What is communicationCommunication is sharinginformation between two ormore parties .Verbal or Nonverbal.
What is marketing communication.Marketing communication issharing information betweenmarketer (business organization)with their target customers withthe purpose of influence theirattitude or buying behavior .
Component of the communicationprocess.Who is sender.• Organization or seller• Originator of the message.What is encoding ?• Process of putting thoughts in to words ,diagrams,symbolic forms.• Encode message very creatively in marketing byusing words ,symbols, pictures &scenes,background etc.
What is message? output of the encoding. Idea or information such as product features &quality, Benefits, prices, how to use, where you can buy etc.What is media or channel ?• The way of message move from the sender toreceiver.• personal or non-personal channel inmarketing.
What is decoding? Process of interpretation of the message receivedby the receiver. Student activity-see the advertisement of Naturesecrets and give your idea about thatadvertisement.Who is receiver?• Potential or existing Customer or organization(Target market)
Tools of marketing communicationAdvertising.Sales promotions.Public relations.Personal selling.Direct marketing.
What is advertising ? Definition of advertising .Any paid form of non-personalcommunication between marketer andthe target customer with the purposepromotion of ideas,goods or services toinfluence or persuade the attitude orbuying behaviour of target customers.(Philip Kotler )
Unique characteristic ofadvertising. One way communication. Mass coverage at once. Sight, sound & motion specially intelevision advertising. High creativity & live telecast in television. High attractiveness of the customers. Can repeat.
• Television advertising.• Print advertising.• Outdoor advertising.• Following are popular advertisements.Examples-Nestomolt,Airtel,,Apiwenuwen Api campaign etc
What is sales promotion?Short term -direct inducement toPersuade the buying behavior ofcustomers,traders and salespersonsimmediately.• Eg-:New year season,cargills foodcity,Abans ,Singer mega offer morediscounts to customer.
Tools for sales promotion. Major two types of sales promotion. Consumer promotion tools and Tradepromotion tools. Consumer promotion tools targeting thepersuade the buying behavior of customers. Trade promotion targeting the wholesalersand retailers by offering incentives to pushthe product to consumers.
Consumer promotion tools.• Samples.• Coupons.• Discounts.• Premiums.• Bonus packs.• Contests ,Sweepstakes & Games.• Advertising specialties .• Point of purchase displays etc.
What is personal sellingTwo way communication between Salesperson and customers with the purposeof making sale and building customerrelationship.Eg-: Popular in Insurance business inSriLanka.
What is public relation& publicity. Building good relations with the company’svarious publics(stakeholders) to crate positiveattitude ,favourable publicityand corporate image regarding company name &product.Who are the stakeholders?Can u answer ?
What is public relation& publicity.Programs and activities done byOrganization to crate positive attitudeamong the public.Eg-: EAP group always offerdonationssuch as wheelchairs,spectales,homes, to the helplesspeople.
• NEWS AND PUBLICITY.• SPECIAL EVENTS sutc.ch as newsconferences,grand openings, sponsor to the publicprograms etc.• PRESS RELEASE.• Speeches.• Interviews .• Written materials suchas annualreports, brochures, company newsletter &magazine.
• Corporate identity materials such as logos,business cards, business uniforms, buildings etc.• Sponsor public service activities such as newyear festival, community programs,donations etc.• Website and E-mail.
What is Direct marketing. Direct communications with carefullytargeted individual consumers to obtain animmediate response. Today direct marketing is very popularamong the companies & customers. One to one marketing.
Forms of Direct Marketing.Catalogue marketing.Telemarketing.Direct Mail marketingonline marketing .Database marketing.Eg-: Oriflame company , Pizza,Teleseen marketng companyetc.
Kotler on MarketingIntegrated marketingcommunication is a way oflooking at whole marketingProcess from the viewpoint ofthe customer.
Definitions for IMCIMC is the combination of allmarketing communication tools at thesame time with the purpose ofconveying acomplete,consistent,comprehensivemessage to change attitude and buyingbehavior of target customers.
Integrated marketingcommunicationsIntegrated Marketing Communications(IMC) is defined as customer centric, datadriven method of communicating with thecustomers.IMC is the coordination and integration of allmarketing communication tools, andsources within a company that maximizesthe impact on consumers and other endusers at a minimum cost
This management concept is designedto make all aspects of marketingcommunication such asadvertising, sales promotion, publicrelations, and direct marketing worktogether as a unified force, rather thanwork in separately.
Role of IMCSeveral shifts in the advertising and mediaindustry have caused IMC popular formarketers:suchas From media advertising to multiple forms ofcommunication. From mass media to more specialized (niche)media, which are centered on specific targetaudiences. From a manufacturer-dominated market to aretailer-dominated, consumer-controlled market.
• From limited Internet access to 24/7Internet availability and access to goods andservices. From general-focus advertising andmarketing to data-based marketing.
Importance of IMC. More valuable importance is that companycan maximize the influence to the buyingbehavior of target customers by using thevarious marketing tools for communicationin same period rather than having themmore separately.
1. It can create competitive advantage, boost sales andprofits, while saving money, time and stress. 2. IMC wraps communications around customers andhelps them move through the various stages of thebuying process. 3. It build Relationship Marketing which can protectcustomers from competition. The ability to keep acustomer as loyal customer is a powerful competitiveadvantage. 4. IMC also increases profits through increasedeffectiveness of communication.
5. Carefully linked messages also help buyers by givingtimely reminders, updated information .6. IMC also makes messages more consistent , completeand more credible. This reduces risk in the mind ofthe buyer .