The DNA of the creative employee, Anna Porse - Growing Games 2015
September 3rd 2015
Anna Porse Nielsen
• Who am I?
• The DNA of the creative employee
• A new type of employee
• Four archetypes
• Motivating the primadonna
• Good advice..
• 9 years as CEO of my own company
• 7 years in different organisations
• Mentor for creative entrepreneurs
• Board member of a number of cultural
• A degree in Political Science
• A passion for leadership.
Point of departure
• From the industrial economy to the
knowledge and experience economy.
• Two fundamental shifts:
• Post WW2: Modernity and identity as an
• Increasing wealth: All our fundamental needs
A new type of employee
• Industrial thinking => The creative class..
• Highly specialised employees with
creativity at the core of their work:
• Strong professional values
• Specialist status
• Autonomy at work
• Work as a ”calling”
• Work has to have a higher purpose
• Classical motivational theory: Salary, social
belonging and self actualisation
• Popular recent motivational theory: Generation
Y - Critical and spoiled from the start: Demands
challenging tasks, no routine work and good
leadership (but then came the financial crisis…)
• Critical motivational theory: Traditional control
(power) has been replaced by inner ideological
control (protestant work ethics).
• => Need for a new theory..
How to lead the primadonna?
• The calling!
• Search for meaning
Emotional & psycholo-
gical state of mind
• The kick - when everything makes sense
• Flow and the search for flow
What can you do then???
• Shielding leadership
• Authentic alignment between:
• The values and ideals of the professional
• The outer expectations
• The practical framework for the work
• Feedback - praise & critique.
A bit of advice!
• Think in terms of feeding “the calling”
• Be courageous
• Inspire and be passionate
• Be generous
• Protect and take care of your primadonnas
and recognise that people are different..