2. Kaoru Ishikawa
• July 13, 1915
• City of Tokyo
• Earned his degree in engineering from the
University of Tokyo
• He enlisted in the Navy as an acting officer for
the Japanese at the beginning of World War
3. Cause and Effect diagram
• The user can see all possible causes of a
result, and hopefully find the root of process
• This diagram provides quality improvement
from the "bottom up."
5. • In 1962, he developed quality circles.
• Groups of people who are trained to
identify and solve work problems, they
present their final solutions to top
management in an effort to improve the
performance of an organization.
• Seven Quality Tools:
7. • 1969- Member of ISO, Japan
• 1970- Commenced conducting quality
control training seminars.
Consultant to Ford Motor Company,
Bridgestone Co. Ltd, Komatsu Manufacturing,
Ltd., IBM Japan, American Society for Quality
Control and thousands of other companies.
• 1977 - Chairman of ISO, Japan
• 1981- Executive Member of ISO