Best of scrum and lean startup for product development
Prepared by :
Anish Cheriyan, Director, Huawei
Best of Scrum and Lean Startup
for product development
Prepared By Anish Cheriyan,
Director, Huawei Technologies
• Typical Challenges of Large Organization
• Development method based on degree of uncertainty
• Background of the Business Problem
• Lean Startup and Scrum practices applied
Typical Challenges of Big Organization
• One size fits all solution for the management
• Failure is a failure
• Delayed Validated Learning
One size fits all solution for the management
Picture Courtesy: wikimedia.org
Large Organization have ready made past proven life cycle following waterfall, scrum,
scrumban or related life cycle. Teams somehow forcefiet the project into such framework.
What happens if you fail
Failure is not considered good in most situations or may be in all situations.
Picture Courtesy: dietlogo.com
Delayed Validated Learning
In most cases the validated learning comes after we do the big bang development.
2 week to 3 months duration
Method based on degree of uncertainty
Based on degree of uncertainty development method can be used.
Background of the Business Problem
• Embedded Development.
• Customer was not clear about the
• Not clear about what feature is
“A Startup is a
deliver a product
Concept Plan …
We used the Lean Startup framework to validate the problem and the solution and for
scaling we used the product development life cyde
Scrum and Lean Startup Applied
Integrated Product Development Process
Key Practices used
. Lean Canvas
. Interview, . Survey
. Go out of the
. Working Prototype
. Customer Demo
. One Metric that
Concept Plan Develop Release
. Scrum Life Cycle
. Continuous Delivery
. All related practices
Lean Canvas, Wireframing and iterative development practices were extensively used.
• We have been able to finalize around 15 key features
of the product using Lean Startup and Scrum
• Right now realization is in progress.
• We are 100% confident about the success of these
features as customer has seen the working feature.
“Life is too short to build something which