• “A customer is 4 times more likely to defect to a competitor if the problem is
service-related than price- or product-related – Bain & Company.”
• If you can surpass expectations on the day, then the chances of steps 1-7 being
successful will increase dramatically!
For a more in-depth guide to winning repeat
conference attendees, check out the full post here.
For more great content focused on helping your
events succeed, visit our blog: blog.eventbrite.co.uk
• Over $2B in ticket sales
• Over 165 million tickets sold
• 25% of gross ticket sales made in the last 6 months
• 16 million monthly site visitors:
• Localised in 14 countries
• 7 languages supported by our customer service team
• Average number of organisers using Eventbrite each
• Millions of events on our platform
• Why not get your event on Eventbrite today? Join here!