About the session
• Limits of IT-focused transformation
• Why HR?
• HR’s team transformation
• HR’s impact on agility
• HR’s experiments
• Lessons learned
The glass ceiling of IT transformation
• Management role
• General misalignment
• Rigid tools
• Office space
• Budget speed
• Yearly reviews
An(y) effective organization needs:
What is our impact?
Ability to do the work
between the two.
The full article: HR, but why?
Hire, Pay, Fire
• Sharpest vision
• Focused execution power
• Strongest alignment
- Understand agility
- Acknowledge current status, and needs. (of all org.levels)
- Enhance Purpose, execution-power and alignment
- Making them an Agile team
- Tackling Agile organisational issues
Happy employees, Self-learning organisation
HR Agile Training
What is Agility?
- Do you believe in the agile values?
- Does the organization believe in values?
What is our purpose?
- Happy Employees
- A self learning organization
We believe, but the organization…
If we believe, who is the organization that doesn’t?
What is happiness?
Do we understand what makes people happy?
HR Scrum Training (by the book)
PO, SM(?), Team
Planning, daily scrum, demo, retro
Artifacts: Prioritised Backlog
Scrum Buts… And challenges...
Team availability and fluidity
Focus on impact & measure
How to demo, to whom?
We are employees!
We are our users!
We are motivated!
Our impact is visible!
We can demo to management!
Story #1 Employee: Feel my voice is heard and used
- Convert survey to discussions and groups
- Produce a master backlog
- Get Mgmnt Commitment
Learning: Involve your users! engage your stakeholders!
Story #2 Employee: Control meeting boundaries
- non-round hours
Learning: Effort != Impact
Story #3 All: Enhance meeting’s effectiveness
Effective meetings signs
Tweak signs with meeting advice.
>>> The Meeting Spicer
Learning: Power of iterating
Story #4 All:Work with no interrupts
Buy-in from CEO
Learning: act fast, be an opportunist
Story #5 HR: Want to be heard
Improve HR Communication
Learning: Admit failure to succeed
Story #6 Org: Effective yearly review training
• Measure current state
• Focus on purpose
• Change format
• Measure results
Learning: start with why
Story #7 All: Half day learning
Idea: self organized, HR facilitated.
Learning: leverage success
• Kudos day
• Employee lunch 1-on-1s
• Employee survey tool
• CEO Breakfast
• CEO box
• Empower employee learning (break interview format)
• Short iterations
• One team > individuals
• Think impact and not work
• Be brave
• Scrum works
• Team engagement is key (for good or bad)
The whys: (an ugly but important slide)
- HR transformation is cheaper
- It is more visible to management
- It is less risky:
they understand the real org-boundaries, human centered and mostly women (the #1 factor in
collective intelligence is the # of women)
- Distills agility to the organisation’s DNA
- HR’s first-hand experience of employee’s journey
- Enable HR to remove org-impediments
Managing for Happiness : Jurgen Appelo
Agile People : Pia-Maria Thoren